Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I adored that episode, the best in a while, I think.

That was another huge pile of stinking, mouldy tripe from the Doctor Who team:bawling: What even WAS that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Was actually disappointing I found. It's interesting to see the screwdriver back but the end of the me/Asheildr story is a little disappointing. Also they mentioned missy as being the other part of the hybrid... I thought that they were both time lords?
    That confused me too but Asheildr suggested that the doctor could be part time lord, part human though, meaning that if the master/missy is also, the doctor and she could be the collective 'hybrid'

ReputationRep:
    If the doctors memory as capaldi was wiped why can't he remember meeting Clara as Matt smith and then he'd know where she worked and when and could easily find her so the whole task would have been pointless. This doesn't add up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think the problem here was that it was 2 episodes merged. The first half was great and should have developed but instead they found 'Me' and made the Doctor forget.

That said i actually like the ending (although i preferred the stay dead option). Clara is now biologically frozen in time until a point at which she dies and giving 'Me' a tardis raises many possibilities.

Hoping River becomes a good character and not a 5 minute save before crapmas.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    That confused me too but Asheildr suggested that the doctor could be part time lord, part human though, meaning that if the master/missy is also, the doctor and she could be the collective 'hybrid'
    I thought that the point of what she said was that the dr was time lord and missy was some other species (human?) who made the collective hybrid. But the Dr is getting an increasingly confusing role.
    Wife in River.
    Missy and him make a colective 'hybrid'
    Jenny his daughter.

Yet all of this family haven't met eachother...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Was actually disappointing I found. It's interesting to see the screwdriver back but the end of the me/Asheildr story is a little disappointing. Also they mentioned missy as being the other part of the hybrid... I thought that they were both time lords?
    No, they didn't. They said she loved chaos and organised the formation of a two person hybrid of the doctor and clara...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    If the doctors memory as capaldi was wiped why can't he remember meeting Clara as Matt smith and then he'd know where she worked and when and could easily find her so the whole task would have been pointless. This doesn't add up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's just his memory as Clara is disappointed, not any events for anything just literally Clara

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by pineneedles)
    Are we supposed to know what/who the hybrid is after that? I didn't understand ANY OF IT.

And I can't believe the Doctor went to Gallifrey and we didn't hear ONE SINGLE moment of the 'This is Gallifrey' theme... This show makes me want to weep and weep ...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    No, they didn't. They said she loved chaos and organised the formation of a two person hybrid of the doctor and clara...
    Ohhh is that what was said?! I must've misunderstood then. It makes more sense when you say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I thought that the point of what she said was that the dr was time lord and missy was some other species (human?) who made the collective hybrid. But the Dr is getting an increasingly confusing role.
    Wife in River.
    Missy and him make a colective 'hybrid'
    Jenny his daughter.

Yet all of this family haven't met eachother...
    I didn't get that impression from what she said, I may watch the end again and think about it some more. It is getting rather confusing.

ReputationRep:
    There were some really nice touches (the original TARDIS console room, Capaldi's rendition of the original Doctor theme (from the RTD era), the barn from Day of the Doctor, the twist inspired from Journey's End) but overall it was quite overblown and at the end it just felt like another 'isn't Clara incredible' episode (like The Name of the Doctor), though she did look incredible in that waitress outfit
    I did think Peter Capaldi was amazing in it, I suppose it helps having an actor who can outshine the plot/writing so that it feels better than it was. This series was overall better than the last one, episodes 1-4 and 11 were great, 5, 6, 9, 10 weren't great and 7, 8 and 12 were okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Are we supposed to know what/who the hybrid is after that? I didn't understand ANY OF IT.

And I can't believe the Doctor went to Gallifrey and we didn't hear ONE SINGLE moment of the 'This is Gallifrey' theme... This show makes me want to weep and weep ...
    Yeah, I did think it was rather anticlimatic considering the Doctor had returned to Gallifrey
    I'm also surprised at the depth of the Doctor's feelings towards Clara.

ReputationRep:
    A really good episode and a perfect ending for Clara & Ashielda/Me

ReputationRep:
    That episode was okay. There have been some much better episodes this series, but there are probably series when none of the episodes have been as good. Also loved the original console room!

Also: spoiler related to something in the trailer for Christmas
    Spoiler:
    Show
    as someone who studied archaeology at university, I love love love the idea of River having a sonic trowel! :mmm:
    I really hope they use her well and make the character more like the library episodes rather than the ridiculous series around her birth which I have decided doesn't actually exist...

ReputationRep:
    For those that are confused:
    - The hybrid is The Doctor and his companions
    - They are a danger to Time itself as The Doctor will go to extreme lengths to save his companions
    - The Doctor lost his memory of Clara only
    - The Doctor regained most of his memory by "filling in the gaps", but couldn't fill in the gaps of what Clara looked/sounded like etc
    - Clara's face on his Tardis allowed him to realise the waitress was, in fact, Clara and thus he knows what she looks/sounds like
    - The Doctor has his memory of Clara back, but Clara has left in the Tardis with Me

I loved the Tardis being shaped like a diner, not sure if that was a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference or not, but in my mind it is .

Overall I really liked the episode. 9/10.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was ok but wasn't as good as some of the other episodes in the series. overall it has been hit and miss for me.

(Original post by tomtjl)
    For those that are confused:
    - The hybrid is The Doctor and his companions
    - They are a danger to Time itself as The Doctor will go to extreme lengths to save his companions
    - The Doctor lost his memory of Clara only
    - The Doctor regained most of his memory by "filling in the gaps", but couldn't fill in the gaps of what Clara looked/sounded like etc
    - Clara's face on his Tardis allowed him to realise the waitress was, in fact, Clara and thus he knows what she looks/sounds like
    - The Doctor has his memory of Clara back, but Clara has left in the Tardis with Me

I loved the Tardis being shaped like a diner, not sure if that was a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference or not, but in my mind it is .

Overall I really liked the episode. 9/10.
    But why did the Doctor have to lose his memory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    But why did the Doctor have to lose his memory?
    He didn't "have" to lose his memory. His plan was to wipe Clara's memory so she could live safely, but Clara told The Doctor she had reversed the polarity of the neuroblock. The Doctor couldn't be sure if she was lying or not, so they both used the neuroblock and one of them would lose their memory of the other, it's just by chance that The Doctor lost his memory and not Clara.

ReputationRep:
    My God that was an abhorrent, boring episode :erm: Worst companion "farewell" episode in the modern format. Rose had the Daleks, Martha had The Master, Donna had Davros, Amy had the Weeping Angels, all good major memorable farewells. The plot was convoluted and pretentious, the dialogue was backbreaking cringe at times and the jokes fell flat. And the worst thing is

Spoiler:
    Show
    River is back, ffs, if I hear "Hello sweetie" one more time... :mob:

Moffat is TV's George Lucas.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.