Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely going be a sad day when Wenger steps down, there's no denying that. But to think that finances is the limiting factor to where we finish is just plain delusion.
    Other managers like Klopp and Simeone have produced better squads whilst arguably being in similar situations. You could argue now that Dortmund have lost most of their best players they're struggling, but what did they achieve whilst they were there? Certainly more than we did in 11'. Was it finances that lost us the title last year or the mere fact that our tactics were both suicidal, and we'd gone into the season with only one striker?
    Were finances the limiting factor when Wenger decided not to buy a senior CB or RB whilst heading into the season? Remember we let go of Aurier?
    Arguably this cost us so many points it's not even funny because of how crap we were defensively. Not to forget his stubbornness with our formation/tactics in the first half of the season which led to us playing awful attacking football, how many points does that cost? Don't blame finances on losing the title within the first few weeks.

Who gets credit for our stability in midfield, Wenger or Coquelin? Did Wenger really know that Coquelin would be a massive stop gap for us and be in the form of his life, or was it pure desperation that he was recalled from Charlton because we didn't replace one of Arteta OR Flamini in the summer window?

Who's to blame for signing Welbeck when we could have had one of Bony, Remy or Mandzukic? Even if you say they aren't upgrades on Giroud, they're certain upgrades on Welbeck and the difference in price is insignificant.

Credit where it's due, we've shown more courage and coming away with big victories in Manchester is the highlight of the season. Should we really be celebrating the fact that we beat this shower of ****e (UTD), shouldn't it be the norm?

The fact is we didn't need to spend another 150m to be considered title challengers. Our summer window was awful and everyone felt the same way on deadline day. Now I haven't called this a bad season, because 2nd and the FA cup would be a great season, and real sign of progress, but we still have 9 games to go in the league and don't forget Liverpool could give us the game of our lives in the final (if we even reach that). In fact I'm wary of Liverpool at home next weekend just because of their form. I can guarantee that some of you who have defended Wenger will swap over to "Wenger out" and this happens after every loss. Don't get me wrong either, I share the same passion about Wenger as many of you do, I grew up only knowing him as the face of Arsenal and I couldn't imagine the club without him. But everything comes to an end and Wenger's time is doing so.
    He's a wonderful manager, one of a kind, and I don't want any old prick to replace him. But I do know there are others out there who can take us even further and that is the point you guys have to accept.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I know some people will disagree with my points and that's fine, but try doing so without the usual ADhoms just because I share a different opinion

(Original post by Arkasia)
    As a young 'un, Wenger has always been virtually synonymous with Arsenal to me. He has always been at the helm, and I was lucky to see the glory years during his reign and escape without delusions that the success of those times is easily replicable. Once Wenger retires, I doubt he'll move to another team, he will probably just move up to the board, but even if he did manage another club, of course I will start watching them AS WELL. I won't say '**** it, no wenger no bueno', Arsenal is and always will be my club, but luckily I am in a position where I can watch multiple games from multiple teams in multiple leagues.

Give him one loost hoorah with France in the World cup 2018

ReputationRep:
    would love to see wenger leave us, manage france, win something major.. and then retire.

To be honest, france have a pretty young and really strong squad.. they could be a real threat at major tournements again soon

ReputationRep:
    I don't see Wenger managing France tbh. Wenger has previously said he finds the inactivity of international management boring he prefers the day to day activity of club management. I can definitely see him going to PSG after Arsenal tbh. He's good friends with the owners and he apparently thinks the Ile de France region produces alot of youth talent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I don't see Wenger managing France tbh. Wenger has previously said he finds the inactivity of international management boring he prefers the day to day activity of club management. I can definitely see him going to PSG after Arsenal tbh. He's good friends with the owners and he apparently thinks the Ile de France region produces alot of youth talent

And then PSG become the hipster team of that year

ReputationRep:
    We all assume Wenger will leave after his current contract but there is definitely a chance he'll still be here by 2020 tbh. If he delivers in the next 2 seasons then why not?

