The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
You need to lay off the coke man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha....and of the last two players Barca pinched from Arsenal, one snapped his hamstng immediately and the other now plays for West Ham. :biggrin:
Hey guys, quick question:
What is Oxford's view, more specifically Magdalen's view, on applicants who've resat exams?

I did the IB and got 38 points (out of 45) with 7-6-6 at higher level - the equivalent of A*AA. So I already have my grades.But I also redid a maths exam a couple of days ago hoping to bump up my total to 40-41 points.

Considering I've already met the minimum requirement for the Law course, will this resit be viewed badly by the admissions team? I'm only getting my results in January, so I know this retake won't be seen as a positive addition to my application, but I want to make sure it's not a deterrent either.

I realised today one of the unis I'm applying to adamantly refuses to make offers for their Law courses to students who resit exams, A-Levels or otherwise. I tried to find info about this on Oxford's website, to no avail. Any advice/info is appreciated, thanks!
Reply 5002
Original post by Look,Yes,But,See
Hi Ambre,

I see from the interview holder's thread that you are interviewing at St Peter's but also at Christ Church.

Was St Peter's your first choice?

If so, to have Ch Ch 'come in for you' is quite impressive, a bit like Barcelona coming in for a player Arsenal think they have nearly signed?

I don't know a lot about St Peter's, or about your course (or indeed the application process:colondollar:), so I might be wide of the mark, but it sounds like an interesting story.

I imagine you must be a very strong applicant; to get any interview so quickly seems impressive, to have 2 interested in you is compelling, to have Ch Ch trying to gazump St P's... wow!

...or is this normal and am I putting 1 and 1 together and getting 38.2?

Yes, St Peter's was my first choice. Is it impressive? I thought it was quite common!
Haha thank you so much... there's nothing special about my application though, I haven't got lots of A*s at GCSE and my AS grades are the standard 4 As so I don't think it really means anything.
Yes, I do think it's a very normal part of the procedure. :smile:
Original post by Ambre
Yes, St Peter's was my first choice. Is it impressive? I thought it was quite common!
Haha thank you so much... there's nothing special about my application though, I haven't got lots of A*s at GCSE and my AS grades are the standard 4 As so I don't think it really means anything.
Yes, I do think it's a very normal part of the procedure. :smile:

I guess you're right but if Ch Ch wanted to interview me I'd be pogo'ing around the lounge!:badger:

-

I should add that I am not even applying to Oxford, despite having a reasonable app, as I know a few people who crashed and burned there and what I want from uni is to have a great time, get a decent degree and not be uber-stressed...

....but If I had applied I would have done so to Ch Ch!

Best to you, and knock 'em out!
LYBS (sniff)

-

BTW - Before I get disparaging remarks, I am fully aware that that badger is not actually pogo'ing (pogoing??), it was the nearest I could find - 2-footed pogo'ing?:badger:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by applying2skool
Hey guys, quick question:
What is Oxford's view, more specifically Magdalen's view, on applicants who've resat exams?

I did the IB and got 38 points (out of 45) with 7-6-6 at higher level - the equivalent of A*AA. So I already have my grades.But I also redid a maths exam a couple of days ago hoping to bump up my total to 40-41 points.

Considering I've already met the minimum requirement for the Law course, will this resit be viewed badly by the admissions team? I'm only getting my results in January, so I know this retake won't be seen as a positive addition to my application, but I want to make sure it's not a deterrent either.

I realised today one of the unis I'm applying to adamantly refuses to make offers for their Law courses to students who resit exams, A-Levels or otherwise. I tried to find info about this on Oxford's website, to no avail. Any advice/info is appreciated, thanks!

Hello there :smile:
Maybe you should try emailing their admissions team? Or maybe call them if you want to be anonymous? Also, do you know when specifically you will know your new results as Oxford decisions come out on Jan 6 (according to the website) so I'm assuming the tutors would have already come to a consensus beforehand. Hence, I'm not too sure how big of an impact it may have to your application. Hope that helps! I've also applied for Oxford Law :colondollar:
This waiting is so stressful! I'm honesty going to cry if I don't get an interview (and maybe even if I do :tongue:)
Original post by cakeislife
This waiting is so stressful! I'm honesty going to cry if I don't get an interview (and maybe even if I do :tongue:)

That is exactly how I'm feeling right now too :bawling: What subject and college did you apply for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5007
Original post by Look,Yes,But,See
I guess you're right but if Ch Ch wanted to interview me I'd be pogo'ing around the lounge!:badger:

-

I should add that I am not even applying to Oxford, despite having a reasonable app, as I know a few people who crashed and burned there and what I want from uni is to have a great time, get a decent degree and not be uber-stressed...

