Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lingard has no place in a squad of uniteds stature. although he is a perfect squad player now since you lot are ****.

I refer to chelsea in 2015 because the exact same thing is happening here and how a simple change in manager has done wonders.

You cant keep hiring and firing but getting a guy whos known for implosions and crap football was never going to be a great fit. I think give him a season unless you're a point above relegation at xmas and write off this season like Liverpool did last season to focus on the cups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)

Disagree that Lingard and Blind aren't good enough, I'm pretty sure you said once you used to play football to a fairly decent standard. I thought someone who played ball would appreciate good footballers when they see them. Lingard isn't first 11 week in, week out quality, but he has a place in this squad.

Smalling I would usually defend but I just look at him everytime we concede and he just looks like he's confused. Not sure he has the mentality. He certainly has the ability.
    Tbh I think the mentality of most of our players is a big problem. Smalling certainly doesn't have that killer mentality. Blind also doesn't have the mentality (though he has the ability), I wouldn't want him starting week in week out. Lingard doesn't have the ability but has the United mentality IMO, but like you said he should be fine as fringe player if we had a great starting XI. I think too many of our players are too comfortable on the high wages and aren't really playing with 100% of all they have. It takes the right mentality to succeed at a huge club like United and I feel that players like Rojo, Blind, Young, Darmian, Smalling etc would be content with top 4 every season and a fat wage check.

ReputationRep:
    And then what? Who do we hire then?

We can't keep going through manager, after manager. It clearly isn't working. Our problem is that we've thrown money at the club and brought in mediocrity. I would say since Fergie left the good players we have signed are

Mata, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Martial, Schneiderlin (although he's not shown his quality), Di Maria (but LVG thought Ashley Young was better).

All of Mourinho's signings are quality. Zlatan has missed a few sitters but you can't doubt his qualities. The chances he has missed is not down to his age, you don't forget how to play football just because you get older (unless you are Wayne Rooney
    First priority is dont make it worse, if that means rolling with someone like Hiddink as a tempory option then so be it. There are a couple of managers I like the look of, explicitly Tuchel, Sampaoli and Montella but I dont really care about the name, what I care about is the prospective candidate providing a clear message about what he wants and how he is going to deliver it. That comes down to the board though and as I said, I dont have faith that they can make the right call...

I agree with you about the LVG revionism, its not unexpected but still a bit wierd.

Mourinho only has himself to blame, if he wants the criticism to stop then he has to start making better decisions.

As for Lingard, he should have been at this level 4 years ago, much like most of the youth players in England he stagnated for 5 or 6 years, not playing games at a high enough level and now, unsuprisingly he is distinctly average with little room for improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    The LVG revisionism in this thread is unreal. Considering I spend much of his tenure defending him and his decision in this thread I well remember.

The worrying thing about Jose is how he's reacting to problems, and how he's dealing with the media. This thread being case in point he's making a difficult situation seem like a crisis, and putting his own position in danger by giving off the impression he's not in control. City have had a poor run of late too but Pep never started pointing the fingers like there was a problem. Flat out refusal to say he would change anything after losing to us. Jose is pointing fingers right away. The finger point is the admission of a problem, and when it happens more than once its admitting you can't fix the problem.

Yesterday we go a goal behind to a wondergoal. It happens and should have zero impact on your approach to the game. Jose, our defensive manager ends up playing 4 strikers and effectively 2 AM's? If you are Fenebache sitting on a one goal lead which type of set up would you fancy countering against? Bottom line is he choked. Same thing he did against Chelsea with the set up, and tbh had we conceded same thing we would be saying against Liverpool.

The most worrying thing, isn't the squad or even how the team is playing, it the fact our manager doesn't seem to have confidence in himself. He's choked under pressure at almost all turns this season, and now the pressure is on from here on out.

His inability to play a balance squad for 90 mins without second guessing himself or the team is really worrying.
    http://www.theunitedpages.com/why-firemanmou/
    Might not be 100% trustworthy but this stuff is more likely to be true than not.

Summary:

The squad is rotten and there's not a manager in the world right now who has a chance of succeeding until the squad has been weeded out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Get Mourinho out of the club now, he is bringing down the reputation down massively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    http://www.theunitedpages.com/why-firemanmou/
    Might not be 100% trustworthy but this stuff is more likely to be true than not.

Summary:

The squad is rotten and there's not a manager in the world right now who has a chance of succeeding until the squad has been weeded out.
    Weeding out the squad has been done for over 3 seasons and peps treatment of city players(yaya and hart) shows that isnt a problem. remember they pretty much were in the same situation in terms of team strength and barely got above you in the league.

The attitude of city players in the league was terrible too and the likes of toure and hart had too much power in the club despite them being below their previous levels.

they're dipping in form but they're still looking good for at least top 4 and have got back on track with two big wins yet you lot have dipped in form and are looking good for top 10.

ReputationRep:
    Also one thing to remember is that this is a very tough unforgiving league and turkey away is a very hard fixture.

