Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm really worried at the moment. I had an operation for something last Monday. It hasn't worked. It was the last option for me, and now I am worried I'm not going to be able to teach. It leaves me wondering what the point of the whole thing is, if I'm not going to be able to get a job anyway.

I didn't reapply for DSA for the PGCE, but my uni know about it. I just didn't want to go through the process again. But we have pretty much finished the uni days too now, so that's good.

A two hour commute on a uni day would drain me. I have a 45 min journey and I hate that!
    Hope you're ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried at the moment. I had an operation for something last Monday. It hasn't worked. It was the last option for me, and now I am worried I'm not going to be able to teach. It leaves me wondering what the point of the whole thing is, if I'm not going to be able to get a job anyway.
    Oh no. I'm so sorry. Is there a chance that it's still early days and it'll get better? Even if it doesn't, you're so so close to finishing. You can definitely do it and you'll get a job somewhere.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Hope you're ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by peony flowers)
    Oh no. I'm so sorry. Is there a chance that it's still early days and it'll get better? Even if it doesn't, you're so so close to finishing. You can definitely do it and you'll get a job somewhere.

:hugs:

Well I may as well just say what it is, because it is hard to explain without saying! But I have an overactive bladder and I've had it since I was a child. It has been getting worse every year, and there were a couple of times on my first placement that I found it very uncomfortable because I needed the toilet in the middle of lesson. By the end I literally couldn't walk as I had my legs crossed! Not ideal. Since it seems to be getting worse every year, I am thinking that there will be a time that I can't last an hour lesson without needing it. As you'll know, I can't leave a lesson to go to the toilet, so it pretty much ruins the whole career for me

I definitely want to finish the course, but I fear that may be as far as I can go like this :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Comforting myself by putting together a lovely teachers planner. Anyone else find crafting and organisation makes you feel better?

Well I may as well just say what it is, because it is hard to explain without saying! But I have an overactive bladder and I've had it since I was a child. It has been getting worse every year, and there were a couple of times on my first placement that I found it very uncomfortable because I needed the toilet in the middle of lesson. By the end I literally couldn't walk as I had my legs crossed! Not ideal. Since it seems to be getting worse every year, I am thinking that there will be a time that I can't last an hour lesson without needing it. As you'll know, I can't leave a lesson to go to the toilet, so it pretty much ruins the whole career for me

I definitely want to finish the course, but I fear that may be as far as I can go like this :/
    Is there anyone you can contact about it for advice? There must be methods of at least minimising the impact so don't give up *huge hugs*

ReputationRep:

Have you done a quick google search for something like 'teaching with an overactive bladder.' I'm sure you're not as unique a case as you might think! Also have a look for teaching with IBS - I have neither of those things so I can't put myself in your shoes but, I imagine IBS sometimes has a similar effect on people and there must be teachers who have to deal with it!

As you're training, it might be worth mentioning to your mentor/school/class teacher and so if you need to leave the lesson, you can give some kind of hand signal and be excused from the classroom...

I'm sorry to hear your op hasn't worked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Comforting myself by putting together a lovely teachers planner. Anyone else find crafting and organisation makes you feel better?

Is there anyone you can contact about it for advice? There must be methods of at least minimising the impact so don't give up *huge hugs*
    I dunno who to talk to for advice. I might talk to my uni tutor about it, that's what they are there for after all. We shall see!

(Original post by Samus2)
    Have you done a quick google search for something like 'teaching with an overactive bladder.' I'm sure you're not as unique a case as you might think! Also have a look for teaching with IBS - I have neither of those things so I can't put myself in your shoes but, I imagine IBS sometimes has a similar effect on people and there must be teachers who have to deal with it!

As you're training, it might be worth mentioning to your mentor/school/class teacher and so if you need to leave the lesson, you can give some kind of hand signal and be excused from the classroom...

I'm sorry to hear your op hasn't worked
    I haven't actually googled about teaching with it at all. Good idea with the IBS thing too. I will look into it. I'm trying to avoid telling my school about it. I've been off because of this op but they don't know what for. I don't know them to think I'm a special case. I don't want them to do anything that wouldn't be allowed once I got a job... :/ I guess I'm just stubborn.

I will have a google now. Who knows. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm afraid that's because she is a real teacher! You will have to do it by the book, but one day, you will be able to dump all the Ofsted crap and do it for real!
    As an experienced teacher, I hope you don't mind me asking this.. (if anyone else has any input please feel free)

With interview lessons, should I follow the same 3 part structure that I'm currently using in my PGCE?

