Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    tottenham + paulinho + a topclass striker = a scary proposition..

Especially given that AVB seems a little better then harry, and has now had a season to settle into the club..

(though whilst that may seem like a good top4 team.... arsenal+higuain+good DM+ good AM - seems like a tittle contending side...)
    Give them a left back and I might even say Tottenham would be a title contending side. Although all this is on paper no one knows how a signing will settle in.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Assou Ekotto and his two pairs of boots annoy the hell out of me just wear a matching pair damn it!

(Original post by jam277)
    Well tbf wenger probably thought armand traore could do the business as a backup(or he was high) until the united match happened. When nani showed armand traore that he's not arsenal quality then wenger decided to go on that spending spree, I swear down if you'd got a win vs newcastle and got a draw vs united you wouldn't have bought any players that window probably.
    I somehow doubt Wenger only started looking at transfer targets after the United game. :dontknow:

Also:
    Yes it was made hard for themselves, in context santos is unfair, a left back was needed at a days notice, santos was always in the driving seat over a deal. The likes of bendtner, vela(who wasn't played), denilson etc. on bumper deals was the real problem.
    Given that we weren't in a position to offer big wages to big players, I think Wenger's strategy of maintaining a somewhat equitable wage structure makes a little more sense. We were relying on promising youngsters to go out and do the business week-in week-out, and one of the things that made Arsenal such an attractive destination for youngsters at the time in my opinion was the wage structure we had: they knew they'd be able to earn more than they would at most other clubs. Sure, there was the issue of gametime and working with Wenger and all that, but I don't think that wouldn't have been a factor. And when you look at the players you've singled out, they were all highly regarded at the time: Vela was at one point regarded as one of the most promising young strikers around, Bendtner seemed pretty much on a cusp of a breakthrough to the first team at certain points, and Denilson when we signed him was the Brazil U-20s captain and pretty highly sought in Europe as well as South America. It's easy in hindsight to say that we shouldn't have been paying players who didn't do well very highly, but it was a very different picture at the time: Bendtner was often our second-choice striker after Eduardo's injury (given that van Persie was so often out injured as well) and Denilson got a fair number of first-team appearances, so they were hardly reserve players. They would be reserve players now, which is a completely different matter and imo a sign of the club growing back into normalcy: paying the players you've mentioned fairly high wages was at the time little different from playing Chamberlain fairly high wages, or De Bruyne over at Chelsea, or Zaha at United. They were never brought in with the intention of being reserves, which is why they were on substantial payrolls.

That's what I think, anyway. I know Wenger gets a lot of stick for his wage distribution and of course there are instances of it not working as well as we might have hoped, but I do think there's a logic to it. Sure, there's Denilson and Vela and Bendtner, but there's also Nasri and Sagna and maybe even Fabregas, all of whom I would think were influenced by the wage promises at Arsenal when deciding to join the club.

ReputationRep:
    Super excited, Saw higuain at knights bridge today. Fingers crossed.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    So confused, Is Higuain 'close ' or not?

(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Most reliable reports seem to suggest that he's close to signing a deal. :yep:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...nal-deal-close
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...onzalo-Higuain

We also seem to be linked to 'big-name QPR departure' Stephane Mbia. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Sky sports news have said that the medical won't take place for a couple of days at least but a compromise has been reached with Real Madrid over his fee. So its most likely he'll be confirmed by the club in the coming week if everything goes to plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    At least wait for us to lose the first 3 games of the season before coming up with this tired old trite.
    I reckon the wenger out brigade will start around november.

ReputationRep:
    They've already started mate. I honestly think some want the Higuain deal to fail just so they have ammo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    They've already started mate. I honestly think some want the Higuain deal to fail just so they have ammo.
    Even if it doesn't, as we've already seen, lots will complain about Higauin.

No pleasing people that just want to moan moan moan

ReputationRep:
    People who want change have been unwavering in the position for years now, people throw around the word fickle when people criticise wenger but most of them are anything but fickle unlike half the people who brown nose him all year then we lose to Bradford and they start saying they have doubts and questions about him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Even if it doesn't, as we've already seen, lots will complain about Higauin.

No pleasing people that just want to moan moan moan
    Yeah all I hear is "Higuain is a Real Madrid reject" "Higuain never scores in the big games" "Higuain has poor CL scoring record" "Why aren't we buying Benteke" "Why didn't we buy Falcao" Most of the WOB are fickle they don't understand what's been going on at Arsenal. Gary Neville summed it up brilliantly

ReputationRep:
    I really dont understand the WOB. They remind me of the kind of people who start shouting at a bus driver when the bus gets stuck in a traffic jam or something. No ability to comprehend the bigger picture whatsoever.

Its been done to death, but Wenger has steered Arsenal towards the mega-revenue that we need to compete. The WOB would probably prefer a few League cups over the last 8 years to long term competitiveness...

ReputationRep:
    Tis is probably the least popular opinion you can have but I think everyone underestimates the quality of our squads the last few years when they start banging on about x straight years in the CL, everyone underestimates how much money wenger had to spend and overstates how good of a job he's done, the narrative that he's kept us in the top 4 for 15 years as if it's some impossible job and not just achieving par does my head in

ReputationRep:
    What does WOB mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    What does WOB means?
    Wenger Out Brigade

In contrast to an AKB, Arsene Knows Best.

(Original post by alexsong)
    Tis is probably the least popular opinion you can have but I think everyone underestimates the quality of our squads the last few years when they start banging on about x straight years in the CL, everyone underestimates how much money wenger had to spend and overstates how good of a job he's done, the narrative that he's kept us in the top 4 for 15 years as if it's some impossible job and not just achieving par does my head in
    Arsenal build new stadium, Arsenal become skint for years, Wenger stops spending money but continues to keep us in the CL. That's the bottom line. Wouldve been nice to get ahead of Utd/Chelsea/City but its kind of hard when you spend nothing and your rivals literally spend about a billion quid between them.

Also people seem to think because Wenger didnt spend the money available in the past, it was just wasted. There's a reason we have 150m in the bank and there's a reason we can now go out and sign players like Higuain without blinking. Wenger's been squirreling it away, but its still going to be used by the club. Wenger may have been over cautious but people speak as if he missed a once in a lifetime opportunity by not spending.

And I wouldnt call top 4 for 16 years par. What's ironic is that Arsenal fans have become so used to Wenger delivering it that they see it as a birthright.

ReputationRep:
    Personally think you need to win the treble before people stop complaining about wenger
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Like I said before the 2010/11 season is a sackable offence if it was anyone but wenger

ReputationRep:
    Personally think you need to win the treble before people stop complaining about wenger

Like I said before the 2010/11 season is a sackable offence if it was anyone but wenger
    Yeah the way we ended that season was a disgrace, the summer of 2011/12 was an absolute disgrace too culminating in a humiliating 8-2 loss to Man Utd, we some how manage to get in the CL after being sub par for half a season in large part thanks to tottenham ballsing it up then this season perform at about a par level to get in the top 4 throw in a few awful cup defeats, running wilshere into the ground, terrible contracts, ridiculous press conferences, at least 10 lackadaisical performances a season that people paid good money to watch and you have the last few years of Wenger but apparently he is above reproach ?

Its nice to go on about how many straight years we got in the CL but if you break it down it holds no water in terms of being grounds for praise

(Original post by Zürich)
    Wenger Out Brigade

In contrast to an AKB, Arsene Knows Best.

Arsenal build new stadium, Arsenal become skint for years, Wenger stops spending money but continues to keep us in the CL. That's the bottom line. Wouldve been nice to get ahead of Utd/Chelsea/City but its kind of hard when you spend nothing and your rivals literally spend about a billion quid between them.

Also people seem to think because Wenger didnt spend the money available in the past, it was just wasted. There's a reason we have 150m in the bank and there's a reason we can now go out and sign players like Higuain without blinking. Wenger's been squirreling it away, but its still going to be used by the club. Wenger may have been over cautious but people speak as if he missed a once in a lifetime opportunity by not spending.

And I wouldnt call top 4 for 16 years par. What's ironic is that Arsenal fans have become so used to Wenger delivering it that they see it as a birthright.

Have you ever gone into a season thinking we dont have one of the best 4/5 squads in the league ? Or thinking you would be happy with 5th ? Top 4 is par mate

ReputationRep:
    But, have we really had the money to spend though? Even the supposedly 120m we have as bank reserve isn't really available to him.

The biggest problem is that people are comparing us to oligarch/ sheikhs backed an power house team.People don't realise how massive a task the emirates is, look at spurs despite been in a better financial situation than we were at the beginning of emirates, and with some government funding, they're still struggling to begin work on their stadium. Another example is Valencia- a team highly similar to us still haven't finished their stadium despite starting at same time as us.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.