Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    Can't wait for the 'It's only the Carling Cup' comments.
    That's the response we'd get if we won

ReputationRep:
    Wow our win-lose record in the past 2 weeks or so most look so f'ed up

W - Barcelona
    D - Leyton Orient
    W - Stoke
    L - Birmingham

*You're right, just thinking to myself that we're losing against the most random sides

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Wow our win-lose record in the past 2 weeks or so most look so f'ed up

W - Barcelona
    L - Leyton Orient
    W - Stoke
    L - Birmingham
    Didn't lose against Leyton Orient
    Just though I'd pick that out

ReputationRep:
    Keep hope alive. Arsenal shall once again prevail and clear the dust in the trophy cabinet. Be strong Gunners. Have hope.
    In Wenger we believe.
    :headbang::arsenal:

ReputationRep:
    As soon as Obefami Martins came I knew we were ****ed ..had a bad feeling before the match started anyway. Hopefully this loss will further increase our hunger.

ReputationRep:
    The timing and personnel of the subs were wrong in my opinion. Though there is one person who I blame, my friend who said "Birmigham will struggle in extra-time, cause they're tired" seconds before the goal.

FA cup, probable tie versus MAN U at Old Trafford. Champions League, a trip to the Camp Nou. Meh. Only time will tell, but this game is another missed opportunity.

Bring on the Orient!

ReputationRep:
    Now all the WUM's are gone...

Our team lacked the determination in all honesty. Believe only Nasri, Wilshere and RVP put in everything they had. Sagna and Clichy also. What's worrying is that our drive was most lacking at the START of the game. I've always said Wenger wasn't the greatest motivator but do they really need that for a cup final considering none of them has ever won a trophy (basically). Song was very poor as a defensive mid I'd like to know how many tackles he made in that game. Rosicky as I said at HT isn't good enough to be our creative midfield. He was exceptionally poor. Not only was he bad going forward, he didn't even track back for the majority of the game which limited how much Jack could go forward (ruining the balance our midfield trio has had). We didn't pick up the runners from midfield throughout the game despite the fact we should have realised within 2 minutes when Bowyer(?) should have got a pen.

Arshavin played well, and I felt Wenger screwed up tactically (don't get me wrong here, I'm not calling for him to be sacked, he's a brilliant manager). Jack should have played in Cesc's role or Nasri should have. They're clearly the two most able to fill in. No idea why Arshavin was subbed off when he was actually driving forward and creating chances, Rosicky was clearly our worst player and yet he stayed on. We DON'T need to go and buy 1000 players as people seem to be suggesting. Frankly, Kos screwed up badly but he has been decent this season, it his only his first. We've sorely missed Vermaelan. In midfield we really need Ramsey back I think and Song needs to learn what his role is (as people have said since the start of the season).

We didn't deserve to win the game by a long stretch. We perhaps had 15 minutes on top. Cesc looked well...he almost looked as if he'd given up which is a REAL worry. Denilson was smiling at the end of that...he can **** off if that's how much he cares.

Somehow need to pick ourselves up again, we still have a great chance in the league here. I thought that we'd got past our over dependence on Cesc but clearly not. This isn't the end of our season but it sure would have been brilliant to win.

Wenger: 'Van Persie doesn't look good after the game'.
    Apparently it's knee ligaments which well frankly rules him out for the season. The annual end-of-Feb disaster story. This one tops them all purely due to how good our position truly is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)

Our team lacked the determination in all honesty. Believe only Nasri, Wilshere and RVP put in everything they had. Sagna and Clichy also. What's worrying is that our drive was most lacking at the START of the game. I've always said Wenger wasn't the greatest motivator but do they really need that for a cup final considering none of them has ever won a trophy (basically). Song was very poor as a defensive mid I'd like to know how many tackles he made in that game. Rosicky as I said at HT isn't good enough to be our creative midfield. He was exceptionally poor. Not only was he bad going forward, he didn't even track back for the majority of the game which limited how much Jack could go forward (ruining the balance our midfield trio has had). We didn't pick up the runners from midfield throughout the game despite the fact we should have realised within 2 minutes when Bowyer(?) should have got a pen.

Arshavin played well, and I felt Wenger screwed up tactically (don't get me wrong here, I'm not calling for him to be sacked, he's a brilliant manager). Jack should have played in Cesc's role or Nasri should have. They're clearly the two most able to fill in. No idea why Arshavin was subbed off when he was actually driving forward and creating chances, Rosicky was clearly our worst player and yet he stayed on. We DON'T need to go and buy 1000 players as people seem to be suggesting. Frankly, Kos screwed up badly but he has been decent this season, it his only his first. We've sorely missed Vermaelan. In midfield we really need Ramsey back I think and Song needs to learn what his role is (as people have said since the start of the season).

We didn't deserve to win the game by a long stretch. We perhaps had 15 minutes on top. Cesc looked well...he almost looked as if he'd given up which is a REAL worry. Denilson was smiling at the end of that...he can **** off if that's how much he cares.

Somehow need to pick ourselves up again, we still have a great chance in the league here. I thought that we'd got past our over dependence on Cesc but clearly not. This isn't the end of our season but it sure would have been brilliant to win.

Apparently it's knee ligaments which well frankly rules him out for the season. The annual end-of-Feb disaster story. This one tops them all purely due to how good our position truly is...
    Good summary of the game. Arshavin had an OK game it was evident though he has lost a yard of pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Southside Rider)
    hahahahaha
    looking through this gtfo :hand:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: You got a link?

