Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Fulham, West Ham, Palace, QPR are just like any other game tbh. Only Spurs/Chelsea can be classed as pure derby matches and if anything it helps that we have so little to travel when other clubs need to come all the way to London every month. I guess sometimes West Ham can get a bit spicy but most WHU fans I've spoken to have nothing against Arsenal.

Tony Adams is a great guy and an Arsenal legend, but he's a bit light between the ears. There's a reason his coaching career was a disaster.
    To be fair, I think he was talking about the Graham era, when any derby was tense, probably more because of the way we played than anything else. I mean, there's a reason why Tony's nose faces the opposite way he's walking.

I've heard that from a few people, actually. A mate of mine met and talked to him at a charity event and he described him as a fruitcake. And, I might be completely imagining this, but I swear I've read or heard Tony mentioning something about West Ham fans always giving him quite a bit of **** during his playing career, beyond the boundaries of banter. I'm probably wrong, though. It is his boyhood club, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Im sorry if my argument came across as if I worship Wenger or follow him blindly. That is not the case at all. Looking at it completely objectively, I will agree to some extent with you in that I think he has made some poor decisions and has got us in some horrible situations but the argument you present just greatly exaggerates his involvement. If we didn't win any trophies its the fault of the players and the board as much as it is the managers. You can't on the one hand talk about avoiding oversimplification and then say place all the blame on Wenger. Losing to Bradford and Birmingham in my opinion has to do with the players more than the manager. There is only so much a manager can do in that situation. As for our league position, again it comes down to the players- they are all very capable but lacked confidence especially last season and when they finally had self-belief it was too late. Again you can point the finger at Wenger for this and it is his up to him to a certain extent but we have done well enough and there will always be if's and but's.
    Yeah but I am not saying hes done a bad job just that he hasn't done the amazing job everyone makes out, thats all. Bradford and Birmingham have nothing to do with any of my arguments either. Talking about whether you blame the players or him you are right but a lot of it comes down to the fact it is the managers responsibility to motivate the players and make them perform

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    But, he's always been quite brutal on our youths- similar to what is happening now in fact. Except for playing them in LC, we haven't really used them much apart from Wilshere, Walcott, Gibbs, Sczc. We have a poor turnover of youths appearing in our teams.

Justin Hoyte is an example that comes to mind- he was pretty much a steadfast member of our team at and was pretty good value of money imo but when still went out to buy Sagna. He pretty much gave up on Flamini until Gilberto decided to play in Copa America.

Wenger doesn't scream to me someone that's conceited enough to want to vindicated by anyone. Unless we're talking about unproven players from nowhere tat's something else.

You're digressing here jam.
    I guess so. I still think money isn't an excuse for that season. It's a good excuse for why you haven't consistently won the title and won trophies over the likes of united/city/chelsea but it isn't an excuse for that 10/11 season. Plus he did put in serious bids for players like reina/alonso etc. and I think he tried schweinsteigger at one point so it's not like he didn't have the money just that he pulled out of the deals or probably haggled over a couple million/stubborn.

Tbh the 10/11 side just needed the signings like podolski/giroud/santi and you would have got the title as you would have definitely had a stronger squad than united/chelsea that season who were both atrocious tbh. Anyway we'll see how it is now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Its funny how when you question Wenger people always get patronising about it (sevchenko saying I dont understand the importance of the CL when I fully do and you banging on about Mancini to me as if he is my managerial idol and I don't really get it when I think hes a **** manager and have said so elsewhere) it is as if you have just dissed their nan, I think people get too emotional about it to look at it objectively

As I said go back and look at the whole argument you will see why I disagree with that narrative, it makes a nice sound bite when Gary Neville starts going on about it on Sky but it oversimplifies everything. I think you can either accept that narrative and hail Wenger as some miracle worker which most people will because hes a good bloke and hes our guy and we all love and respect him o you can look at the last few years more closely and realise thats not quite the case which is what I do.
    Well, like I said wenger now has nowhere to hide if he fails as he has the revenue. So if we see good enough progress I'd say he's done a good job seeing arsenal through such a tough period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I've heard that from a few people, actually. A mate of mine met and talked to him at a charity event and he described him as a fruitcake. And, I might be completely imagining this, but I swear I've read or heard Tony mentioning something about West Ham fans always giving him quite a bit of **** during his playing career, beyond the boundaries of banter. I'm probably wrong, though. It is his boyhood club, after all.
    Yeah fruitcake is probably not far off from what I've heard. I heard Paul Merson talking pretty dismissively about how TA reckons he;s some sort of guru btw a few months back and they were very best mates. Adams went from a guy who's life revolved around playing football and going out on the drink with his mates and now he has neither. He's tried to learn French and play the piano and that but its not really him is it, and he's basically forcing himself every day to be someone he's not. He lives out on some mansion in the country and does seem to talk in pseudo-intellectual gibberish now and it just doesnt suit him. My dad wasnt exactly mates with him but he'd see him around the same pubs alot and he couldnt speak more highly of him as a person(or Niall Quinn). He's helped lots recover from addiction as well so I wouldnt be too harsh on him.

