Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Anyone need any tips, just ask I'll be on for the next few hours!
    Got test on next thursday. Is medify similar to the actual exam? Plus I can only do like 10 question in QR and I have to guess? Anything I can do to improve or am I effed? And for VR not the T/F the other ones do you read the whole passage or keywords? And do you get any mark for partially right in SJ? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    exams tomorrow. what should i do in the morning?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any medify accounts that i could use that they no longer need? I'm sitting my test tomorrow I just need a good bank of questions to improve my AR. Also, (to the user talking about kissing ass) medicine is really competitive and I honestly don't think you could be a doctor unless you wish for others what you wish for yourself. If you go on to study medicine plenty of students are going to be smarter than you - you don't have to put everyone down just because deep down your jealous. Also, to the individual whose doing well at AR - well bloody done! You don't deserve this kind of negativity. You've worked really hard for it - just ignore the negative vibes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just wanted to ask for VR would you read the whole passage through and then answer the question for both t/f and the statements? My reading speed is average or probably slower and I don't think i'll be able to improve it as my actual exam is on wednesday.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potatoo)
    Got test on next thursday. Is medify similar to the actual exam? Plus I can only do like 10 question in QR and I have to guess? Anything I can do to improve or am I effed? And for VR not the T/F the other ones do you read the whole passage or keywords? And do you get any mark for partially right in SJ? Thank you
    Medify is by far the best resource i found.
    Just to note, however, the VR questions are a little bit easier (They won't give you any really obscure ones) but the passages are longer. So, i really recommend you practice speed reading - newspapers, articles and whatnot.
    For quantitative reasoning, don't worry! The questions are a lot easier than those found on medify and the mocks. To put this into perspective, the preliminary average this year was 700 for QR. What i really recommend you do for this section is learn the shortcuts as it essentially grants you an extra minute:
    Alt+C to open the calculator (As it will close every time you click next)
    Cntrl+P for previous questions
    Cntrl+N for Next
    Cntrl+F to Flag
    This means you don't have to keep moving your cursor, which wastes time.
    For the T/F questions, Scan Scan Scan! For the part 2 questions, i would not recommend reading the whole passages as they are quite long and would take about 90-100 seconds to read, which would not give you enough time to answer the questions. It might be a good idea to flag the really long ones and come back to them later (e.g. Which one is the author most likely to agree/disagree with). However, some of the type 2 are scannable (e.g. Why did mercury crash into the sun - scan for mercury, look for the reason). Just really practice speed reading

You do get marks for partially correct questions in SJT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    One last thing I'd like to add is, I said everyone is a little stressed, because I'm fairly certain a test that pretty much determines whether you get into medicine or not is gonna make you feel a bit worried. I'm dealing with stress very well, why do you think I'm on this thread in the first place- to get help from everyone. Empathy is always required it's not something you make a choice with. I'm dealing with my stress as best as I can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awww okay i totally understand how you got offended by me stating that a question was reasonable and to not think that a similar one wouldn't come up. It was so heartless of me to insult you like that, just keep working on the easy questions and think it's all going to be fine because all that matters is whether you believe that the test is all going to be just easy questions and not actually the reality in which you could underestimate it and mess it up! I can't believe i was so irresponsible and apathetic towards your precious delicate little self.
    please forgive me, and just remember that if you convince yourself that only easy questions will come up then the magical ukcat fairy will most definitely make your dream come true!!! Believing is achieving, you go girl!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeshforce1)
    exams tomorrow. what should i do in the morning?
    Thanks
    Eat a really good breakfast and practice speed reading some news articles on your phone. Should get you in the zone Meditation also works for calming the nerves! If you have made one, look over your AR mind map to remind yourself of the patterns you missed. I would not recommend doing full blown revision, as it will just tire you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeed.)
    Hi I just wanted to ask for VR would you read the whole passage through and then answer the question for both t/f and the statements? My reading speed is average or probably slower and I don't think i'll be able to improve it as my actual exam is on wednesday.

Thank you.
    When i first started revising, i used to read the whole passage through. However, then i saw people on TSR saying scan. Although it felt slower at first, once you practice it you can really get a lot quicker. I would thoroughly recommend that you identify key words from the questions and scan the passage. For the harder type 2 (Which of these is the author most likely to agree with etc.) just flag them and come back. They normally take about 60 seconds, so you want to get the easier questions out of the way first.

ReputationRep:
    I think I may be the opposite of some of the struggles here. Verbal reasoning has come quite easily thanks to a non science degree. AR I'm finally happy with after a few weeks of daily practice (and when I began, this was the section I feared the most, I could not get the patterns, now it's second nature).
    QR however is a different story. Haven't used math skills in years so it's like starting afresh.