....but If I had applied I would have done so to Ch Ch!

Best to you, and knock 'em out!
LYBS (sniff)

-

BTW - Before I get disparaging remarks, I am fully aware that that badger is not actually pogo'ing (pogoing??), it was the nearest I could find - 2-footed pogo'ing?:badger:

If getting an interview from Christ Church would have made you that happy, you should have applied to Oxford! What were your AS results?
Thanks, I'll do my best :wink:
what does LYBS stand for?
Original post by Another student.
That is exactly how I'm feeling right now too :bawling: What subject and college did you apply for?

French at New College :tongue: My grades aren't the best though, and although I think I did ok in the admissions test I'm worried that my grades (especially GCSE) will affect my chances :/ what about you?
just want an oxford interview :frown: for medicine
Original post by cakeislife
French at New College :tongue: My grades aren't the best though, and although I think I did ok in the admissions test I'm worried that my grades (especially GCSE) will affect my chances :/ what about you?

That's amazing, French is such a complex language. I did IB French SL and I barely made it!! I applied for Law at St.Anne's but I'm worried that I bombed my LNAT, which was a lot harder than the practice papers :s-smilie:
Original post by Another student.
Hello there :smile:
Maybe you should try emailing their admissions team? Or maybe call them if you want to be anonymous? Also, do you know when specifically you will know your new results as Oxford decisions come out on Jan 6 (according to the website) so I'm assuming the tutors would have already come to a consensus beforehand. Hence, I'm not too sure how big of an impact it may have to your application. Hope that helps! I've also applied for Oxford Law :colondollar:

Thank you! I'll call them, that's a good idea.
The results for IB also come out on January 6th! I'm not so worried about the grades themselves having an impact on my application, and like you say, the would have come to a consensus by then, but rather just the fact that I'm re-sitting an exam.
Cool, which college? :smile:
The results for IB also come out on January 6th! I'm not so worried about the grades themselves having an impact on my application, and like you say, the would have come to a consensus by then, but rather just the fact that I'm re-sitting an exam.

St. Anne's :h: and maybe you don't have to tell them that you are resitting an exam? Unless you put your math grade as pending on your UCAS app.
Come on Oxford, just please send me my chemistry interview/rejection. The suspense is killing me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WillWalker23
GCSE grades: 11A*s 1A
A-Levels: 5As at AS in Maths. Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and General Studies. Predicted 3A*s in Maths Further Maths and Chemistry
Course: Mathematics
College: Brasenose College

Have you received an interview yet?
Any engineering science interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ambre
If getting an interview from Christ Church would have made you that happy, you should have applied to Oxford! What were your AS results?
Thanks, I'll do my best :wink:
what does LYBS stand for?

When I was young I really wanted to go to Oxford.

I go to a good school and got super grades at GCSE and am predicted strong grades at Pre-U (no lower 6th exam).

But I have seen people I know who are much smarter than I get so stressed and so I took the decision not to apply. I am not so much lazy as I like to do things my way and in my own time - and am sure I would not enjoy the 'Oxford' pressure and so I took Polonious' advice and I was true to myself.

I don't think UCL will be a walk in the park and I know that I will have to really work hard, but it won't be Oxford. Oxford really do mean it when they say they want the brightest and the best, and even if I made the cut I would be running uphill all the way.

Why Ch Ch? Have you been there?????

LYBS
Look yes, but seeee.... Everyone looks, few see.

That doesn't make sense.

I can see that they (and other universities) might decide to ignore your re-sit mark (especially since they won't have it until after the decision is made!) but why would they invalidate your original mark?
Original post by Pars12
That doesn't make sense.

I can see that they (and other universities) might decide to ignore your re-sit mark (especially since they won't have it until after the decision is made!) but why would they invalidate your original mark?

Oh no, not invalidate my original mark. My concern was that some universities don't accept students who take resits (like UCL, for Law). And I wanted to know if re-sitting exams is seen negatively by Oxford admissions.
Oh no, not invalidate my original mark. My concern was that some universities don't accept students who take resits (like UCL, for Law). And I wanted to know if re-sitting exams is seen negatively by Oxford admissions.

Maybe check dis:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2008012

Latest