Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide Watch

TomasK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TomasK)

Oh, by the way, I have a question for Paul that hasn't been answered some time ago. I'm, taking 5 A-levels, 1 of the subjects, according to "how well the subject is regarded", is the worst I could pick. IT/ICT (name it how you like it). And the question is (actually a stupid one I think). Would it be more benefital to stick with 4 A- levels or to have the crap 5th wich is an A guarantee. I mean, is it OK as a 5th subject, or is it still the same blacklisted subject and it's better of to have the 4 subjects without ICT?

PS yeah, I will try to change ICT to something more respected.
Anyone?
goldsilvy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TomasK)
Anyone?
I'm taking Accounting, which isn't that good neither, but still decided to stick to it. Hopefully won't be any harder than AS. They probably won't make you an offer including ICT any way, more likely to be of the subjects that are more respected.
rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paulwhy,

What do you think of these uni choices for me:

UCL
Warwick
Bristol (with study in continental Europe [Spain])
Bath
Birmingham

I got 4A*s, 3As, 3Bs at GCSE (one of the A*s being in maths)
I got AAAB at AS level in maths, economics, Spanish and further maths respectively
I'm planning to carry all 4 onto A2 next year. I was 6 UMSs off an A in further maths, so I'm pretty confident that my predicted grades will be either AAAA or AAAA/B.

Thank you.
natty_d
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right, I have no idea where to start. I'd quite like to go to a London uni and do Maths and Economics.

My GCSE grades are: 7A*s, 2 As and a B. My AS Grades are: ABBC (French, Maths, Spanish and Physics)

I will be dropping physics. I will be predicted AAA because Maths and Spanish were only a few UMS of As and I will be doing some resits. I will be picking up Further Maths AS as well.

Any help?
Summer of 69
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BA or BSc for a career in accounting/finance or law?
Pleaseee help because I really wana go Leeds if I don;t get into a top one and they only offer BA :/
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sliiide)
Hi Paul,

My AS results were AAAC in History, Economics, Politics and Maths. (I'll be doing a couple of retakes in January to bring up that C in Maths, I think I can get 4 As at A2). I got 6 A*s and 4 As at GCSE. Would it still be possible to go to a top uni for economics when I'm applying with a C in AS Maths? If not, where would you recommend?

Thanks!
lol nice to see a fellow ghanian... you did exactly the same as levels as me, and nearly the same grades...
Vish00
Report 9 years ago
Is it worth applying to UCL if you are predicted AAA, or are predicted an A* in another subject, eg Economics?
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Vish00)
Is it worth applying to UCL if you are predicted AAA, or are predicted an A* in another subject, eg Economics?
ask UCL.
But yes a A* prediction would be good.
Although not sure how valuable A* predictions are when teachers not seen the new A2 exams yet.
Vish00
Report 9 years ago
Also Paul, I'm deciding whether to drop Physics and French. I'm confident of getting an A in either, but am wondering if one is more respected/is more advantageous to take.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Also Paul, I'm deciding whether to drop Physics and French. I'm confident of getting an A in either, but am wondering if one is more respected/is more advantageous to take.
It would be helpful if you could give your academic situation.
e.g. GCSE grades, AS subjects and grades.
natty_d
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paulwhy, could you possibly have a look at my post above? :ninja:
Sub Zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how is Edinburgh or St Andrews as a safety option?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zohair09)
how is Edinburgh or St Andrews as a safety option?
You don't give any academic information, but:
i)St Andrews are terrible e.g. hard to get offers from (now3rd in Guardian) and are you sure you are prepared to go to a small costal wind swept distant scottish town.
i.e. you need to be sure you are prepared to go to your safety
ii)Edinburgh are worse: wildly holistic. hardest uni to work out offer behaviour of. See TAELR links for more info.
Zhang1
Report 9 years ago
hey guys. i wanna study economics at uni. i was predicted 4 A's at AS but i messed up and only got AABB. I was previously thinking of applying to oxbridge but in light of my results i doubt i would get in. In all fairness i have been lax this year in terms of work but i am more motivated than ever to smash my A2s. I have very strong GCSEs - 9 A*s, 1 A. I was just wondering where, realistically i should apply. I am tending towards LSE, UCL, durham. Would i have a good chance of getting in; considering my PS is kick a** and my reference is brilliant.
Joy Division
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zhang1)
hey guys. i wanna study economics at uni. i was predicted 4 A's at AS but i messed up and only got AABB. I was previously thinking of applying to oxbridge but in light of my results i doubt i would get in. In all fairness i have been lax this year in terms of work but i am more motivated than ever to smash my A2s. I have very strong GCSEs - 9 A*s, 1 A. I was just wondering where, realistically i should apply. I am tending towards LSE, UCL, durham. Would i have a good chance of getting in; considering my PS is kick a** and my reference is brilliant.
What subjects did you get those grades in?

What are your predicted grades for A Level?

LSE is competitive as well...in fact since LSE don't interview they can only judge you by your grades, whereas if you apply to Oxford you have the chance to prove yourself at interview and with the TSA. Cambridge is probably a no since you have to reveal your UMS and they like high As but you got 2Bs.
Joy Division
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
UCL's L100 offer is A*AA, A* in Maths not Econ. You need to be confident of getting/willing to work for 90% in C3 and C4, averaging an A in Math overall if you want to apply.
Joy Division
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Summer of 69)
BA or BSc for a career in accounting/finance or law?
Pleaseee help because I really wana go Leeds if I don;t get into a top one and they only offer BA :/
BSc (ie more mathematical) is usually the more attractive to financial services employers. Work hard and get good grades then you won't have to worry about going to Leeds.
Joy Division
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by natty_d)
Right, I have no idea where to start. I'd quite like to go to a London uni and do Maths and Economics.

My GCSE grades are: 7A*s, 2 As and a B. My AS Grades are: ABBC (French, Maths, Spanish and Physics)

I will be dropping physics. I will be predicted AAA because Maths and Spanish were only a few UMS of As and I will be doing some resits. I will be picking up Further Maths AS as well.

Any help?
Your GCSE and A Level grades are good, you just have to get Maths and Spanish up to an A and you should have a good application.

LSE- Maths and Economics, AAA
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/undergraduateP...mics/GL11.aspx

UCL - Maths with Economics, A*AA
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/math/undergradu.../economics.htm

Queen Mary - Economics, Statistics and Mathematics, 300 UCAS points (BBB/ABC), B in Maths
http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk/undergrad...ndmathematics/

Royal Holloway (not really London :o: ) - Economics and Maths, ABB
http://www.ma.rhul.ac.uk/prospective/lg11

City - Math Science with Finance and Economics, 260 UCAS points (BCC), B in Maths
http://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/...mmath-bsc.html

There isn't anything else I could find but you could look on UCAS http://www.ucas.com/students/courses...rsesearch2010/

Hopes this helps!
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zhang1)
Your PS is highly unlikely to be great (yet), Read the Econ PS guide to find out how to make it so (link in my sig).

And I will answer the rest of yoru questions once you answer Joy Division's excellant questions about your academic record.
PGtips92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Hi Paul. Is this choice too "aggressive" (or not aggressive enough)?
- Oxford
- Warwick
- Bristol
- Nottingham
- Birmingham

I think I'll have a decent enough PS, and grades in profile.

Thanks very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%