Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    In my personal statement near the end I accidentally have an extra word ('to') where there shouldn't be one. I'd had it checked countless times and went over it myself again and again but failed to see the error. Do you think it'll have any substantial impact on my application?
    It's weird that I made the exact same stupid error, 'to to'. I read my personal statement over and over again, but I didn't spot it somehow. Oh well, it's not going to make or break an offer from any university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecake123)
    Who's applying for medicine at oxford?
    Me, at St. Hugh's. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    Are you 100% sure it had the typo in when you sent it? (By looking on Track)

Just try and forget about it :-) x
    Yeah hopefully they don't notice it like I didn't for a while aha, and that my other credentials make up for it

ReputationRep:
    In my personal statement near the end I accidentally have an extra word ('to' where there shouldn't be one. I'd had it checked countless times and went over it myself again and again but failed to see the error. Do you think it'll have any substantial impact on my application?
    It should make you feel a lot better to know that my tutor has known a student to be accepted by Oxford with a spelling mistake on their PS! So it's not deal breaker. Just hope you get to interview and as soon as you walk into the room spell a really difficult word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    I found sections 1 & 3 easy enough, although with section 1 you never really know how you did until you get your marks lol
    Section 2 was okay, but barely finished it on time and judging by what people said were answers, I've got like 5 wrong already
    Sucks because I'm 100% reliant on BMAT getting me an interview since I don't have GCSEs
    Yeah, Section 1 performance really is kind of unpredictable like that... Hey, you never know, you might actually have done pretty well. I know that I am horrible at guessing how well I do on BMAT (based on timed past papers I did) but I usually can guess really well regarding other exams. At the end of the day, it's just a waiting game so... The 25th will tell us a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlaneovertheSea)
    I am still trying to figure out some coping mechanism. Applying was and is a really long shot and I know that, but I cant get over my hopes and all the (probably totally inacurate) pictures in my head. I am forcing myself into this sort of limbo where I kind of expect a rejection but am hoping for an invitation like crazy and to be honest I just want to know which one of those it will be to properly deal with it....
    This. Seriously preparing myself for that rejection email now......I just want the whole waiting process to be over and done with. *Sigh* If only I could simply not care about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    I wonder when the chemistry interviews will start being distributed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully soon, if theyre doing biochemistry which doesn't have a test either. Which college did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    It should make you feel a lot better to know that my tutor has known a student to be accepted by Oxford with a spelling mistake on their PS! So it's not deal breaker. Just hope you get to interview and as soon as you walk into the room spell a really difficult word.
    Thank you so much it does make me feel better, I feel like it would be silly for them to reject an applicant on something so minor relative to everything else. And tbh all my teachers and I didn't notice it countless times. But my dad read it once and noticed it immediately. He made me read the sentence again and again to see what was wrong with it and I still didn't notice aha. Maybe there's hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    I wonder when the chemistry interviews will start being distributed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by JosieH98)
    Hopefully soon, if theyre doing biochemistry which doesn't have a test either. Which college did you apply to?
    Sorry, it might be another couple of weeks yet! I think I got my invitation late November, about 2 weeks before my interviews. Even without an admissions test the process does take a while. Also remember the colleges are independent - just because one college sends interview invites early, doesn't mean all will.

ReputationRep:
    How would you guys answer the interview question: why do you want to study your subject, and why at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    How would you guys answer the interview question: why do you want to study your subject, and why at Oxford?
    Honestly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BritishBean)
    Honestly?
    I guess what you'd say at an interview.

ReputationRep:
    I guess what you'd say at an interview.
    Did you get an interview yet? If not, I wouldn't worry about prepping for the interview lol. How did you do on the entrance exam.

ReputationRep:
    any law interview offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    Did you get an interview yet? If not, I wouldn't worry about prepping for the interview lol. How did you do on the entrance exam.
    No not yet, and haha probably terribly i found the TSA section 1 much tighter for time this year and had to guess some. But my school has organised an interview practice day today so i'm prepping for that aha

ReputationRep:
    I have an invitation to interview! Right, so I'm a bit confused. My grades aren't great compared to the majority, so my extenuating circumstances must have been considered. From here, is it mainly the interview that matters/determines whether or not I get an offer? Because I don't want to be held back still by my grades. I've heard that if you get past 'stage 1' (assessment of application, grades, reference etc) and receive an interview, the interview is the determining factor and everyone is on equal ground (that is to say I have an equal chance of getting an offer as everyone else) or will my grades still hold me back? Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    I have an invitation to interview! Right, so I'm a bit confused. My grades aren't great compared to the majority, so my extenuating circumstances must have been considered. From here, is it mainly the interview that matters/determines whether or not I get an offer? Because I don't want to be held back still by my grades. I've heard that if you get past 'stage 1' (assessment of application, grades, reference etc) and receive an interview, the interview is the determining factor and everyone is on equal ground (that is to say I have an equal chance of getting an offer as everyone else) or will my grades still hold me back? Thanks.
    WOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH!! :woo:

That is soo awesome, well done!!!! I'm legit super happy for you

I think they take everything into account but your interview will be one of the most important aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    WOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH!! :woo:

That is soo awesome, well done!!!! I'm legit super happy for you

I think they take everything into account but your interview will be one of the most important aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you thank you! was just about to dm you I've heard many things and also that we're given a number of points based on our grades and interview score?! And then compared via our scores! That's quite daunting. I have no clue though, this could be far from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    Congratulations!! I'm in the same position as you are with the slightly lower grades (GCSEs) and I'm hoping for an interview

What course/college did you get it for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzaion)
    Congratulations!! I'm in the same position as you are with the slightly lower grades (GCSEs) and I'm hoping for an interview

What course/college did you get it for?
    Ahh good luck! Biochemistry at Brasenose What have you applied for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.