If Wenger goes PSG and we inevitably draw them in the CL, then I'll have to support PSG tbh. Actually hope we'd get spanked 4-0 in a ruthless display of Wengerball just to see the look on the fans who've done nothing but criticise him over the years. Ty on Arsenal fan TV alone would be legendary as well :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere needs to return for Liverpool so that he can body Henderson to the floor :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    We all assume Wenger will leave after his current contract but there is definitely a chance he'll still be here by 2020 tbh. If he delivers in the next 2 seasons then why not?

If Wenger goes PSG and we inevitably draw them in the CL, then I'll have to support PSG tbh. Actually hope we'd get spanked 4-0 in a ruthless display of Wengerball just to see the look on the fans who've done nothing but criticise him over the years. Ty on Arsenal fan TV alone would be legendary as well :coma:

That will be champagne in the bottle on the day that happens. Don't get me wrong, I will support Arsenal on principle. But my heart will be with Wenger, I would fight for that man right till the bitter end I know the players feel the same way. He is like a Father to many of them. If he leaves, many of them will strongly consider doing the same.

Look, for me personally, a PL win without Wenger (i.e. before he leaves) would just not feel the same. I think mentally, the players would not feel the same if they win it with someone else. Mentally the whole club would struggle. Watch the FA Cup celebration videos and you will know, father and his sons. I would celebrate yes, but it would feel empty, like I'm supporting another club to the one I know almost. But yeah, that makes me 'unambitious' and I do not care. I do not care about just winning, a lot of football to me is the emotions and the people you are there with. If I wanted an easy time supporting someone I would just glory support and put a Barca shirt on. But in substance if he is forced to leave, imo i would just view our club as just another European team ... a Pep, Klopp clone or whoever comes in. It would be soulless.

I take what the club's philosophy is to heart that is all, that we are Arsenal and we win the right way, the beautiful way and always with class. Pushing Wenger out the door would be anything but that, and I would not view the club in the same way, I do not view the fans in the same way for wanting him out that way.

Look at those guys, it is real love. I don't even blame guys like Cesc for being where they are. They knew the real deal of a footballer's life and the fans.

“On Friday I said goodbye to him and I got very emotional because he’s like a father figure to me.

“I couldn’t even talk at one stage when I wanted to say how grateful I was. I got a bit emotional and couldn’t talk much.

“I had to send him a message afterwards, saying ’I’ll never forget what you’ve done for me’.

“If it hadn’t been for him I wouldn’t be here today, living my dream.”

Time to go Arsene, one last hurrah in the FA Cup this season and go and be selfish for once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    In all seriousness Wenger needs to go ASAP. Seems to me that he has no authority in the dressing room, meek characters with no heart playing for the team. Can you imagine a SAF Manchester United team or Mourinho's Chelsea returning to the dressing room after what your lot did at 2-1 against Monaco. They wouldn't be aloud in. You read a lot of quotes from those manager's players who see them as father figures, they would lay down their life for these men. Wenger isn't the same. His refusal to lambast them in public is an issue too, don't think shielding these meek men makes a difference. Slate them, rile them up and get some fire in their stomachs. These players don't play with any fear of their manager, Arsene just doesn't command it. I don't think players care if they lose, you look at a man like Mertesacker cowering from the ball at corners and it's laughable. It's Wenger's fault, make no bones about that. The sooner he goes the sooner you can progress. In the words of Rafa Benitez: "I am talking about FACTS"
    Gr8 b8 m8, thankfully the decision makers at Arsenal have a bit more class than the ones at United

ReputationRep:
    Would agree that the Emirates has a **** atmosphere for a 60000 seat stadium, that's what happens when you have a fan base of middle class fans (not a bad thing necessarily), up and coming upper middle class businessmen with the rugrats in tow whose only experience of chanting was when they were being hazed in the showers of their fee paying all boys boarding schools and club level (having been in it twice while you get free drinks and a nice experience before and after the match you feel like a massive **** the moment you start chanting or shouting encouragement at the players).