The only thing I can say is PRACTICE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Awww okay i totally understand how you got offended by me stating that a question was reasonable and to not think that a similar one wouldn't come up. It was so heartless of me to insult you like that, just keep working on the easy questions and think it's all going to be fine because all that matters is whether you believe that the test is all going to be just easy questions and not actually the reality in which you could underestimate it and mess it up! I can't believe i was so irresponsible and apathetic towards your precious delicate little self.
    please forgive me, and just remember that if you convince yourself that only easy questions will come up then the magical ukcat fairy will most definitely make your dream come true!!! Believing is achieving, you go girl!
    Okay... You could have just been mature and apologised, but now we can both move on knowing that you aren't that type of person clearly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I NEED QR HELP! I am soooo bad at mental maths and i need to speed up the rate at which i answer questions as the rate is letting me down
    Should i just practice using the calc or would u recommend that i get into the habit of answering without a calc and do it mentally?
    please help i have my exam on the 4th and QR is my weakest section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    I NEED QR HELP! I am soooo bad at mental maths and i need to speed up the rate at which i answer questions as the rate is letting me down
    Should i just practice using the calc or would u recommend that i get into the habit of answering without a calc and do it mentally?
    please help i have my exam on the 4th and QR is my weakest section
    What I found is that the hardest questions are at the beginning... so I've developed a method (wtf i sound like a mad scientist lmao) which is basically AS SOON as you see complex data flag and move on to the simpler ones - so you're not wasting valuable time freaking out. By doing the simple percentage calculations you're easing into it and remember it's not about being able to do every question flawlessly - there will be some questions that you just won't get (keep these for the end). Just focus on accumulating marks. Everything else is additional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    What I found is that the hardest questions are at the beginning... so I've developed a method (wtf i sound like a mad scientist lmao) which is basically AS SOON as you see complex data flag and move on to the simpler ones - so you're not wasting valuable time freaking out. By doing the simple percentage calculations you're easing into it and remember it's not about being able to do every question flawlessly - there will be some questions that you just won't get (keep these for the end). Just focus on accumulating marks. Everything else is additional.
    Thanks for the advice! have you already done your exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    Thanks for the advice! have you already done your exam?
    Nope! I've got it tomorrow morning! I'm absolutely bricking it. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, i'm sure you'll do great! Just stay calm, eat well and drink lots (Ofc not right before the exam, then you'll really need a pee the entire thing )

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, good luck !!! i'm sure you'll do great!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, i'm sure you'll do great! Just stay calm, eat well and drink lots (Ofc not right before the exam, then you'll really need a pee the entire thing )
    Thanks! OMG THAT HAPPENED TO MY FRIEND... lol but worst case scenario I just give up, leave the test centre and live in a bin for the rest of my days. Just kidding I'll probably take a gap year or something.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! OMG THAT HAPPENED TO MY FRIEND... lol but worst case scenario I just give up, leave the test centre and live in a bin for the rest of my days. Just kidding I'll probably take a gap year or something.
    😂😂 omg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    Oh god, good luck !!! i'm sure you'll do great!!!
    Thank you! I hope you do really well! Gosh this whole process is a bit much isn't it? Wish I could do something else but I can't see myself doing anything else. Honestly, I just love people. That's so weird when I say it but that's the highlight of the whole thing - helping people when they need it most. Just being there when they need someone to trust. x Also, old people are the best. I'm just rambling now...

ReputationRep:
    Medify is by far the best resource i found.
    Just to note, however, the VR questions are a little bit easier (They won't give you any really obscure ones) but the passages are longer. So, i really recommend you practice speed reading - newspapers, articles and whatnot.
    For quantitative reasoning, don't worry! The questions are a lot easier than those found on medify and the mocks. To put this into perspective, the preliminary average this year was 700 for QR. What i really recommend you do for this section is learn the shortcuts as it essentially grants you an extra minute:
    Alt+C to open the calculator (As it will close every time you click next)
    Cntrl+P for previous questions
    Cntrl+N for Next
    Cntrl+F to Flag
    This means you don't have to keep moving your cursor, which wastes time.
    For the T/F questions, Scan Scan Scan! For the part 2 questions, i would not recommend reading the whole passages as they are quite long and would take about 90-100 seconds to read, which would not give you enough time to answer the questions. It might be a good idea to flag the really long ones and come back to them later (e.g. Which one is the author most likely to agree/disagree with). However, some of the type 2 are scannable (e.g. Why did mercury crash into the sun - scan for mercury, look for the reason). Just really practice speed reading

You do get marks for partially correct questions in SJT!
    Thank you. Really appreciate it

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.