Accommodation! Watch

hw-
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
When did the accommodation I didn't check my email before doing the application form, so I didn't give the invoice number, just the CID. It went through, shall I just wait until the next payment to quote it or..?
Master Polhem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hw-)
When did the accommodation I didn't check my email before doing the application form, so I didn't give the invoice number, just the CID. It went through, shall I just wait until the next payment to quote it or..?
I did the same thing, called them up, and they said it had gone through. Presumably the exact same thing has happened to you, probably wont hurt to double check with the office though.
seanwarby
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hibbleton34)
Even if they have a problem with torrents, just use utorrent and encrypt the data, uses different ports so they can't block 'em and they wont be able to tell what youre downloading, and even if they do, just say you've got a copy of whatever it is at home so you have a legal right to download it. Simple.
If you encrypt it they can't tell what you're downloading? saaaawheet.
heekyrider
Report 10 years ago
All the encryption does is mask uTorrent-Traffic as regular HTTP-Traffic
to avoid ISPs that ban specific file transfer protocols.

They can still tell which ports you are using and to which IPs you connect.
studyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys, so when will our accommodation invoice be issued to us?? Did the accommodation service say anything about this??
Hibbleton34
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by heekyrider)
All the encryption does is mask uTorrent-Traffic as regular HTTP-Traffic
to avoid ISPs that ban specific file transfer protocols.

They can still tell which ports you are using and to which IPs you connect.
I'm sure it changes the ports as well, if not im sure there is some other way to change the ports, I've definitely done it and I think it was with utorrent.
smartz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can set any port in uTorrent. I usually use a port in the 50,000 - 60,000 range.
lawrywild
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeh, but like I said earlier in the thread, Imperial clearly won't have these ports open. They'll only open 80, 21 and maybe a few others. Most likely you'll be able to connect to peers through any port but you'll definitely not be able to seed, which is important for private trackers.. the only ones I use personally.
smartz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lawrywild)
<snip> the only ones I use personally.
Maybe it's time to start leeching.

(That's a joke, in case any of my torrent site friends see this!)
MacGuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeh, but like I said earlier in the thread, Imperial clearly won't have these ports open. They'll only open 80, 21 and maybe a few others. Most likely you'll be able to connect to peers through any port but you'll definitely not be able to seed, which is important for private trackers.. the only ones I use personally.
Doesn't seeding count towards your 5GB/24hours limit? I think you'd have to learn to leech for 4 years =/
jpye11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MacGuffin)
Doesn't seeding count towards your 5GB/24hours limit? I think you'd have to learn to leech for 4 years =/
You're staying in halls for 4 years??
Candescence
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I assume they don't block rapidshare/megaupload etc.?
Hibbleton34
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Candescence)
I assume they don't block rapidshare/megaupload etc.?
I doubt they would block those kinds of websites, also if they are internet fascists and block all the ports I can use for torrents I'm sure someone who knows more about networks than me (not hard) will be able to figure out a way around it.
MacGuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jpye11)
You're staying in halls for 4 years??
1 year! 1 year! I think the long holiday is slowly turning my brain into mush...
Modulus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hibbleton34)
I doubt they would block those kinds of websites, also if they are internet fascists and block all the ports I can use for torrents I'm sure someone who knows more about networks than me (not hard) will be able to figure out a way around it.
*cough*port forwarding*cough*...

Does Imperial filter websites in general?
TheLostProphet
Report 10 years ago
Haha, man I love you guys. Just when I was googling around for a solution I come across you lot conspiring here.

We should be fine as long as we ask the upper years what they do.
lawrywild
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Modulus)
*cough*port forwarding*cough*...

Does Imperial filter websites in general?
lol mate do you even know what port forwarding is? :p:

You're going to have some trouble forwarding ports unless you have the username and password into their firewall
Modulus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol mate do you even know what port forwarding is? :p:

You're going to have some trouble forwarding ports unless you have the username and password into their firewall
Lol I fail. I was thinking of something else then.

Edit: Actually I don't know what I was thinking about.
lawrywild
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol, most probably you got confused with tunneling a port under a firewall. This is basically a much cooler name for torrent encryption, where torrent traffic for example is wrapped by http-looking traffic which the firewall will let through. (What we were discussing earlier)
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ways to get round the firewall, guaranteed to keep you out of trouble:
1) Look on other people's computers on the LAN for music, films etc.
2) Wander round and find a geek with 1000 DVDs on his shelf (someone in my hall in 1st year filled his shelf-space with those folders that hold 100 discs and was happy to lend them out. In 2nd year, the *warden* had 3 crates of DVDs.)
3) If it's a new film, go to the cinema! It's not that expensive, really.
4) Or ask someone who doesn't live in halls to aquire what you need.
5) Forget it and go to the pub.

Potentially less successful methods:
1) Find a computing/eee/etc student and bribe them. But they might be bored of the whole thing and not be much help
2) In which case you'll have to find a nerdy student and ask them, if you can drag them away from their anime/world of warcraft.

Ways to ruin your party:
1) Posting about your successful method on a public forum ;-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads