Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for a teaching job... it takes quite a long time to do everything! I would be happy to even just gain the interview experience. I do like the school though.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The minute I finished my first placement, I felt myself getting a little ill, and incredibly tired. That evening I slept for eleven hours and woek up with a sore throat - so I thought no big deal, it's just my body catching up with me now I have a little breathing space. As it turns out, it got a lot worse and I was bed-ridden on Wednesday, and probably should have been for most of the week. I managed to drag myself into university when needed, but always came out feeling worse. Friday and Saturday were particularly bad, and I was unable to do much at all.

This would all be well and good if I didn't have a master's level essay (1 of only 2 all year due in on Wednesday! Thankfully I have made a good start on it, but now I'll be working right up until the wire!

I guess it could have been worse and happened on placement, but definitely not enjoying my time right now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Sorry to hear that. It does feel like we can work SO hard and then have nothing to show for it at times. What grade do you need to pass the course? I don't know if this is different for all unis.
    I think we need to get 'acceptable' or 'good' by the end of our final placement.

ReputationRep:
    I find it weird that people are still being forced to do a plenary at the end of the lesson! My uni did not recommend the three part lesson, nor comment on it anywhere in our assessment criteria; in lectures they recommended mini plenaries checking understanding throughout. I know Ofsted can't make judgements about teaching style any more other, as long as learning is shown. I guess he main issue with interviews is that you have to do SOMETHING at the end to show that there was learning.

It's probably also worth seeing if your union has any advice. I'm pretty sure I read an article about what schools should be doing to support teachers with overactive bladders in ATLs magazine.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. It does feel like we can work SO hard and then have nothing to show for it at times. What grade do you need to pass the course? I don't know if this is different for all unis.
    At mine there are three passes: excellent, good and standards met.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    The minute I finished my first placement, I felt myself getting a little ill, and incredibly tired. That evening I slept for eleven hours and woek up with a sore throat - so I thought no big deal, it's just my body catching up with me now I have a little breathing space. As it turns out, it got a lot worse and I was bed-ridden on Wednesday, and probably should have been for most of the week. I managed to drag myself into university when needed, but always came out feeling worse. Friday and Saturday were particularly bad, and I was unable to do much at all.

This would all be well and good if I didn't have a master's level essay (1 of only 2 all year due in on Wednesday! Thankfully I have made a good start on it, but now I'll be working right up until the wire!

I guess it could have been worse and happened on placement, but definitely not enjoying my time right now...
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell! It always seems to come at the worst time - essay or placement. But yes, like you said, I think it is better now than on placement.

Hope you progress well and you're not feeling too bad now.

(Original post by alabelle)
    I think we need to get 'acceptable' or 'good' by the end of our final placement.
    I see. Sounds similar to ours.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I find it weird that people are still being forced to do a plenary at the end of the lesson! My uni did not recommend the three part lesson, nor comment on it anywhere in our assessment criteria; in lectures they recommended mini plenaries checking understanding throughout. I know Ofsted can't make judgements about teaching style any more other, as long as learning is shown. I guess he main issue with interviews is that you have to do SOMETHING at the end to show that there was learning.

It's probably also worth seeing if your union has any advice. I'm pretty sure I read an article about what schools should be doing to support teachers with overactive bladders in ATLs magazine.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for this - I didn't really think about the union. I will contact them. That would have been an interesting article. Might have a search to see if I can find it.

(Original post by gemmam)
    At mine there are three passes: excellent, good and standards met.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds pretty much identical to mine, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    My school told me this was to do with Safeguarding. They have to know it wasn't because you were in prison or something. Be honest about where you were.
    Yes, that or you might have been fired and don't want to say.

They just feel that if there is a gap then it something you must be trying to cover up and keep quiet.

So I agree with Alabelle, just tell the truth. I am not sure you need to say the subject area or anything. If I were you I would just say 'I started a course at a different University that I didn't feel suited me. Then I started a new course which did'.
    Maybe don't put it on your CV as you would feel the need to give information. When they ask, say that. If they also ask why you didn't put it on your CV, say that you didn't think this information was relevent to applying for this position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm not an expert on that, I must confess, but having walked away from a career which was making me so unhappy I was nearly ill, with no future plans at all, I can only say it was the thing which saved me from a lot of misery.

I agree 100% with this! ^^^^

I was similar, I always wanted to teach PE. I lost my confidence and was given a 'fail' in a placement even though I passed as they wanted me to repeat in order to get my confidence back more for my 4th year of the QTS.

