Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes - that's very common (both your firm and insurance can do this if you miss your offer conditions). You can either accept it or (if it is your firm) decline the new offer within 7 days and you'll be passed to your insurance.
    Is this more common for humanities than STEM subjects? I don't see what they could alternatively offer you if you missed your Physics offer for example.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what does it mean when something goes clearing???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    My teacher expects the grade boundaries to be fairly high this year as a means of bridging the "difficulty gap" i.e. the performance on the old and new specification (coming into place from 2017).

I have already noticed this trend last year...for an A in French +11, English +9, Psychology +7...
    Is that for AS or A2? Because I can't imagine A2 going up that much considering it's the last year of that spec.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It might do - what is likely to happen in the next 5 years is for universities to get into financial troubles and get taken over. That's what all the recent bills have been working towards - less protection for universities if income plummets. With 18 year olds decreasing, brexit making the UK less attractive to EU students and a new PM who has overseen some of the harshest cuts to student visas while she was home secretary, the outlook for universities that struggle to recruit is not good.

Yes - that's very common (both your firm and insurance can do this if you miss your offer conditions). You can either accept it or (if it is your firm) decline the new offer within 7 days and you'll be passed to your insurance.
    Are things really that bleak in the university sector? I had no idea. So who,do you expect to be doing the take overs? Other unis so you end up with university chains across the country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    oh cool, probably likely to hear something on the day of results have you applied for accommodation?

good luck!
    yepp ive applied for accommodation, wbu? Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    Is that for AS or A2? Because I can't imagine A2 going up that much considering it's the last year of that spec.
    Wouldn't AS also be low because it's a new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just received an email from my firm saying they've changed the dates for when I need to pay for Accomodation (until after I receive my loan) does anyone else think this may mean I've got the grades or is it compulsory for them to reply to my initial email even if I didn't get the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    Wouldn't AS also be low because it's a new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, the new Spec has no bearing on A2 students whilst AS students have a new and unproved Spec. Not sure how it could be higher to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gp1208)
    yepp ive applied for accommodation, wbu? Good luck to you too!
    yeahh what did you put as your first choice? thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crozzer24)
    Just received an email from my firm saying they've changed the dates for when I need to pay for Accomodation (until after I receive my loan) does anyone else think this may mean I've got the grades or is it compulsory for them to reply to my initial email even if I didn't get the grades
    I think you're in

ReputationRep:
    Usually accommodation departments are independent of the respective subject departments which make decisions, so I doubt they have any information other than you have an offer as results are under embargo.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind if my track doesn't update, not gonna be able to see the screen through my tears anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Is this more common for humanities than STEM subjects? I don't see what they could alternatively offer you if you missed your Physics offer for example.
    In my experience it applies across all subjects (but varies between universities - some are more likely than others).

For Physics the most common alternative is a foundation year option or something like geophysics/medical physics if the applicant has the sort of background where that might appeal....but if an applicant has done well in their 3rd A level (ie not maths or physics) then they might be offered a course along those lines.

Often if it's a big change then a university wont make the offer on Track but will leave the application conditional and speak to the applicant on results day "we can't take you for physics but would you be interested in either our chemistry, geography or environmental science courses?" and then make a changed course offer based on the applicant's preferences (or reject them if that's what they'd prefer).

(Original post by Aph)
    Are things really that bleak in the university sector? I had no idea. So who,do you expect to be doing the take overs? Other unis so you end up with university chains across the country?
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...lth-check-2016
    It's very mixed - any university with staff costs taking up more than 60% of income is at enormous risk of financial problems if they under recruit for a year or more.

Add in the private providers who have been growing and growing (and who the latest HE bill is there to help official-ise) and the market is very tight. Failure is likely to take 5+ years (and in the past local universities have always stepped in and taken over failing HE colleges eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Sai...gher_Education - but then there's also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_College ) so it isn't an immediate issue -but that's definitely the direction things are going. Successful universities are recruiting more and more students, less successful universities are under recruiting more and more each year.

ReputationRep:
    Anyones offer been changed to unconditional here?! I've seen a few people that firmed Reading have heard back - makes me nervous because that's my firm and I haven't heard anything
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely the accommodation team will send out different emails to different students based on their position at the moment - it's a standard email sent out to everyone holding an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone Firmed or Insured UCL? If yeah what course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    yeahh what did you put as your first choice? thank you!
    talybont court, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    This is making me nervous. All these people with unconditional or emails pointing to that and I've had nothing on my email or Track. These three days are going to be hell.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone waiting on Edexcel maths AS results here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gp1208)
    talybont court, wbu?
    same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.