Its just completely **** it doesn't surprise me the team doesn't always perform, our home advantage is soooo much more to do with the perfect pitch than the fans.

I prefer going to watch my local league 2 side play, costs about a fifth of the price all things included and the atmosphere is great

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense. Wenger has complete control and respect of every dressing room, bar none, that he's had at Arsenal. Not a single ex-player has a bad word to say about that.

And what if the next manager comes in, rants and raves and is able to pull out the kind of performances you're on about but we find he isn't 1/10th the coach Wenger is and we go on extended periods of awful performances and drop out of the top4? What's happening at Man Utd for instance, months and months of awful performances which are not put right through coaching would simply never happen under Wenger.

You speak as if the things Wenger does on the training ground and in the transfer market are easy, he is an exceptional manager in so many ways that what you gain in the half time dressing room you will surely lose elsewhere, and then some.

If you think about the mess Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc are making of a top4 place for years now despite spending £100m every summer, and then consider Wenger did it without failure whilst actually selling his best players, then you begin to realise what an exceptional coach he is.
    Hook line and sinker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Hook line and sinker

Being perfectly honest, the types of fans you see nodding off at the Emirates are the type that would be amongst the first to join in when the fans start yelling obscenities at Wenger and the players. Yet they are perfectly quiet at other times. It is insulting that these people can get tickets and a lot of fans who would not behave like that are priced out. Sign of the times really.

Then you get the morons on Twitter who regurgitate every negative opinion the pundits have about Arsenal.

Have to say, I am feeling more and more alienated by football as time progresses. Too many foreign players, too much foreign culture on the pitch, social media, **** pundits, sacking culture. I think I will go and watch cricket primarily when all is said and done, and believe me this is a well considered decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    No no, I don't agree with that. So because some fans choose not to obliterate Wenger at every opportunity we care about him more than the actual club? This guy is the manager of Arsenal FC thus meaning he is a part of the same club we all love. When he moves on, we support the next manager that comes in, why? Because he's a part of OUR club. If the next manager also does **** all I'm sure he'll be shown the door, I don't get why we have to abuse the man at every defeat to come across as 'real fans' to half of you lot.

Seriously now, none of us are saying Wenger is the answer but whilst we've got him what can we do about it. Let me know if any of you are head of HR at the club, be sure to print his p45 on quality paper, it's the least he deserves.
    I'm not saying every fan should obliterate him but I'm talking about he fans who think he can do no wrong and nothing is his fault. They see wenger as some sort of deity who cannot be criticised or wrong. These are the fans I'm talking about and they can say they'll still support arsenal after but they'll know their true feelings and where their loyalty lies when he leaves.

The ones who blame wenger for everything are no better and the fans who were with him and now want him gone tend to be the fans who are more passionate about te club ie the away fans who will make every game and support the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

This is a clear example of a Wenger fan rather than an Arsenal fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Would agree that the Emirates has a **** atmosphere for a 60000 seat stadium, that's what happens when you have a fan base of middle class fans (not a bad thing necessarily), up and coming upper middle class businessmen with the rugrats in tow whose only experience of chanting was when they were being hazed in the showers of their fee paying all boys boarding schools and club level (having been in it twice while you get free drinks and a nice experience before and after the match you feel like a massive **** the moment you start chanting or shouting encouragement at the players).

Its just completely **** it doesn't surprise me the team doesn't always perform, our home advantage is soooo much more to do with the perfect pitch than the fans.

I prefer going to watch my local league 2 side play, costs about a fifth of the price all things included and the atmosphere is great
    Loool trust me but I remember one guy who went to Istanbul and wanted to watch a football match so he went to a Galatasaray game. He said he was so scared and chanted throughout the game because the crowd would force everyone to chant and whoever didnt chant would get singled out lol. Add to the fact he didnt speak Turkish or know any of the chants it sounds hilarious lol.

