Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Higuain and Giroud is good. With Podolski and Walcott as emergency strikers.

Would like to see a new DM. I also want Oxlade to play BIG role this season, we need to start ironing out some of his weakness and making him more of a complete forward.

Sell Gervinho and bring in a creative winger, in the Nasri mould.

ReputationRep:
    I think people - many Arsenal fans included - seriously underestimate just how monumental a project The Emirates was: no public subsidies, contingent on a massive regeneration programme and a crippling effect on our wage bill during the period it was being built, it could have easily seen us absent from the Champions League, and any form of European football, for nearly a decade - which would have been disastrous for us, seeing as how we were so dependent on that revenue keeping our head above water. It's a testament to everyone involved at Arsenal at the time that we still managed to maintain a high level of competitiveness. Granted, I don't love The Emirates - to be honest, I don't have any real deep affinity with it (hard to if you grew up with Highbury) - but it hacks me off how some seem to regard it as an insignificant footnote in our history, as if it was some straightforward evolution. Nah. It was massive. It's up there as one of the most important moments in our history, for sure. And hopefully, in the next few years or so, it'll be a move that's vindicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Higuain and Giroud is good. With Podolski and Walcott as emergency strikers.

Would like to see a new DM. I also want Oxlade to play BIG role this season, we need to start ironing out some of his weakness and making him more of a complete forward.

Sell Gervinho and bring in a creative winger, in the Nasri mould.
    A ****?

Grenier seems to be Wenger's preferred choice on that front. Hopefully he rejects Lyon's offer of a contract extension. Could get him for under £10mill if he does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I think people - many Arsenal fans included - seriously underestimate just how monumental a project The Emirates was: no public subsidies, contingent on a massive regeneration programme and a crippling effect on our wage bill during the period it was being built, it could have easily seen us absent from the Champions League, and any form of European football, for nearly a decade - which would have been disastrous for us, seeing as how we were so dependent on that revenue keeping our head above water. It's a testament to everyone involved at Arsenal at the time that we still managed to maintain a high level of competitiveness. Granted, I don't love The Emirates - to be honest, I don't have any real deep affinity with it (hard to if you grew up with Highbury) - but it hacks me off how some seem to regard it as an insignificant footnote in our history, as if it was some straightforward evolution. Nah. It was massive. It's up there as one of the most important moments in our history, for sure. And hopefully, in the next few years or so, it'll be a move that's vindicated.
    I think you underestimated how seriously arsenal were affected by the ridiculous wage structure they put in place as well...

if your giving no one great salaries and offering crap players like santos 70k a week then your not helping yourself are you. It was a big project but the club made it hard for itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I think you underestimated how seriously arsenal were affected by the ridiculous wage structure they put in place as well...

if your giving no one great salaries and offering crap players like santos 70k a week then your not helping yourself are you. It was a big project but the club made it hard for itself
    Yes it was made hard for themselves, in context santos is unfair, a left back was needed at a days notice, santos was always in the driving seat over a deal. The likes of bendtner, vela(who wasn't played), denilson etc. on bumper deals was the real problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)

Yeah, I agree with that. We kept an archaic wage cap for 2-3 seasons too long, as well.

Still an amazing accomplishment, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yes it was made hard for themselves, in context santos is unfair, a left back was needed at a days notice, santos was always in the driving seat over a deal. The likes of bendtner, vela(who wasn't played), denilson etc. on bumper deals was the real problem.
    I think he was given 3 major contract extensions during his time with us. Absolutely criminal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Butlands talented and has quite a bit of experience for a 20 year old keeper, I rate him more than I rate schezny but i dont really care about the goal keeping position, if we dont get fourth next season then i cant see it being down to schezny being crap so i wont complain if we don't get a goalie but nevertheless in an ideal situation we would get another goalie with mannone gone.

As for Barkley, I reckon we could get him pretty cheap before he turns out brilliant and then everyone comes in for him.
    You really should watch both play more often.

ReputationRep:
    A days notice ? We knew Clichy was going in March

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    A days notice ? We knew Clichy was going in March
    Well tbf wenger probably thought armand traore could do the business as a backup(or he was high) until the united match happened. When nani showed armand traore that he's not arsenal quality then wenger decided to go on that spending spree, I swear down if you'd got a win vs newcastle and got a draw vs united you wouldn't have bought any players that window probably.

ReputationRep:
    Well tbf wenger probably thought armand traore could do the business as a backup(or he was high) until the united match happened. When nani showed armand traore that he's not arsenal quality then wenger decided to go on that spending spree, I swear down if you'd got a win vs newcastle and got a draw vs united you wouldn't have bought any players that window probably.
    getting spanked by united was a blessing in disguise. We would have finished way below 3rd without the likes of Arteta/Mertesacker even if Santos/Park also came. In fairness, Santos wasnt terrible in his first season as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you are probably right, shows you deluded he can be about his own young players. The whole thing was awfully mismanaged, to throw Ox on for his debut 3-1 down at Old Trafford, to play Jenkinson too only to get sent off the whole thing was a joke and in that situation you couldn't really blame the players it was on him.

People like to use the CL qualifiers as an excuse saying he needed the cash from that but the fact we had bid for Mata and had a bid accepted for Phil Jones says otherwise unless we were offering sexual favours for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Yeah you are probably right, shows you deluded he can be about his own young players. The whole thing was awfully mismanaged, to throw Ox on for his debut 3-1 down at Old Trafford, to play Jenkinson too only to get sent off the whole thing was a joke and in that situation you couldn't really blame the players it was on him.

People like to use the CL qualifiers as an excuse saying he needed the cash from that but the fact we had bid for Mata and had a bid accepted for Phil Jones says otherwise unless we were offering sexual favours for them
    Mata would have been an arsenal player if you stumped the cash imo, just haggling over a couple million, I guess eventually it's worked out with a guy like cazorla but mata would have done you wonders the previous season, probably have got you a little closer to city/united I think.

I guess at least you picked up. Tbh I still don't get how you got 3rd that season, I still don't get how tottenham aren't in the CL either. Football is a funny game that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    getting spanked by united was a blessing in disguise. We would have finished way below 3rd without the likes of Arteta/Mertesacker even if Santos/Park also came. In fairness, Santos wasnt terrible in his first season as well.
    Santos was fairly decent. Just his lack of fitness and swapping shirts at half time(I'd have subbed him off for doing that if I was wenger) pretty much destroyed any hopes of a decent arsenal career, at least gervinho is keeping in shape and looks arsed when he's playing, despite the fact he clearly isn't good enough atm either.

ReputationRep:
    Santos was fairly decent. Just his lack of fitness and swapping shirts at half time(I'd have subbed him off for doing that if I was wenger) pretty much destroyed any hopes of a decent arsenal career, at least gervinho is keeping in shape and looks arsed when he's playing, despite the fact he clearly isn't good enough atm either.
    Fairly decent?! Shirt swapping and fitness aside. His positioning was atrocious, poor awareness and his attacking play was average... As a left back that's a poor combination.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Fairly decent?! Shirt swapping and fitness aside. His positioning was atrocious, poor awareness and his attacking play was average... As a left back that's a poor combination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the first season I mean.

ReputationRep:
    I sure do hope the rumours that Higauin's to sign a 3 year deal isn't true. Rather strange if it is and would be very unlike Wenger to do that especially given the amount of money we're paying for him.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to ask a question: Is it time for Arsene to move on? Or are you happy with what he has achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman10)
    I would like to ask a question: Is it time for Arsene to move on? Or are you happy with what he has achieved?
    At least wait for us to lose the first 3 games of the season before coming up with this tired old trite.

ReputationRep:
    tottenham + paulinho + a topclass striker = a scary proposition..

Especially given that AVB seems a little better then harry, and has now had a season to settle into the club..

(though whilst that may seem like a good top4 team.... arsenal+higuain+good DM+ good AM - seems like a tittle contending side...)

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.