I was basically given a choice take a year out/ graduare later and continue or drop QTS. My tutor said in her email something that I think will always stay with me: "This my seem like the worst possible news in the world but I promise that this time next year you will think it is the best thing ever... you know what she was absolutely right!!

ReputationRep:
    So I visited a school prior to application for the first time today. It was amazing and just what I needed to motivate me and remind me why I'm on this course and what I hope to gain from it. 2 more visits coming up...hopefully I'll have some applications in and maybe even an interview soon! :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling with this interview lesson...It definitely doesn't help that I don't know enough about the topic having never studied it so I have no idea what I should be including.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I'm really struggling with this interview lesson...It definitely doesn't help that I don't know enough about the topic having never studied it so I have no idea what I should be including.
    Can you ask people in your placement schools for help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Can you ask people in your placement schools for help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only started placement 2 today and feel kinda awkward asking them for help with it! But I might just have to ask my mentor tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    So I started the teaching practice at my SE2 school and the teacher wants to check every lesson plan and to follow her plans. I'm having difficulties adjusting because in my first SE1 the teacher used to let me have a free reign on the planning, he would just tell me what he wanted me to teach.

In SE2 it is so different because the class teacher wants to check everything and I feel like this is limiting me.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think it's limiting you in my opinion as I'm on the exact same boat as you. My SE1 school didn't even bother checking for lesson plans except for observations. So I kind of had free reign for when it came to planning.

In my current SE2 school I have a mentor who wants lesson plans 72 hours in advance so that he could check it and provide feedback. It was a sudden shock to my system.

You must learn how to adapt. You are in SE2 now,and not SE1. Believe it or not, I like the mentor I have now as it feels like I'm improving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    I don't think it's limiting you in my opinion as I'm on the exact same boat as you. My SE1 school didn't even bother checking for lesson plans except for observations. So I kind of had free reign for when it came to planning.

In my current SE2 school I have a mentor who wants lesson plans 72 hours in advance so that he could check it and provide feedback. It was a sudden shock to my system.

You must learn how to adapt. You are in SE2 now,and not SE1. Believe it or not, I like the mentor I have now as it feels like I'm improving.
    It's funny because my first placement never looked at my lesson plans so I'm not used to it being normal. Hope my second placement don't look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)

I agree. I'm in the same position now. My mentor doesn't need to see them but offers to check them over for areas that could be a weakness. We then go over the lesson at the end and I get a bit of feedback so that's really really useful.

I'd definitely rather be pushed than coast alone like I did on placement 1. I'm not entirely sure they'd have noticed if I'd burst into flames mid-lesson.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's funny because my first placement never looked at my lesson plans so I'm not used to it being normal. Hope my second placement don't look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But how do you know if you're doing the right sort of thing or planning for the right sort of thing?

I'm incredibly glad now that my first placement requested my lesson plans 24 hours in advance - the detail in my lesson plans is now second nature. I can clearly show my differentiation and I also know what should be in a good lesson. Definitely a benefit going into my longer, second placement where my mentor trusts me to get on with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    But how do you know if you're doing the right sort of thing or planning for the right sort of thing?

I'm incredibly glad now that my first placement requested my lesson plans 24 hours in advance - the detail in my lesson plans is now second nature. I can clearly show my differentiation and I also know what should be in a good lesson. Definitely a benefit going into my longer, second placement where my mentor trusts me to get on with it!
    I guess I've always just assumed that if I did something wrong, then it would be brought up after the lesson, as I always had feedback. In terms of planning for the right sort of thing, I don't know how you can plan for the wrong sort of thing...if that makes sense. I just make sure every box of my lesson plan is filled in (which takes into account AfL and differentiation), and that I have a three step lesson the best I can. :dontknow:

I should mention I always had the option to show my lesson plans for feedback, I just never did, and they never made it compulsory. I like it that way, because I guess it is what I am used to. Besides, my lesson plans are almost illegible and I write outside all the boxes. I'd have to make it neat which would annoy me :ninja: . I've heard that at my next placement all my lessons apart from KS4 are planned for me, so I don't have to do lesson plans! Not sure if I will like that or not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm suppose to go into my placement tomorrow but I'm dreading it. I still don't know what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I'm suppose to go into my placement tomorrow but I'm dreading it. I still don't know what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll be ok. Go for the first week, see how it is. You can always leave if you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be ok. Go for the first week, see how it is. You can always leave if you hate it.
    Ive already started it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.