The issue for me is that with the selection of players available you dont actually need a lot of changes in the first 11 when fit. You need a cb and rb possibly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the squad is that much of a problem. Very few squad have an ideal set up, and when you look at the number of fudges Jose employed during his title winning season at Chelsea, I don't think the problems are something he cannot work around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    I don't think the squad is that much of a problem. Very few squad have an ideal set up, and when you look at the number of fudges Jose employed during his title winning season at Chelsea, I don't think the problems are something he cannot work around.
    Exactly, it would help having a balanced first xi. In your opinion, with the selection of players jose has available what do you think he should do for now? do you think his initial approach to games work but he struggles to adapt or vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    think key members of the squad have lost their valance.

SA-1 thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    I actually might just become a Man City fan... This is just absolute dogshit.... If you can't bet them, join them?

smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Because I come here delusionally trying to pretend that everything is fine you are questioning my status as a Man Utd fan.

If I am allowed my opinion, the football is as bad if not worse than last year, the players are continuously not performing anywhere near the level they are capable of and already the club has Mourinho's entirely toxic atmosphere surrounding it. The sooner Mourinho pisses off the better.
    I was genuinely wondering if you're a fan because i've not seen your posts before, I wasn't questioning your "status" as a fan

You're entitled to your opinion I guess I think you're being too quick to judge, LVG and Moyes were given much more time before fans got angry and just because you dislike Jose from before you're jumping at the first sight of trouble. Again im not questioning whether you're a fan but just saying you should take your anti-Jose glasses off for a while and give the manger some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    think key members of the squad have lost their valance.

SA-1 thoughts
    I just don't know anymore, Swirly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Exactly, it would help having a balanced first xi. In your opinion, with the selection of players jose has available what do you think he should do for now? do you think his initial approach to games work but he struggles to adapt or vice versa?
    If you at us as a team when we score early compared to us when we are coming from behind or chasing games the difference is marked. Its a bit of both in the smaller games I think he's setting up fairly well but the reaction he's making to problems is wrong. His ego is a problem because his reaction to big games and the media is unnecessary and seeing as it is causing problems is inexcusable. Basically if you look at this season, could you point to a moment where Jose has tactically turned a game around? His in game management has been really poor, and has either been ineffective or negative.

I'm not really buying so much into this crisis talk. The underlying stats of LVG's reign were inescapable. The underlying right now are not hugely problematic. We're not some sleeping giant but we're a few result off the top 4. We're getting good possession, we've not go set piece problems, we're shooting well, we're creating chances and for the right players in the right places. As Rafa would say, those are facts. The whole identity thing is just flavour of the week when you have very specific sides in Europe right now, pressing is just the new possession. Plenty of good sides in Europe right now not playing as clearly defined football as say a Klopp side. What matters is effective football, and we are playing fairly effective football right now.

Some of Jose's decisions, more outside of games has been decent. Dropping Rooney, moving Mata central, moving away from Fellaini, getting Herrera in the side. Overall his squad management hasn't been horrendous. Its more his management of games and his ability to look at the problems in game and fix them is an issue. His choices at 0-0, our early approach to games, and his game changing substitutions have all lose us a lot of points this season. The

I guess, tldr:

I don't think we are far away from being fine, but the way Jose is reacting to events or in bigger games pre-empting and reacting is just 100% negative. I think the pressure is getting to him and his decision making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    I just don't know anymore, Swirly.
    I haven't known since like 2010 tbh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Disagree that Lingard and Blind aren't good enough, I'm pretty sure you said once you used to play football to a fairly decent standard. I thought someone who played ball would appreciate good footballers when they see them. Lingard isn't first 11 week in, week out quality, but he has a place in this squad.

Smalling I would usually defend but I just look at him everytime we concede and he just looks like he's confused. Not sure he has the mentality. He certainly has the ability.
    What position are we talking here? As a Left Back he is absolutely fine, and should probably be in the team ahead of Shaw at the moment, however as a Centre Back he would not get into another Premier League team.

Lingard is not good enough to be starting as many games as he is currently doing. I'd have him as an option on the bench, but not a an automatic first choice ahead of more proven wingers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    What position are we talking here? As a Left Back he is absolutely fine, and should probably be in the team ahead of Shaw at the moment, however as a Centre Back he would not get into another Premier League team.
    What are you basing this on?

Because pundits keep banging on about him lacking pace and strength?

He's fine at CB, he's handled some of the leagues top strikers with ease. Even Vidic got exposed at times, remember him against Torres.

I'd much prefer to see him at CDM like. He'd really shine there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    Yeah it was me that said that. Completely agree with the machine staying the same. I really don't see how sacking Mourinho and appointing another manager will solve things.
    Would never have been a problem if we had appointed Giggs from the start tbh

ReputationRep:
    Remember when we used to look forward to United games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Remember when we used to look forward to United games.
    I look forward to united games. I like watching you lot the most after my team.

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Would never have been a problem if we had appointed Giggs from the start tbh
    Yh look at zidane

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 17, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.