Maths Uni Chat Watch

Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ziedj)
Well yeah I can write u_{n+1} = \sqrt{x + u_n} \ ; \ u_1 = \sqrt{x} , was just wondering if there was a "normal" way of writing it.
looks prety nrmal to me
ziedj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
looks prety nrmal to me
Well if that is the "normal" way, then fair enough
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
Anyone here prefer applied maths to pure? :p:
Depends what kind. I'm really looking forward to taking GR in 3rd year.
sonofdot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone here prefer applied maths to pure? :p:
I used to be certain that I was destined to be an applied mathematician, but then I did much better in pure in my first-year exams, so now I'm just confused... :erm:

Actually, having neglected maths for far too much of the summer, I'm not sure I like either any more :p:
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not too certain myself, shall see after some fluids and solar theory. Do love vector calculus though
around
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I utterly utterly flopped VC in our first year exams, which is a shame because I actually quit enjoyed it. I guess I'm not cut out for actually doing things like integration etc etc
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's solar theory?
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by majikthise)
What's solar theory?
http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool. Don't think there was anything like that in the Bristol course (not that I'd know, not knowing my arse from my elbow whenever there's a hint of an integral sign around!)
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by majikthise)
Cool. Don't think there was anything like that in the Bristol course (not that I'd know, not knowing my arse from my elbow whenever there's a hint of an integral sign around!)
I hear that :yes:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Applied maths is a joke. The point of mathematics is to go beyound this world. The idear that you stop and apply it to stuff like fluids or finance is to me making it ugly. Don't do it peoples.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have literally only been in two student flats ever that have been clean. Well done on breaking the stereotype XD
I lost the battle. I am currently in the university library, apparently showing off with my mad fast typing skillz ever since my job turned me into some kind of super typist although the x key is actually disgustingly sticky, and in my flat, there are day-old dirty dishes next to the sink, and the bin needs emptying but I have yet to locate my dustbin. It's not looking promising.

As for pure v applied, both have merits but personally, I find applied too dull.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
I lost the battle. I am currently in the university library, apparently showing off with my mad fast typing skillz ever since my job turned me into some kind of super typist although the x key is actually disgustingly sticky, and in my flat, there are day-old dirty dishes next to the sink, and the bin needs emptying but I have yet to locate my dustbin. It's not looking promising.

As for pure v applied, both have merits but personally, I find applied too dull.
Ah well, you can yet win the war :p: I'm sure the food hasn't congealed that much after a day!

(Original post by Simplicity)
Applied maths is a joke. The point of mathematics is to go beyound this world. The idear that you stop and apply it to stuff like fluids or finance is to me making it ugly. Don't do it peoples.
Well if it is, surely solar theory can't be too bad
Dizmo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The mental masturbation within mathematics faculties is what puts me off the subject.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Solar theory. What the hell is solar theory? what maths do you use for bloody solar theory. Game theory?
Look slightly up this page. It's similarish maths to fluid dynamics apparently, uses maxwells equations to understand how all the bits of the sun flow and what happens in general.

Point is - it's "beyond this world" :p:
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Look slightly up this page. It's similarish maths to fluid dynamics apparently, uses maxwells equations to understand how all the bits of the sun flow and what happens in general.

Point is - it's "beyond this world" :p:
Congratulations on post 5000 :bumps:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
Congratulations on post 5000 :bumps:
But you are post 500?

Point is - it's "beyond this world"
The sun is a part of this world. Actually its probably the key thing for life besides water.
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But you are post 500?
Someone deleted their post it seems. I don't mind for now I am 5000 meaning I deserve congratulating :cool:
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But you are post 500?

The sun is a part of this world. Actually its probably the key thing for life besides water.
Why is that what maths is for though according to you? Going "beyond this world"? What is wrong with using maths to explain incredibly complex phenomena that often intuitively make no sense?
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah well, you can yet win the war :p: I'm sure the food hasn't congealed that much after a day!
It has. It smells. Whose idea was kipper?
I have slow internet so no iPlayer/4OD, no TV licence, and I'm fast running out of DVDs. Unfortunately, the only other entertainment here so far is a stack of Maths textbooks. (No, no way, it's not happening.)
Spider solitaire? Mahjong? This really is scraping the bottom of the barrel though. Should sleep, but can't due to extra sugary cola.
TSR ENTERTAIN ME?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads