(Original post by Mackay)
    Joe Allen's a hit, surely?
    He's been a hit and miss for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    He's been a hit and miss for me.
    he'd be a miss for anybody who hasn't watched the majority of our games over the last few years (i.e: a non-liverpool fan).
    would be a better discussion point if one of us replicated the spreadsheet with ammended opinion.

ReputationRep:
    We need a DM, or at least a defensive coach. I vote Kondogbia from Monaco

ReputationRep:
    Ugh...

The only saving grace is that Man Utd and Spurs haven't pulled away from us for 4th place. I imagine Arsenal will claim 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Ugh...

The only saving grace is that Man Utd and Spurs haven't pulled away from us for 4th place. I imagine Arsenal will claim 3rd.
    i don;t see anything other than chelsea.........city....arsenal. ...............?

chelsea are literally too strong and too consistent; they can grind out matches even when they are playing terribly.
    city are inconsistent but have enough quality to manage to pick up enough points here and there.
    arsenal really aren't good at all (still better than liverpool/united) but they have sanchez and they love to score late goals.

the problem we have is united.
    they have the quality in attack waiting to explode and the money to buy defenders in january.
    we simply don't have that strength or money and i'm seriously worried about what we're gonna do this season without sturridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i don;t see anything other than chelsea.........city....arsenal. ...............?

chelsea are literally too strong and too consistent; they can grind out matches even when they are playing terribly.
    city are inconsistent but have enough quality to manage to pick up enough points here and there.
    arsenal really aren't good at all (still better than liverpool/united) but they have sanchez and they love to score late goals.

the problem we have is united.
    they have the quality in attack waiting to explode and the money to buy defenders in january.
    we simply don't have that strength or money and i'm seriously worried about what we're gonna do this season without sturridge.
    So the Suarez funds have been used on your previous signings? I read somewhere that the money from his sale was going to be used in jan.. Or was that just a rumour?

Tbh, with Walcotts return, I can see us improving and winning our games more convincingly (I hope so anyway). I genuinely feel more confident now, even with the injuries

LVG and Rodgers both need a good season. Whoever doesn't get 4th place will probably need to walk at the end of the season. They've both spent a load of the owners' money, and they need to justify it by at least finishing in the top 4. I think more pressure is on Rodgers tbh, he's spend over £100m, and he's made statements like we should be challenging for the title.. & it's all turning out really ugly for him.

Also, how long is sturridge out for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO;51348559[B)
    ]So the Suarez funds have been used on your previous signings[/B]? I read somewhere that the money from his sale was going to be used in jan.. Or was that just a rumour?

Tbh, with Walcotts return, I can see us improving and winning our games more convincingly (I hope so anyway). I genuinely feel more confident now, even with the injuries

LVG and Rodgers both need a good season. Whoever doesn't get 4th place will probably need to walk at the end of the season. They've both spent a load of the owners' money, and they need to justify it by at least finishing in the top 4. I think more pressure is on Rodgers tbh, he's spend over £100m, and he's made statements like we should be challenging for the title.. & it's all turning out really ugly for him.

Also, how long is sturridge out for?
    The previous signings would have been made regardless of whether Suarez was sold or not as the squad was paper thin. Think there may still be money left over to spend in Jan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    The previous signings would have been made regardless of whether Suarez was sold or not as the squad was paper thin. Think there may still be money left over to spend in Jan.
    Fair enough. I thought Rodgers played it like AVB - getting suitable replacements before hand.

Rodgers really really needs to learn who his best squad is, you guys have a relatively easier fixture list than you did in the previous 10 games (after the weekend), so it's the perfect time for him to get his team playing better.

If he doesn't then it'll get real ugly for Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldie56)
    We need a DM, or at least a defensive coach. I vote Kondogbia from Monaco
    I say bring back Carra as our defensive coach or maybe even Hyppia because he seems to be struggling at Brighton.

Also I'd much rather see someone in the Matic mould e.g. Rabiot, Casemiro etc.

ReputationRep:
    Says they'll rather see somebody in the Matic mould and puts in Rabiot, who plays as a box to box midfielder, is young and is a work in progress. What does he offer that Emre Can doesn't? The problem is that majority of your team is just completely average, the defence is ok personnel wise but it gets no protection with Gerrard in the team, the CMs just aren't imposing themselves on the game, Sterling is burnt out and Johnson still gets games to lose possession high up the pitch and concede a counter attack from his side when he tries a worldie.

Also there's this analogy I used last season when Liverpool were in the title race, when a person works overtime and a person has inset days regularly one will do better. If you don't do any overtime and have inset days due to previous poor performance and you're still struggling at your job, then you should not be in that job. At least Liverpool were able to handle having inset days and perform better in their job unlike other teams.

ReputationRep:
    atleast for you guys, after tommorow your CL group will be very clear and obvious..

If they draw.. then brilliant for you, you only need 4pts out of the final two games to qualify..

If one team wins.. then atleast you know that you will know that that is the team you have to beat, and as long as you do then a draw against the other team will send you through to the next round..

nice and clear.. not nessasarily easy.. but clear

ReputationRep:
    This team has been ****e and ragged, but the signings aren't the issue. One signing is the issue.

Only Newcastle, and potentially West Ham are games in which Balo hasn't been the biggest culprit.

Gerrard-Skrtel-Lovren is an abysmal failure, Joe Allen has been useless, Henderson has dipped and Sterling is tired, but if we'd had a competent striker against Villa, Everton, and Hull, we'd have got 9 points not 2.

ReputationRep:
    ... how?

At the best of times he's been a useful squad player. At the worst, he's been utterly mediocre, incompetent. He's never imposed himself on the Liverpool team. Proved incapable of playing as a DM, offers absolutely nothing going forwards.

Allen needs to show that he fits into this team from an attacking point of view (by adding goals and assists - doesn't look like it, because he's never had the balls or technical ability to play a forward pass) or from a defensive point of view (and he never will because of his lack of physicality).

He's a mid-table player, one who can look good whilst everyone is firing on all guns, like Spurs away or second half against Arsenal in the cup.

The jury is still out, and it definitely does not look good for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    atleast for you guys, after tommorow your CL group will be very clear and obvious..

If they draw.. then brilliant for you, you only need 4pts out of the final two games to qualify..

If one team wins.. then atleast you know that you will know that that is the team you have to beat, and as long as you do then a draw against the other team will send you through to the next round..

nice and clear.. not nessasarily easy.. but clear
    Yeah definitely.
    Since we lost to Basel, I'm hoping they lose to Ludogorets tomorrow for H2H reasons.
    Then all we need is to beat Basel at Anfield and avoid defeat at Ludogorets (provided Madrid win all their games).

There's no reason we shouldn't be getting a win at home and a draw away (to an unknown team) in our final two games.
    If we can't even do that, we don't deserve a place in the competition...

ReputationRep:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ario-balotelli

Pretty mediocre article, throws in Sanchez (as usual), Berahino (flavour of the month), Chicharito (fantasy).

Shows Eto'o and Lacazette though. Lacazette is a Sturridge lite and Eto'o would have made FINE cover, he had an excellent goals/assists record per 90 last year.

****ing stupid to get Balo

ReputationRep:
    I can't see what Rodgers is going to do. I think he has to:
    ‣ Stick with the back 4 (Monero, Lovern, Skrtel, Manquillo) and get a good defensive coach(I would say Hypia as he's not going to stay at Brighton long)
    ‣ Be the manager to possibly drop Gerrard.
    ‣ Play Allen as a CDM,
    ‣ Play Henderson as CM(C)
    ‣ Lallana on the left and Sterling on the right (while alternating games play Can and Markovic).
    ‣ Sturridge as ST alongside Borini (alternating every couple of games with Balotelli)
    ‣ In a 4-1-1-2-2

Sturridge - Borini
    Lallana/Can Sterling/Markovic
    Henderson
    Allen
    Monero Lovern Skrtel Manquillo
    Mignolet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do it faster)
    ... how?

At the best of times he's been a useful squad player. At the worst, he's been utterly mediocre, incompetent. He's never imposed himself on the Liverpool team. Proved incapable of playing as a DM, offers absolutely nothing going forwards.

Allen needs to show that he fits into this team from an attacking point of view (by adding goals and assists - doesn't look like it, because he's never had the balls or technical ability to play a forward pass) or from a defensive point of view (and he never will because of his lack of physicality).

He's a mid-table player, one who can look good whilst everyone is firing on all guns, like Spurs away or second half against Arsenal in the cup.

The jury is still out, and it definitely does not look good for him.
    I agree.
    Allen is there but he doesn't really do anything.
    He isn't strong or capable defensively, he isn't amazing going forward and he isn't exactly a speedster.

There's nothing significant that he really excels at that's useful to us.
    So it makes it all the more frustrating when Brendan plays him at the expense of other players that could make more of an impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    I can't see what Rodgers is going to do. I think he has to:
    ‣ Stick with the back 4 (Monero, Lovern, Skrtel, Manquillo) and get a good defensive coach(I would say Hypia as he's not going to stay at Brighton long)
    ‣ Be the manager to possibly drop Gerrard.
    ‣ Play Allen as a CDM,
    ‣ Play Henderson as CM(C)
    ‣ Lallana on the left and Sterling on the right (while alternating games play Can and Markovic).
    ‣ Sturridge as ST alongside Borini (alternating every couple of games with Balotelli)
    ‣ In a 4-1-1-2-2

Sturridge - Borini
    Lallana/Can Sterling/Markovic
    Henderson
    Allen
    Monero Lovern Skrtel Manquillo
    Mignolet
    Emre Can left midfield? The one that Bayern fans wanted to be a CB for them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can is NOT an attacking player.

ReputationRep:
    Can is NOT an attacking player.
    He's a good attacking player. At Leverkusen he was regularly involved in attacks, has excellent dribbling and good scoring contribution stats

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.