• View Poll Results: Favourite Doctor?
    Christopher Eccleston
    8.20%
    David Tennant
    59.71%
    Matt Smith
    32.09%

ReputationRep:
    It probably is the smaller number of name actors leading to more spending elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Stephen Moffat also said that budget cuts force you to be more creative, maybe you are on you way to being the next doctor who writer?!?

I do also think that not having David Tennant, John Barrowman, Billie Piper, John Simm and other established actors around may help to reduce their costs a bit, as much as I'll miss all of them (I'm just assuming the latter 3 won't be back from the clear vibe of this being a clean break).
    Especially with the farewell at the end of the christmas special then yeah they probably won't be back for a long time (Thinking perhaps similarities with sarah Jane Smith)

ReputationRep:
    Those farewells were cringe worthy anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)
    Those farewells were cringe worthy anyway
    I quite liked them, especially the one with billie and here not knowing the doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I quite liked them, especially the one with billie and here not knowing the doctor
    The one at the end of Series 4 was terrible.
    The one at the end of the end of time was less so. Though saving SJS son from getting hit by a car was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    The one at the end of Series 4 was terrible.
    The one at the end of the end of time was less so. Though saving SJS son from getting hit by a car was horrible.
    Yeah the Series 4 one really was, especially when everyone starts flying the TARDIS (the only good thing was when the Doctor gives everyone a role but then tells Rose's mum not to touch anything).

That episode was pretty poorly written as a whole tbh. Everyone was forced into it in ridiculous ways, spent 2 episodes trying to achieve their plan, and then they may as well have not bothered. Martha with her crazy nuke key just gets beamed away, as do Captain Jack and SJS with their necklace thing. And Rose, who travelled across universes to get there, didn't save the day either. Instead they had a massive cop-out with Donna pushing some levers and saying some long words.

Made me sad because I love Captain Jack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Yeah the Series 4 one really was, especially when everyone starts flying the TARDIS (the only good thing was when the Doctor gives everyone a role but then tells Rose's mum not to touch anything).

That episode was pretty poorly written as a whole tbh. Everyone was forced into it in ridiculous ways, spent 2 episodes trying to achieve their plan, and then they may as well have not bothered. Martha with her crazy nuke key just gets beamed away, as do Captain Jack and SJS with their necklace thing. And Rose, who travelled across universes to get there, didn't save the day either. Instead they had a massive cop-out with Donna pushing some levers and saying some long words.

Made me sad because I love Captain Jack.
    The "six people needed to fly the TARDIS" was a massive retcon and it annoyed me. "Towing the Earth", Christ.

How I HATE Series 4.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst a fair amount of the episodes in season 4 were pretty diabolical, I must say I actually warmed to Catherine Tate as the assistant. Much more than Martha, who was terrible on every single level. Her wooden acting and dead behind the eyes persona will haunt me to the end of my days.

ReputationRep:
    The "six people needed to fly the TARDIS" was a massive retcon and it annoyed me. "Towing the Earth", Christ.

How I HATE Series 4.
    Towing the earth :facepalm2: that type of crap wouldn't be seen on Futurama and on top of that. A planet being dragged through space would be getting closer to stars/getting further away from stars. Wouldn't the extremes kill off basically all life on the planet?

I just hope the Daleks never come back, or if they do it is a complete remodel that stops them looking so laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Towing the earth :facepalm2: that type of crap wouldn't be seen on Futurama and on top of that. A planet being dragged through space would be getting closer to stars/getting further away from stars. Wouldn't the extremes kill off basically all life on the planet?

I just hope the Daleks never come back, or if they do it is a complete remodel that stops them looking so laughable.
    I agree with you about Tate and Martha, the lovesick teenager.

And yeah, that episode reduced the Daleks to a mockery. Maybe ol' Winston will whip 'em into shape.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you about Tate and Martha, the lovesick teenager.

And yeah, that episode reduced the Daleks to a mockery. Maybe ol' Winston will whip 'em into shape.
    Haha I had forgotten they were moving back :rolleyes: something really needs to change there. I just wonder how they will explain another Dalek escaping another thing that kills all the Daleks :rolleyes: First the Time War and then that season 4 thing, it is getting a bit tiresome now.

Also, I wonder why the Doctor is even scared of them and how the hell they managed to fight the Time Lords. They are an absolute shambles of an enemy.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I had forgotten they were moving back :rolleyes: something really needs to change there. I just wonder how they will explain another Dalek escaping another thing that kills all the Daleks :rolleyes: First the Time War and then that season 4 thing, it is getting a bit tiresome now.

Also, I wonder why the Doctor is even scared of them and how the hell they managed to fight the Time Lords. They are an absolute shambles of an enemy.
    I remember a Tom Baker episode where they climbed up a ladder to escape the Daleks :indiff:

What a joke of an arch-enemy.

ReputationRep:

Isn't it obvious? When you have a drama based on time travel, you can never ever destroy anything because you can just travel back to a point before they were destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate the Daleks since the messed up one in Season 4 and his massive overacting.

In fact they've become less scary each time. The one where they killed Jack and mega-Rose had to stop them was a great episode, if I recall. The next time I think they had to be sucked into some void, fair enough. Then in Season 4 they inexplicably wired up their console to be able to control their movement or just blow them up, and only by a couple of levers and buttons - not even any token rewiring or adding a component or anything.

On a different note, the one thing I didn't like in this episode was how the doctor got rid of the scary eye in the exact same way as he got rid of the shadows in the library - 'look me up'. He has a good record yes, but in that situation they could still both just reach out and kill him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Isn't it obvious? When you have a drama based on time travel, you can never ever destroy anything because you can just travel back to a point before they were destroyed.
    Yes :sigh: but the thing in season 4 was meant to have eradicated them from time and space, and I would assume the Time War does something similar otherwie the Doctor wouldn't be the last of his kind and he wouldn't of assumed there were no more Daleks.

That I would of thought, was obvious :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I remember a Tom Baker episode where they climbed up a ladder to escape the Daleks :indiff:

What a joke of an arch-enemy.
    Wasn't there an episode were they basically lifted one up and it turned off or something as it had to be attatched to the floor for its armour to work?

ReputationRep:
    Yes :sigh: but the thing in season 4 was meant to have eradicated them from time and space, and I would assume the Time War does something similar otherwie the Doctor wouldn't be the last of his kind and he wouldn't of assumed there were no more Daleks.

That I would of thought, was obvious :sigh:
    I suppose so - but they can't get rid of the Daleks, not really. Mainly because they are the greatest.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a rewatch of the episode, and at the beginning I notced that the London Eye was in London. This must mean that the earliest possible time the Doctor could be is the year 1999, but as seems more probable because of the farewell the Rose, it is 2005. This means that when the Doctor returns to Amy it is between 2011 and 2017, meaning that 'present day' in this season is between one year and seven into 'our' future. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have a man crush on Matt Smith. He was amazing. I think this will be the best series yet. I <3 Karen Gillan!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I've just started a rewatch of the episode, and at the beginning I notced that the London Eye was in London. This must mean that the earliest possible time the Doctor could be is the year 1999, but as seems more probable because of the farewell the Rose, it is 2005. This means that when the Doctor returns to Amy it is between 2011 and 2017, meaning that 'present day' in this season is between one year and seven into 'our' future. Weird.
    Good spot :holmes:. I'm wondering whether that was just laziness/not realising, or whether it was included on purpose. However ever since a couple of series ago (might've been series 1 actually, when there was an episode in which we "skipped" a year), the "present" year in the series has always been one year ahead of us :yep:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.