I did it for my first interview lesson but because it was only half an hour, I felt like I didn't have enough time for my main task :/

I've got another interview next week with a half hour lesson again (on something where I have a major subject knowledge gap!) and I'm unsure whether or not to go for a starter/main/plenary...

ReputationRep:
    As an experienced teacher, I hope you don't mind me asking this.. (if anyone else has any input please feel free)

With interview lessons, should I follow the same 3 part structure that I'm currently using in my PGCE?

I did it for my first interview lesson but because it was only half an hour, I felt like I didn't have enough time for my main task :/

I've got another interview next week with a half hour lesson again (on something where I have a major subject knowledge gap!) and I'm unsure whether or not to go for a starter/main/plenary...
    To go off what our uni have drilled into us, we've been told to absolutely follow the 3 part structure. Others may have been told differently though :dontknow: .

I did a mock 20 min lesson at uni the other day and they made us do it in 3 parts, despite the feeling that you don't have much time.

ReputationRep:
    To go off what our uni have drilled into us, we've been told to absolutely follow the 3 part structure. Others may have been told differently though :dontknow: .

I did a mock 20 min lesson at uni the other day and they made us do it in 3 parts, despite the feeling that you don't have much time.
    It worked for my first interview (They said my lesson was brilliant) so I'll just follow the same format again...hopefully I'll get this job >.<

ReputationRep:

I very much suggest you do it by the book. Not because I think it's better or worse, but because it's expected.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Can i ask how other people are doing in their observations for placement 2?
    Ive been getting high 3's and low 2's so far but im really worried that i should be doing better than that by now. My mentor etc are all being really supportive and positive but im worried that theyre just trying to make sure i dont get disheartened. I just feel like im stuck at this plateau and im not going to improve and pass at the end lf the course :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Hey guys,
    Ive been getting high 3's and low 2's so far but im really worried that i should be doing better than that by now. My mentor etc are all being really supportive and positive but im worried that theyre just trying to make sure i dont get disheartened. I just feel like im stuck at this plateau and im not going to improve and pass at the end lf the course :/
    At the end of my first placement, I got all minimums with one on track - My first placement school seemed quite harsh compared to other schools though. However, the point of the year is to show progress so hopefully my next report from my second placement will show progress!

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I very much suggest you do it by the book. Not because I think it's better or worse, but because it's expected.
    That's what I was thinking, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno who to talk to for advice. I might talk to my uni tutor about it, that's what they are there for after all. We shall see!

I haven't actually googled about teaching with it at all. Good idea with the IBS thing too. I will look into it. I'm trying to avoid telling my school about it. I've been off because of this op but they don't know what for. I don't know them to think I'm a special case. I don't want them to do anything that wouldn't be allowed once I got a job... :/ I guess I'm just stubborn.

Sorry to hear you are unwell. My mentor has IBS and has been teaching for 10 years. I'm sure it can be done with a supportive school.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I got a grade of 'unacceptable' - the lowest possible. My uni are supportive and have set up some additional help for me but I am disheartened and did cry when my mentor told me! This is such a tough course and I had no idea I was doing so badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I got a grade of 'unacceptable' - the lowest possible. My uni are supportive and have set up some additional help for me but I am disheartened and did cry when my mentor told me! This is such a tough course and I had no idea I was doing so badly.
    Awww, that sucks, im glad the uni are supportive though. They dont want you to fail so its good that theyre being helpful. I hope all goes ok with the course *hugs*

ReputationRep:

I would definitely say to make sure you have some kind of starter and some way of checking/showing that pupils have learned something. I don't think that necessarily has to be 3 parts because how you structure the middle of your lesson will vary and you may have different parts to that.

The difference in an interview lesson is that whereas normally (depending on the group) you might do quite a long starter to settle them, you need to make it really quick to avoid eating into the rest of the lesson too much.

If you're going to cut something, I'd cut down on the starter more than the plenary, as observers will want to see that pupils have learned something/made progress and the plenary should show that they have met the lesson objective.

I think it's good to do something simple for the starter but something which ensures all pupils have some shared basic knowledge which you then build on through the lesson. I found a simple worksheet quite good for this as it means pupils can look back at it later for support during other tasks.

In my last interview I had to teach a 20 minute lesson on booking a hotel room in French - here's now I broke it down (I know it's not your subject area, but it might give some ideas for structure):
    • Worksheet of key vocab (eg: double room, single room, for 5 people, for 4 people, with a shower, etc.) to match to pictures - 3 minute timer, then go through answers to check understanding.
    • Using this knowledge to make sentences - I threw a ball to pupils who had to form a sentence in French, and snowballed it to longer sentences (I would like a double room --> I would like a double room with a shower --> I would like a double room with a shower and a balcony for 3 nights, etc.) So this was whole class practice, and AfL - random questioning, not hands up.
    • Pupils worked in pairs to do a dialogue using the vocab (sentence starters on board, they filled gaps using vocab from sheet, so were supported to do this in quite a short time frame).
    • Plenary - I put a list of "I can" statements (related to the lesson objectives) on the board one by one, pupils used hand gestures (5 fingers = v confident, 1 finger = don't get it) to how how well they had learned that objective. By breaking the objectives into tiny chunks, you can show that all pupils have made progress (because even if they didn't get some of the objectives, they got the easiest bits).

