Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Interview tomorrow... should I be honest if it comes up about my preparation for the lesson in that I have never studied the topic before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Interview tomorrow... should I be honest if it comes up about my preparation for the lesson in that I have never studied the topic before...
    Good luck!! Interesting question... I personally wouldn't volunteer that information, although someone else might have some better advice. And I guess they asked me specifically about that I'd admit it, yes, but it shouldn't be noticeable of course.

I would bet all teachers have to teach topics they have never studied before at times. This is harder for us in our PGCE year, but they know it happens. (I haven't studied anything to do with my PGCE subject!!)

Let us know how it goes! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest if you're asked, be put a positive spin on it.

Say about how you haven't formally studied the area so to prepare you did research, asked this person etc. Things will always come up and syllabi will change, so you need to be able to learn new topics. Being proactive about this is a plus point not a negative.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Good luck!! Interesting question... I personally wouldn't volunteer that information, although someone else might have some better advice. And I guess they asked me specifically about that I'd admit it, yes, but it shouldn't be noticeable of course.

I would bet all teachers have to teach topics they have never studied before at times. This is harder for us in our PGCE year, but they know it happens. (I haven't studied anything to do with my PGCE subject!!)

Let us know how it goes! Good luck.
    I didn't know if it was a total faux-pas or not! It's been really hard to plan this lesson purely because I had no prior knowledge (this is the only area in the NC where I had a gap in my subject knowledge, and I didn't need to know it for my first placement!) and thus, didn't know what I should be denoting significance to D:

I feel a bit anxious because I think I might be the only person interviewing tomorrow... The vacancy hasn't been advertised so it is possible that there might be other people there who were in the same position as me (interviewed for a job but wasn't appointed and in turn personally recommended by the head) so I'm really hoping I can impress them!

Thank you !

I'll update tomorrow, interviews are damn nerve wracking!

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview, really unsure how it went!

I feel like it went well, but, there was an internal candidate (trainee completing her placement there) sO i feel like it'll probably go to her over me

But I'll find out either tonight or tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview, really unsure how it went!

I feel like it went well, but, there was an internal candidate (trainee completing her placement there) sO i feel like it'll probably go to her over me

But I'll find out either tonight or tomorrow...
    Oh, I will be interested to hear how you get on, because when a trainee on placement applies, I always wonder if that means they are certain to get it or not. Just to give you a bit of hope though, someone on my course recently got an interview at their placement school and they didn't get it. Awkward... :lol: .

But I'm glad you feel it went well. Let us know, of course!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I will be interested to hear how you get on, because when a trainee on placement applies, I always wonder if that means they are certain to get it or not. Just to give you a bit of hope though, someone on my course recently got an interview at their placement school and they didn't get it. Awkward... :lol: .

But I'm glad you feel it went well. Let us know, of course!
    Aye, i'm curious to find out :') there were only the two of us interviewing today. But I can see myself being someone that has to go through 5/6 interviews before getting a job!

It was quite intimidating interviewing with her though because she obviously knew the school/department/staff etc

ReputationRep:
    I GOT THE JOB! So happy and shocked at the moment.

Contract starts on July 1st.

I can't believe it!

ReputationRep:

I can't believe it!
    Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I can't believe it!
    Congratulations! I haven't even started applying yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I can't believe it!
    Congratulations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I can't believe it!
    Ahhhh! Well done! So pleased for you. It has also made me more hopeful for applying for jobs at schools with a trainee.

Here I am only applied for one job :ninja: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Congratulations! I haven't even started applying yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by gemmam)
    Congratulations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh! Well done! So pleased for you. It has also made me more hopeful for applying for jobs at schools with a trainee.

Here I am only applied for one job :ninja: .
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even properly apply for this job... I applied for one two weeks ago and wasn't quite right for the role, but, the head really liked me and personally recommended me for this vacancy (which hadn't been advertised) and sent over the application/CV that I used for the first school...

Just thrilled to not have to worry about jobs for next year and now I can just focus purely on my second placement!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what other jobs an FE PGCE might be useful for? My hours are sorted now (in pretty much full time after half term for 4 weeks so should get the bulk of my 100 in) and I've been told that we only pass/fail on our final observation so I'm feeling a bit better now.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what other jobs an FE PGCE might be useful for? My hours are sorted now (in pretty much full time after half term for 4 weeks so should get the bulk of my 100 in) and I've been told that we only pass/fail on our final observation so I'm feeling a bit better now.
    That's good news. Why are you asking about other jobs then? Do you still not want to go into teaching?

I had a friend who did an FE PGCE and she ended up getting a pastoral/support style role at a college. Money isn't great, but she seems to enjoy it. That is my back up plan too, as I don't think I want to teach anymore.

ReputationRep:

I can't believe it!
    Congratulations!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I can't believe it!
    OMG congratulations! :banana::hugs:

My parent volunteer was SO RUDE to me today. I was actually pretty shocked. I asked her if she would mind sticking something into jotters for me (which she does for the class teacher!) and she snapped at me and said she was here to help the children, not a student (here she rolled her eyes at me!).

I went all icy and said she would be helping the children by doing that

ReputationRep:
    That's good news. Why are you asking about other jobs then? Do you still not want to go into teaching?

I had a friend who did an FE PGCE and she ended up getting a pastoral/support style role at a college. Money isn't great, but she seems to enjoy it. That is my back up plan too, as I don't think I want to teach anymore.
    I would still like to work in education but I'm not sure about being a teacher (I don't think have enough experience yet to apply for a teaching job starting in September either). I worked as a learning mentor before I started my degree and have a qualification in that already so maybe I could look into something like that and I have been thinking of applying for Explore Learning too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    OMG congratulations! :banana::hugs:

My parent volunteer was SO RUDE to me today. I was actually pretty shocked. I asked her if she would mind sticking something into jotters for me (which she does for the class teacher!) and she snapped at me and said she was here to help the children, not a student (here she rolled her eyes at me!).

I went all icy and said she would be helping the children by doing that
    That is really rude! What is a parent volunteer? I've never heard of one. I'm assuming this is primary.

I would still like to work in education but I'm not sure about being a teacher (I don't think have enough experience yet to apply for a teaching job starting in September either). I worked as a learning mentor before I started my degree and have a qualification in that already so maybe I could look into something like that and I have been thinking of applying for Explore Learning too.
    Oh yeah, if you have that experience then you should be fine. Maybe you will change your mind about teaching once you've done some more.

ReputationRep:
    That is really rude! What is a parent volunteer? I've never heard of one. I'm assuming this is primary.

Oh yeah, if you have that experience then you should be fine. Maybe you will change your mind about teaching once you've done some more.
    Maybe but I'd have to apply for ones starting after September if I change my mind; doubt I'll be able to pass an interview currently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.