Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone here ever thought that Tobey Maguire is the wrong choice for Spiderman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    5-6 new posters within a week. Signature promotions seem to be doing the job. :proud:
    You're doing a fine job whoring yourself around TSR. :yy:

(Original post by Roobsa)
    You're doing a fine job whoring yourself around TSR. :yy:
    Anything to bring them in. :proud:

Question is will they stay? :holmes:

We need a good core group of posters.

So far we have: me, Phalanges, Roobsa, Madjackismad, Channy, S-Man, cambo, unknownking321, SirRamAlot, Samanthaaaa

Don't know what happened to zjs, aja89, Win2kpro, kflynn, rofflewaffle, Deshi and seasonisonfire. :rip:

I've probably offended someone by missing them out.

Question is will they stay? :holmes:
    What are the odds?

We need for a good core group of posters.

So far we have: me, Phalanges, Roobsa, Madjackismad, Channy, S-Man, cambo,

I've probably offended someone by missing them out.
    Jace Falco, UK321 and probably the occasional drop like Kolya.

(Original post by S-man10)
    Anyone here ever thought that Tobey Maguire is the wrong choice for Spiderman?
    No, because most of the time, it would probably not have been Tobey in the suits doing the stunts (he did quite a bit though IIRC). I think they were more concerned about Peter Parker, and Tobey was well cast to play him as he has this subtle form of acting that goes well with Peter Parker's geeky and insecure aspects of the character. Very sad to see him go.

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    No, because most of the time, it would probably not have been Tobey in the suits doing the stunts (he did quite a bit though IIRC). I think they were more concerned about Peter Parker, and Tobey was well cast to play him as he has this subtle form of acting that goes well with Peter Parker's geeky and insecure aspects of the character. Very sad to see him go.
    Sam Raimi originally wanted Heath Ledger. I wonder how he would have fit in...

Have you seen the Spiderman cartoons? The 1994 animated series?

ReputationRep:
    5-6 new posters within a week. Signature promotions seem to be doing the job. :proud:

Any other films you have watched recently? Are there any you are looking forward to?
    Oh, I watched Inception and it just blowed my head off. :cool:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The reaction of Leonardo Di Caprio (who otherwise I don't like that much) when Marion Cotillard killed herself was just soo ... I don't know, it is one of the best movie scenes I've seen.

(sorry for the people who saw the spoiler and haven't seen the movie yet, I just forget to put the sign )

Otherwise, I'm recently looking for movies that are set either in the time of WWI or WWII, or movies that deal with the communist past of Eastern Europe (for example Das Leben der Anderen). Strange history obsession I have .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenesais)
    The reaction of Leonardo Di Caprio (who otherwise I don't like that much) when Marion Cotillard killed herself was just soo ... I don't know, it is one of the best movie scenes I've seen.
    DAYUUM. I haven't seen it yet. :mad:

(Original post by jenesais)
    Spoiler it ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    And THIS is why spoilers should be used. That sucks.

Spoiler it ffs.
    Spoiler the quote too.

Sam Raimi originally wanted Heath Ledger. I wonder how he would have fit in...

Have you seen the Spiderman cartoons? The 1994 animated series?
    Yeah, I watched them. I seriously don't think Ledger would've been good as Spider-Man, he's a more macho, actiony type guy than Tobey and Peter Parker is a bit of a geeky, insecure guy.

I'm also sad to see Raimi go, Spider-Man 3 was not really his problem since the studio were pushing him to add too many villains in and it's the studio pushing Raimi to take Spider-Man back to high school for Spider-Man 4 that led him and the rest of the cast to quit. The reason I'm sad to see Raimi go because he was a good choice of director, he's a big fan of the Spider-Man comics, created one of the biggest cult movies to come out of America and had a directing style that seemed perfect in bringing the Spider-Man comics to life.

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    Yeah, I watched them. I seriously don't think Ledger would've been good as Spider-Man, he's a more macho, actiony type guy than Tobey and Peter Parker is a bit of a geeky, insecure guy.

I'm also sad to see Raimi go, Spider-Man 3 was not really his problem since the studio were pushing him to add too many villains in and it's the studio pushing Raimi to take Spider-Man back to high school for Spider-Man 4 that led him and the rest of the cast to quit. The reason I'm sad to see Raimi go because he was a good choice of director, he's a big fan of the Spider-Man comics, created one of the biggest cult movies to come out of America and had a directing style that seemed perfect in bringing the Spider-Man comics to life.
    I was watching the cartoons recently and thinking back, Maguire didn't really feel right for the role. Although I agree that him as Peter Parker before being Spider-Man would have suited, but when Parker became Spider-Man, there is that coolness which oozes when you see Spider-Man that Maguire just can't show. Plus, the geekyness of Parker really changes when he becomes Spider-Man.

Topher Grace as Venom was also a poor pick tbh.

I was watching the cartoons recently and thinking back, Maguire didn't really feel right for the role. Although I agree that him as Peter Parker before being Spider-Man would have suited, but when Parker became Spider-Man, there is that coolness which oozes when you see Spider-Man that Maguire just can't show. Plus, the geekyness of Parker really changes when he becomes Spider-Man.

Topher Grace as Venom was also a poor pick tbh.
    Hm, I think it's important that they put their own interpretation on it as well. Also, as with every film, you know at the back of your mind that it's a stunt guy in that costume doing all the cool tricks and also computer generated special effects, but you try and maintain that it is Maguire's portrayal of Peter Parker behind the mask and that alone makes him ooze with cool.

Topher Grace was awful. Thomas Haden Church was also criminally underwritten, and he's a fantastic actor.

He is well learnt in the ways of the troll: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    That's for the heads up.

I saw the trailer on the big screen along with the trailers of True Grit and Black Swan. I nearly jizzed my pants.
    Other film podcasts worth mentioning are Creative Screenwriting (some of the best in-depth interviews with professionals you will ever hear - there was an episode a while back where they had Cameron and Apatow in one show and that is an excellent place to start) and The Hollywood Saloon (very sporadic, but it's an absolute joy when new podcasts are released; some of the cleverest people on cinema). Along with /film, those three are my holy trinity.

So jealous. Whenever I get trailers it's always for crappy movies. :sad: If I'm in the IMAX for Tron and out of their 1000-speaker setup the opening bars of "God'll cut you down" stout pounding out for True Grit I may actually squeal in delight.

(Original post by unknownking321)
    Don't know what to make of this.

How do you mean? It's pretty well established as a hoax. :p:

(Original post by aja89)
    Once you know that, and the fact that Michael Caine's character can fly, there's very little point watching the film.

The LOTR vs Harry Potter thread is :rofl:

Watching Rambo (2008).

Watching Rambo (2008).
    :awesome:

Feeling manly? Going to laser down a helicopter and hijack it Halo style?

ReputationRep:
    Just back from watching Tron:Legacy.

I absolutely loved it.

You should see it simply to marvel at the special effects and feel the soundtrack.
    I would also advise you to do everything in your power to get hold of a copy of the original because it'll enhance this film so much if you know the backstory. There is one line in particular that you simply won't appreciate enough if you haven't seen the first film.

It is the perfect sequel to the original Tron. The effects are as stunning as the originals were at the time and the story is just as lacking at times and the characters seem to share the same lack of emotion as the originals. The soundtrack is absolutely top notch and when mixed with the amazing 3D it just sucks you into the world of 'the Grid' the moment you enter it with Sam.

This is one of my favourite films of the year.

Also for those of you who like your stingers at the end of credits:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There isn't one so feel free to get up and leave :p:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.