I wouldn't normally do that kind of plenary - I find them a bit cringey. When I do plenaries they're more likely to involve pupils actually doing stuff (answering questions on mini-whiteboards, doing a vocabulary game boys vs. girls) which shows their knowledge. But I think it works well in an interview/observation context because it's quick and ticks a box.

I'd recommend using timers to keep control of the pace of the lesson more - these are good www.a6training.co.uk/resources/Countdown_Timers_For_PowerPoint. ppt You can copy and paste them into your own powerpoint which is handy.

Also, if you're worried about not getting through a meaty main activity, talk about it in your lesson plan. For interviews, I always included a "In a full length lesson, I would..." section, to show that even if I screw up the timings because 20 minutes is ridiculous, I do actually know how to teach...

ReputationRep:

If it helps I have ibs and am in third year of full time teaching. I have also suffered with my bladder in the past. Pm me if you want to ask me anything and if I can help I will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awww, that sucks, im glad the uni are supportive though. They dont want you to fail so its good that theyre being helpful. I hope all goes ok with the course *hugs*
    Thank you. I've heard this is a low point in the course so I hope we all feel a little better soon. Don't think anyone is just getting along without any problems so am not alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Sorry to hear that. It does feel like we can work SO hard and then have nothing to show for it at times. What grade do you need to pass the course? I don't know if this is different for all unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I would definitely say to make sure you have some kind of starter and some way of checking/showing that pupils have learned something. I don't think that necessarily has to be 3 parts because how you structure the middle of your lesson will vary and you may have different parts to that.

The difference in an interview lesson is that whereas normally (depending on the group) you might do quite a long starter to settle them, you need to make it really quick to avoid eating into the rest of the lesson too much.

If you're going to cut something, I'd cut down on the starter more than the plenary, as observers will want to see that pupils have learned something/made progress and the plenary should show that they have met the lesson objective.

I think it's good to do something simple for the starter but something which ensures all pupils have some shared basic knowledge which you then build on through the lesson. I found a simple worksheet quite good for this as it means pupils can look back at it later for support during other tasks.

In my last interview I had to teach a 20 minute lesson on booking a hotel room in French - here's now I broke it down (I know it's not your subject area, but it might give some ideas for structure):
    • Worksheet of key vocab (eg: double room, single room, for 5 people, for 4 people, with a shower, etc.) to match to pictures - 3 minute timer, then go through answers to check understanding.
    • Using this knowledge to make sentences - I threw a ball to pupils who had to form a sentence in French, and snowballed it to longer sentences (I would like a double room --> I would like a double room with a shower --> I would like a double room with a shower and a balcony for 3 nights, etc.) So this was whole class practice, and AfL - random questioning, not hands up.
    • Pupils worked in pairs to do a dialogue using the vocab (sentence starters on board, they filled gaps using vocab from sheet, so were supported to do this in quite a short time frame).
    • Plenary - I put a list of "I can" statements (related to the lesson objectives) on the board one by one, pupils used hand gestures (5 fingers = v confident, 1 finger = don't get it) to how how well they had learned that objective. By breaking the objectives into tiny chunks, you can show that all pupils have made progress (because even if they didn't get some of the objectives, they got the easiest bits).

I wouldn't normally do that kind of plenary - I find them a bit cringey. When I do plenaries they're more likely to involve pupils actually doing stuff (answering questions on mini-whiteboards, doing a vocabulary game boys vs. girls) which shows their knowledge. But I think it works well in an interview/observation context because it's quick and ticks a box.

I'd recommend using timers to keep control of the pace of the lesson more - these are good www.a6training.co.uk/resources/Countdown_Timers_For_PowerPoint. ppt You can copy and paste them into your own powerpoint which is handy.

Also, if you're worried about not getting through a meaty main activity, talk about it in your lesson plan. For interviews, I always included a "In a full length lesson, I would..." section, to show that even if I screw up the timings because 20 minutes is ridiculous, I do actually know how to teach...
    This was incredibly helpful! I really like the idea of having a worksheet as the starter activity - I think I'll print one out with my key words and LO on it for pupils to refer back to.

Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.