Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the UKCAT cut off points are usually lower for dentistry than medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Anyone need any tips, just ask I'll be on for the next few hours!
    My test is on the 27th, any way I can really improve my VR? Just by continuing the questions? DO you suggest reading something else as well?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a lot of you guys have it tomorrow. Good luck to all.

I haven't sat it yet but my advice as to what I would do is practice some AR (maybe 50 questions) and go over your notes if you made any.

I would use the Decision Analysis break as a toilet break and to write down any mnemonics etc. When I say toilet break, for me it would be washing my face with water and waking myself up even more

Best of luck and DO NOT PANIC. Pls remember your ID too guys -_-. Heard of ppl forgetting it.

Nuba123 good luck (having seen you on so many higher threads last year)

ReputationRep:
    You guys should enter your results on the TSR poll for UKCAT 2017 so ppl can make estimates of averages (like they have been doing for so long)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    My test is on the 27th, any way I can really improve my VR? Just by continuing the questions? DO you suggest reading something else as well?

Thanks!
    Yep, practice practice practice! Don't worry about it though, everyone struggles on VR Read on your way to school, read on the way home, read the newspaper in the morning and read books at lunch. If you work hard, you'll do great - don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archie2004)
    Does anyone know if the UKCAT cut off points are usually lower for dentistry than medicine?
    I think they usually are

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, super important:

YOU NEED ID ON THE DAY
    DO NOT FORGET!
    CHECK ON THE UKCAT WEBSITE FOR IDs THAT THEY ACCEPT
    GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Seems like a lot of you guys have it tomorrow. Good luck to all.

I haven't sat it yet but my advice as to what I would do is practice some AR (maybe 50 questions) and go over your notes if you made any.

I would use the Decision Analysis break as a toilet break and to write down any mnemonics etc. When I say toilet break, for me it would be washing my face with water and waking myself up even more

Best of luck and DO NOT PANIC. Pls remember your ID too guys -_-. Heard of ppl forgetting it.

Nuba123 good luck (having seen you on so many higher threads last year)
    Thanks for the @! I know right I'm literally everywhere... Good luck for yours too! Honestly you're not going to need it you seem like the prepared and constantly motivated type - unlike myself.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, super important:

YOU NEED ID ON THE DAY
    DO NOT FORGET!
    CHECK ON THE UKCAT WEBSITE FOR IDs THAT THEY ACCEPT
    GOOD LUCK!
    is just taking a passport enough or do they need more id?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Thank you! I hope you do really well! Gosh this whole process is a bit much isn't it? Wish I could do something else but I can't see myself doing anything else. Honestly, I just love people. That's so weird when I say it but that's the highlight of the whole thing - helping people when they need it most. Just being there when they need someone to trust. x Also, old people are the best. I'm just rambling now...
    haha ... yehh i know i wanna be a doc so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    is just taking a passport enough or do they need more id?
    All the info is here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/test-day

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    All the info is here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/test-day

Best of luck
    thank you so much! can you please give me some advice on VR and AR?? for vr i just can't digest the info quick enough and for ar find it hard to spot the patterns quickly too*

ReputationRep:
    I should probably go practise some AR now... But I just want to stay on tsr... lol what's the best mnemonic for AR - that ACTUALLY helped you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    thank you so much! can you please give me some advice on VR and AR?? for vr i just can't digest the info quick enough and for ar find it hard to spot the patterns quickly too*
    Don't worry, everyone feels the same For VR:
    Identify keywords and scan. For the harder type 2 questions (What is the author most likely to agree with? etc.) just flag and skip. Come back to them later! Whenever you can, practice speed reading - whether its on the way to school, at lunch times, in the morning or on the way home.
    For AR, practice makes perfect. What i did was i wrote down every pattern i didn't find on an A3 sheet. Every morning and evening i would read off them out loud so they were embedded in my brain. By the time the exam came around, i just kinda saw the patterns. Do as many AR practice questions as you can, and you will eventually see every possible pattern!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I should probably go practise some AR now... But I just want to stay on tsr... lol what's the best mnemonic for AR - that ACTUALLY helped you?
    NPSC and SCANS work equally well

ReputationRep:
    NPSC and SCANS work equally well
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474227045.282454.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  109.1 KB This pattern finished me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474227045.282454.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  109.1 KB This pattern finished me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is that 👀👀 why do they do this to us tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    I NEED QR HELP! I am soooo bad at mental maths and i need to speed up the rate at which i answer questions as the rate is letting me down
    Should i just practice using the calc or would u recommend that i get into the habit of answering without a calc and do it mentally?
    please help i have my exam on the 4th and QR is my weakest section
    I used the calc, alt+C, for all my questions and got 830, what i did was write my working out so I didnt get stressed if i pressed the wrong button, I did not use mental maths at all

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the @! I know right I'm literally everywhere... Good luck for yours too! Honestly you're not going to need it you seem like the prepared and constantly motivated type - unlike myself.
    I need it so bad! Been preparing 2 months and I struggle to break 550 in the official mocks. How rubbish is that!?!?!?!?!?!?!/1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.