Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    nope, can't be on the syllabus of any courses you're taking

ReputationRep:
    I feel you. Mine is pissing me off big time.
    But no, sorry, it's not allowed to be on any of your syllabus. :console:

ReputationRep:
    hmm, but really i'm not even doing psychology anymore, i finished that and got my a-level for it already. does that make a difference? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyyazzy6)
    Hi I'm really stuck on what to do atm with my project, and no one at my school seems to understand it (including my suspervisor).

I'm doing a report based project on The effectiveness of cancer treatments today. My essay is around 5000 words long, but its purely content based on my question. My supervisor seems to think I should be addressing the project as a whole within this essay, including my sources, evaluating my own work etc. But the coordinator and other people's supervisors say completely different things. It seems everyone is producing something differnet to me, and I don't want to come out with a completely irrelevant piece of work because I followed what my supervisor said and it was wrong.

Could someone who knows what's going on please tell me exactly what we should finish the project with at the end? Including what should be in the log book, the piece of work etc.

Sorry if this seems like I'm asking a lot, it's just I've heard so many different things and I just would like to know what other schools are saying. My project is due next week =S

Thank you!!!
    Your project is fine as it is, the dissertation should just answer/attempt to answer/argue the question. You should do a separate piece of work quickly evaluating your sources and also write up a bibliography. Then your evaluation and reflection is in your production log.

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you go over the 5000 words [AQA] is it actually a fixed limit?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!!
    I am going to base my EPQ project around the question :
    How Adult Stem Cell Therapies Can Save Your Life

Do you think it is a good title?
    And how do I start my project?
    Do I explain what is stem cells and give example and all that?

Any rare facts about stem cells will be truly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    what happens if you go over the 5000 words [AQA] is it actually a fixed limit?
    The very very maximum is 6000 (my teacher was told from the exam board), but it's preferable you stay as close to 5000 as possible as if you write say 5700 words, you're demonstrating that you're not concise in your writing. I wrote ~5,100 (I cut down 200 in the last few days) and that was fine. Just don't go too much over, the dissertation is supposed to be 5000 words after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God Help Me)
    Hey!!
    I am going to base my EPQ project around the question :
    How Adult Stem Cell Therapies Can Save Your Life

Do you think it is a good title?
    And how do I start my project?
    Do I explain what is stem cells and give example and all that?

Any rare facts about stem cells will be truly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!
    It's a good title and a common one too :p:
    You should start by planning exactly what you want to put in your essay and then do a bit of research. I divided my project into 4 parts, named them each and bullet pointed what I wanted to put in each. Research may take you some time, just remember to keep the links you've used information from and make sure that they're trusted websites...not wikipedia for example. You could explain what stem cells are if you want, do whatever you'd like to do.

Maybe you could research particular diseases(?) that are helped by adult stem cell therapy, the future of stem cells and even the use of umbilical cord stem cells (kinda).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    The very very maximum is 6000 (my teacher was told from the exam board), but it's preferable you stay as close to 5000 as possible as if you write say 5700 words, you're demonstrating that you're not concise in your writing. I wrote ~5,100 (I cut down 200 in the last few days) and that was fine. Just don't go too much over, the dissertation is supposed to be 5000 words after all.
    Thanks for the info, I'll cut some from the beginning if i need it by the end .

That said, it doesn't feel very dissertation-y as aren't they normally 10-15,000? (that's the description of the EPQ I've been given by other as well, I'm not trying to say you're wrong! :p: ). Doesn't seem to be much room to go into detail about muchhhh. That said, I'm hardly renowned for my essay prowess :p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    Thanks for the info, I'll cut some from the beginning if i need it by the end .

That said, it doesn't feel very dissertation-y as aren't they normally 10-15,000? (that's the description of the EPQ I've been given by other as well, I'm not trying to say you're wrong! :p: ). Doesn't seem to be much room to go into detail about muchhhh. That said, I'm hardly renowned for my essay prowess :p: .
    I know but I really like saying the word "dissertation"!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bring this thread back to life...

I'm doing EPQ at the moment and I need about another 1700 words. If we include graphs in our project, do you think we could get away with a lower word count?

It's been ages since I've worked on my EPQ, and I've just picked it up this afternoon to find I've completely forgotten which points I was going to make!

ReputationRep:
    hey i really need sum help with my extended project..my project is about child abuse and i cant find any studies, research or any theories regarding it..can any1 help me with it plz?

ReputationRep:
    I am so so so bored of mine! Mine is 'Should English be adopted as the official global language?' and I've blagged my way through the whole thing so far (just finished the discussion section). Also just discovered I've deleted/ lost the Bibliography I spent about a million years assembling when I was doing my research. Happy days!

ReputationRep:
    unsure if this is the right place. :confused:

want to do an epq on something to do with law. interested in the philosophy side, but its not a terribly strong preference.
    im having trouble coming up with a question. its got to be on something that isnt on the a level syllabus.. since i dont really know much that isnt on the syllabus, i cant really formulate a decent question. can anyone... erm... suggest a question?
    thanks
    edit. i post a thread and it gets moved into a massive thread noone looks at. wtf.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm coming up to the time where I need to decide what I want to do for my EPQ project.
    I know I want to do it on the Middle East and on conflict, with a particular interest in hydropolitics.Anyone got any ideas?
    Millie x

ReputationRep:
    If your going to do it on the Middle East and conflict look at these:
    Israeli-Palestinian conflict
    Israeli-Arab conflict
    Shia vs. Sunni
    Iran Vs Iraq
    Iran-contra
    USSR involvement in the Middle East
    If you want to be recent you could look the operations of Mossad throughout the decades.
    The collapse of the Ottoman Empire
    ITS ENDLESS!
    Im currently doing mine on the Middle East, just about to write a paragraph on revisionist zionism, then i say your post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghast)
    If your going to do it on the Middle East and conflict look at these:
    Israeli-Palestinian conflict
    Israeli-Arab conflict
    Shia vs. Sunni
    Iran Vs Iraq
    Iran-contra
    USSR involvement in the Middle East
    If you want to be recent you could look the operations of Mossad throughout the decades.
    The collapse of the Ottoman Empire
    ITS ENDLESS!
    Im currently doing mine on the Middle East, just about to write a paragraph on revisionist zionism, then i say your post!

WOW!
    That sounds amazing, good luck!
    What's the title of your EPQ or is it just the Middle East?

ReputationRep:
    Just don't do it. 5000 word report in one day, megabadun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackmillie)
    WOW!
    That sounds amazing, good luck!
    What's the title of your EPQ or is it just the Middle East?
    I don't have a final title yet..... I've only got 4 weeks to finish it all, including the presentation and I am currently ******** it... especially considering I would like to start some revision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghast)
    I don't have a final title yet..... I've only got 4 weeks to finish it all, including the presentation and I am currently ******** it... especially considering I would like to start some revision!
    Thanks
    Not a good situation... daaamn.
    Would you mind letting me know what resources you used: books, websites etc?
    Millie x

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.