Agree with what you've said about Song. He was on a decent run but for the past few games has been poor

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh sh*t is that true about Van Persie....? got Barca leg 2 in a few days :|

ReputationRep:
    cheer up fellow gunners...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaiyote)
    :facepalm2: You got a link?

Agree with what you've said about Song. He was on a decent run but for the past few games has been poor
    It was more from commentators/ random sources. Nothing's concrete but I heard he was struggling to walk to get his runners-up medal(?) My tv was off by then but still. Was Jack crying btw?

Wenger's post match interview:

"I wanted to end our wait for a trophy today. We got what we expected from Birmingham - they are a team who fight very hard and cause a lot of problems from long balls.

"Both teams gave everything. Congratulations to them - they got the trophy - but we have regrets with the way we conceded the (Martins) goal. What can you say? You have to be positive because he (Szczesny) is a young boy. He has to pick himself up from that goal and hopefully he can do that.''

The Gunners boss revealed Robin van Persie's knee injury could add to the club's woes.

Wenger added: "We are in good positions everywhere but we play so many games and we can't go on losing players.

"We lost Cesc Fabregas in the week and now Robin van Persie is not in good shape after this game. It's a knee problem - we will have to assess it tomorrow.''
    So I guess we'll hear tomorrow but that definitely doesn't sound promising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsene Wenger)
    on the late goal...
    I am bitterly disappointed, like the whole team. We had some problems to start the game, the number of games we played caught up a little bit on us. It took us a while to get into the rhythm and pace of the game. In the second half we were on top, unfortunately we couldn’t score the second goal and, in the end, we made a mistake that left us no time at all to respond. We were preparing to play extra time.

on Birmingham...
    Congratulations to Birmingham, they took advantage of the mistake [and] they took the trophy which hurts us tremendously. We have to be proud of our attitude, continue with our belief, pick ourselves up and face the other challenges we have. The team is very disappointed and we will face a lot of questions after that mistake tonight but we have to be strong enough to stand up. It is a good opportunity to show that we have the mental strength to respond to the situation like that.

on his view of the winner…
    It was a lack of communication, determination a little bit as well. Like always, when the ball is in no-man's land, someone has to take responsibility and go for it. What was amazing [was that] no-one was going for the ball from Birmingham.

on the mood in the dressing room…
    Both of them [Koscielny and Szczesny] are destroyed. I don’t think it’s a good moment for me to add anything. We have to lift them up again and help them, that is what a team is about. That is part of the game, we had enough chances to kill the game off before. They could only be dangerous, in the end, on free kicks. Maybe we were a bit nervous on it as well.

on the penalty shout in the second minute...
    I didn't feel that [Szczesny was lucky to stay on], I felt it was offside.

on how much defeat will affect his squad...
    Exactly [it could affect us], we don't deny that. It is a massive disappointment for the team but we have massive challenges in front of us - the Carling Cup is four games, five games but a championship season is 38. We will not throw 38 games away because of one game.

on picking themselves up...
    I am confident we have the character and this is a good opportunity to show it.

on Van Persie's injury...
    He has a knee problem. Yes [he did it in scoring].

on the importance of the Carling Cup...
    We came here today to win the game, we didn't want to lose the game. In the last 18 games we lost one at Ipswich in the first leg of the Carling Cup [Semi-Final] and we lost today in the last minute on a very special goal. What the team is overall achieving is absolutely tremendous - that's why we go for every single game to win it. We are on such a long run that it is difficult to take because we are used to winning.

on losing players to injury...
    What is difficult for us to take at the moment is that we lose too many players. We lost Walcott and Fabregas on Wednesday. Birmingham played their reserve team against Sheffield Wednesday and they started stronger than us until we got into the pace of the game. Physically we had a disadvantage because of the repetition of the games we play.

on making defensive errors...
    Making mistakes is not positive, of course.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...enger-reaction

It is a worry about Van Persie but hopefully he'll be alright. Kos needs to pick himself up and I'm happy that Wenger has got the team behind him to do just that. There's a lot of football to be played and this team can go far.

ReputationRep:

RVP :banghead:, happens every season, if there was only a cure.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunghamz)
    I sure as hell hope its not knee ligament damage. I was hoping that he would come straight after the goal rather than aggravating it, which is what seems to have happend.

I really hope he isnt injured though, he is the butter on our toast, the chocolate on our spread, the alu in our keema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunghamz)
    Injury-Be-Gone, to be invented by Richard Branson probably. For all injury prone premier league footballers, Walcott and Van persie to take it first

ReputationRep:
    if rvp is injured, we are in trouble, relying on bendtner and chamakh for goals........

theres no words for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Ohhh sh*t is that true about Van Persie....? got Barca leg 2 in a few days :|
    Sunderland before that, which is more important.

It was more from commentators/ random sources. Nothing's concrete but I heard he was struggling to walk to get his runners-up medal(?) My tv was off by then but still. Was Jack crying btw?

So I guess we'll hear tomorrow but that definitely doesn't sound promising.
    It doesn't sound promising fingers crossed it's only days/few weeks and not months
    I was watching until the end I don't think Wilshere was crying but he did look gutted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaiyote)
    Sunderland before that, which is more important.

It doesn't sound promising fingers crossed it's only days/few weeks and not months
    I was watching until the end I don't think Wilshere was crying but he did look gutted.
    I don't blame him. In future in games without fabregas, I would like it if Wilshere played higher up the pitch. He has the ability to dictate play and I would like to see him utilised as such.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.