I dont see why we dont give him a role at Arsenal as a coach or something, because he'd love to have Arsenal back in his life rather than talking nonsense all the time I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fruitcake is probably not far off from what I've heard. I heard Paul Merson talking pretty dismissively about how TA reckons he;s some sort of guru btw a few months back and they were very best mates. Adams went from a guy who's life revolved around playing football and going out on the drink with his mates and now he has neither. He's tried to learn French and play the piano and that but its not really him is it, and he's basically forcing himself every day to be someone he's not. He lives out on some mansion in the country and does seem to talk in pseudo-intellectual gibberish now and it just doesnt suit him. My dad wasnt exactly mates with him but he'd see him around the same pubs alot and he couldnt speak more highly of him as a person(or Niall Quinn). He's helped lots recover from addiction as well so I wouldnt be too harsh on him.

I dont see why we dont give him a role at Arsenal as a coach or something, because he'd love to have Arsenal back in his life rather than talking nonsense all the time I think.
    That's the problem about being a footballer, it must be pretty hard being out of the game when it's such an emotionally and physically investing sport. Fergie must be bored already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That's the problem about being a footballer, it must be pretty hard being out of the game when it's such an emotionally and physically investing sport. Fergie must be bored already.
    Nah Fergie's got plenty of interests. He's a film fanatic apparently, goes horse racing regularly, reads alot of history books and even is into cooking etc. Plus he still has a role at Utd.

TA from the age of 16 had two hobbies, football and drinking and almost nothing else. He's not the brightest either so forcing himself into intellectual things like he has wont do it either. Not feeling too sorry for him as he's loaded but its no surprise he's turned into a bit of a fruitcake since he retired.

ReputationRep:
    Nah Fergie's got plenty of interests. He's a film fanatic apparently, goes horse racing regularly, reads alot of history books and even is into cooking etc. Plus he still has a role at Utd.

TA from the age of 16 had two hobbies, football and drinking and almost nothing else. He's not the brightest either so forcing himself into intellectual things like he has wont do it either. Not feeling too sorry for him as he's loaded but its no surprise he's turned into a bit of a fruitcake since he retired.
    My brother was telling me how fergie owes a couple million due to horse bets, he met him during the chester races and tried to get him to bet with his company haha but he failed.

Sad man, that's why I think barca do it great with la masia, they give the players a good education while allowing them to become great football players so at least they've got something to fall back on. Think they need to give people an education so they at least can do something else in their life other than football (see michael johnson for man city)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    My brother was telling me how fergie owes a couple million due to horse bets, he met him during the chester races and tried to get him to bet with his company haha but he failed.

Sad man, that's why I think barca do it great with la masia, they give the players a good education while allowing them to become great football players so at least they've got something to fall back on. Think they need to give people an education so they at least can do something else in their life other than football (see michael johnson for man city)
    If a football player is not clocked enough to be able to follow a football career and do okay in his GCSEs then you can't blame the clubs

ReputationRep:
    I really hope this dragged out higuain BS doesn't distract us from our important midfield and goalkeeper targets and force us to rush them at the end of the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    I really hope this dragged out higuain BS doesn't distract us from our important midfield and goalkeeper targets and force us to rush them at the end of the window.
    Spokesman of the AST Tim Payton tweeted 'Suspect Arsenal happy with obsessive focus solely on Higuain. Allowing them to pursue some other exciting targets under the radar'

ReputationRep:
    Wow is Higuain having like 5 medicals or something?

ReputationRep:
    Higuain will be at Movida tonight.

ReputationRep:
    All these Higuain medical rumours are as bad as the M'Villa ones! Just kick back relax and wait till Arsenal.com announces it, what ive learned to do with us regarding signings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    Higuain will be at Movida tonight.
    He'll be in the Garage on Holloway Road. Keeping it locked for N5 mate. :awesome:

Chamakh will probably be at Movida though making it rain and that...

ReputationRep:
    Who do you guys wanna see in an arsenal shirt best season? (Realistically)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalForLife)
    Who do you guys wanna see in an arsenal shirt best season? (Realistically)
    Name:  Arsenal Linup.png
Views: 124
Size:  368.7 KB

All new players there are very signable. The hardest signing would be Rooney that's until he hands in a transfer request. I expect another 4th choice CB to be brought in also.

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR=#FA4C00"]testing[/COLOR]

testing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Name:  Arsenal Linup.png
Views: 124
Size:  368.7 KB

All new players there are very signable. The hardest signing would be Rooney that's until he hands in a transfer request. I expect another 4th choice CB to be brought in also.
    Only one that looks close is Higuain and even then there are doubts. I don't think we'll be signing Rooney either, that just isn't Wenger's way of doing things and I have big doubts as to whether there will be another transfer between Arsenal and United in the near future. RVP was a unique situation, a one of . Fellaini would improve the team and give us a much needed physical presence in midfield so I guess there is a chance we'll move for him.

Regarding Cesar once again when thinking about signing him from Wenger's point of view, I just don't think he'd sign a 33 year old keeper who would not only be a short-term fix but this guy would hamper Chesneys development.

Basically I think we'll get a CF and DM, hopefully it's Higuain and Fellaini. Any more signings depend on who leaves, for example we could get Grenier if Gervinho goes or a new CB if Vermaelen decides to go

ReputationRep:
    I'd be chuffed to bits with just Higuain and Fellaini/Bender tbh

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.