I've always wanted to go to an away match and take a speakerphone. Are they allowed in this country ? I gotta say Turkish fans are massive pricks usually but they are some of the most vocal fans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    I'm not saying every fan should obliterate him but I'm talking about he fans who think he can do no wrong and nothing is his fault. They see wenger as some sort of deity who cannot be criticised or wrong. These are the fans I'm talking about and they can say they'll still support arsenal after but they'll know their true feelings and where their loyalty lies when he leaves.

The ones who blame wenger for everything are no better and the fans who were with him and now want him gone tend to be the fans who are more passionate about te club ie the away fans who will make every game and support the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well this is quite simply untrue. Who said he was infallible? Of course he is. But it is more complicated than that. Well, we should not have to choose between Wenger and the club. Guys like Zurich attend most games (most games they can afford to go to) for their whole lives and their loyalty should not be questioned.

But yes, if he ends up leaving because of the "Wenger out" fans , I would choose Wenger over the club for the club agreeing to that. For me, that would represent the club not really being the club anymore. No class. I would still support them over every other team in the league, I would still support the players too in the games.

But the Wenger out fans? The board? They may as well be Chelsea to me if they cause that event to happen.

I would view that a large part of the club is dead to me and unless Wenger himself chooses the next manager, I would not take seriously what the board chooses either. We would fast slide into become another soulless (new) United,City,Chelsea. But, it seems we're heading that way anyway.

Politically, I would disagree with what the new (Wenger out) Arsenal stands for.

ReputationRep:
    It's very difficult when a manager is so long-term and so ingrained at a club, because logic tends to go out of the window in favour of emotion. If you've only ever known Arsenal as Arsene, then it can be difficult to be rational about the whole situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    It's very difficult when a manager is so long-term and so ingrained at a club, because logic tends to go out of the window in favour of emotion. If you've only ever known Arsenal as Arsene, then it can be difficult to be rational about the whole situation.
    Yeah, its like my younger sisters. They've only ever known and seen Arsene to manage Arsenal so they literally can't imagine the club without.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger Out! That man has a poor CL and PL record. Qualifying for the CL is no major achievement for a club like Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)

That will be champagne in the bottle on the day that happens. Don't get me wrong, I will support Arsenal on principle. But my heart will be with Wenger, I would fight for that man right till the bitter end I know the players feel the same way. He is like a Father to many of them. If he leaves, many of them will strongly consider doing the same.
    See my posts in previous pages but this is clearly false. When Mertesacker ducked against Skrtel in the air, when he bombed forward against Monaco, when Ox gave the ball away on the halfway line, was that "dying for the man"? Can you ever imagine a Sir Alex or Jose team leaving their manager high and dry like that? They give every ounce in their body, every last bit of it and Arsenal players don't; they mope around and walk and sulk. That's not playing for the manager. He's had his time but he can't motivate the boys anymore; it is imperative he goes in summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Being perfectly honest, the types of fans you see nodding off at the Emirates are the type that would be amongst the first to join in when the fans start yelling obscenities at Wenger and the players. Yet they are perfectly quiet at other times. It is insulting that these people can get tickets and a lot of fans who would not behave like that are priced out. Sign of the times really.

Then you get the morons on Twitter who regurgitate every negative opinion the pundits have about Arsenal.

Have to say, I am feeling more and more alienated by football as time progresses. Too many foreign players, too much foreign culture on the pitch, social media, **** pundits, sacking culture. I think I will go and watch cricket primarily when all is said and done, and believe me this is a well considered decision.
    All right Nigel calm down. I'd say I prefer the flair imported from South America even if it comes with the diving rather than the boring skill less punting antics of Stoke City and your average 'english' teams. Got to take the good with the bad. Pundits can go either way, sometimes good sometimes feeling the need to say something outrageous to justify their place on TV.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.