Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    That is really rude! What is a parent volunteer? I've never heard of one. I'm assuming this is primary.
    Yeah, Year 1. It's a parent who comes in to 'help', but actually spy on all the kids and report back to the rest of the yummy mummies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    Yeah, Year 1. It's a parent who comes in to 'help', but actually spy on all the kids and report back to the rest of the yummy mummies
    You're not wrong there. Except it's spying on the teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even properly apply for this job... I applied for one two weeks ago and wasn't quite right for the role, but, the head really liked me and personally recommended me for this vacancy (which hadn't been advertised) and sent over the application/CV that I used for the first school...

Just thrilled to not have to worry about jobs for next year and now I can just focus purely on my second placement!
    Well done!

ReputationRep:
    The jobs seem to have dried up a bit recently. Not had anything new all this week so far.
    Oh. Pssh, as if she had the cheek to say that to you before. I'd be fuming haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    You're not wrong there. Except it's spying on the teachers.

She's dying to be allowed in the staffroom, funnily enough.

The class teacher was pissed off too. She said she was going to have a word with the head.

ReputationRep:

She's dying to be allowed in the staffroom, funnily enough.

The class teacher was pissed off too. She said she was going to have a word with the head.
    I say it as a parent myself, but parents in schools are often a bigger pain in the ass than any of the kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I say it as a parent myself, but parents in schools are often a bigger pain in the ass than any of the kids.
    I've really noticed it on my current placement. There is a queue at the start and at the end of day to complain about something- it's so demoralising!

One even asked to see my CV! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've really noticed it on my current placement. There is a queue at the start and at the end of day to complain about something- it's so demoralising!

One even asked to see my CV! :rolleyes:
    Unless it was with a view to offering you a job, I sincerely hope you told them to do one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I GOT THE JOB! So happy and shocked at the moment.

Contract starts on July 1st.

I can't believe it!
    Congratulations! That's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    There is a job going at my placement school... but it starts in June I'm not sure they'd have me anyway but very nervous about the job application process! I think if I had been able to apply to this job it would have given me the kick up the bottom I need to start properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    There is a job going at my placement school... but it starts in June I'm not sure they'd have me anyway but very nervous about the job application process! I think if I had been able to apply to this job it would have given me the kick up the bottom I need to start properly!
    Ahh June is a shame. Odd time too. Rules out all this year's trainees. I know what you mean about the job app process. It is intimidating and I am being very picky. I don't want to apply foe anything unless I'm 100%, whereas my course friends are applying for anything because they are desperate for a job. That's the difference with me - I'm not too bothered if I don't get a job. Obviously I want one eventually but I don't see it as the end of the world if I don't get one for September. Rather that than have got something somewhere I didn't want. :dontknow: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh June is a shame. Odd time too. Rules out all this year's trainees. I know what you mean about the job app process. It is intimidating and I am being very picky. I don't want to apply foe anything unless I'm 100%, whereas my course friends are applying for anything because they are desperate for a job. That's the difference with me - I'm not too bothered if I don't get a job. Obviously I want one eventually but I don't see it as the end of the world if I don't get one for September. Rather that than have got something somewhere I didn't want. :dontknow: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a maternity cover position.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you've seen my plea for advice in the NQT thread, you'll know I'm somewhere in between you and your friends - trying to picky the right school but not wanting to miss an opportunity...I am currently trying to decide whether to apply to a school that I kind of like but interviews before a school I really love.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesn't rule out 4 year QTS degrees. My degree finished at the end of May. I was on holiday in Sweden I remember during the first week of June. So we must have finished before then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    If you've seen my plea for advice in the NQT thread, you'll know I'm somewhere in between you and your friends - trying to picky the right school but not wanting to miss an opportunity...I am currently trying to decide whether to apply to a school that I kind of like but interviews before a school I really love.
    Ah, that is a dilemma. There hasn't been many jobs for me to struggle with deciding yet!

When you say you kind of like it, how much do you like it? Would you be happy working there? You may not even get the first job - in which case the experience could do you good. But then again you might get it :lol: . I don't actually know what to say, it is hard! I probably would apply for both. You may regret it. It doesn't mean you'll get the job. I've known people who have left during an interview day because it's not been for them. If you go to the first interview and don't get a feel for the place you can always leave. At least we've been told by uni that there is no harm being honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, that is a dilemma. There hasn't been many jobs for me to struggle with deciding yet!

When you say you kind of like it, how much do you like it? Would you be happy working there? You may not even get the first job - in which case the experience could do you good. But then again you might get it :lol: . I don't actually know what to say, it is hard! I probably would apply for both. You may regret it. It doesn't mean you'll get the job. I've known people who have left during an interview day because it's not been for them. If you go to the first interview and don't get a feel for the place you can always leave. At least we've been told by uni that there is no harm being honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good advice! I have decided to apply in the end. It was a nice school that I know I'd be happy at and would give lots of support...I just didn't get the same vibe as at the others. Still, I may feel different *if* invited for interview. I in no way expect to get the first job I go for so, like you, see it as a good experience. BUT there is always that chance...I guess I face that decision if it arises. :-P

ReputationRep:
    Good advice! I have decided to apply in the end. It was a nice school that I know I'd be happy at and would give lots of support...I just didn't get the same vibe as at the others. Still, I may feel different *if* invited for interview. I in no way expect to get the first job I go for so, like you, see it as a good experience. BUT there is always that chance...I guess I face that decision if it arises. :-P
    And know sometimes it is easy to get over confident. I've only applied for one job and then the other day I'm looking at rent prices in that area and everything, and then I realised...whoops, may not even get an interview! But we all think ahead, so I see where you are coming from.

Let us know what happens anyway and what you decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    And know sometimes it is easy to get over confident. I've only applied for one job and then the other day I'm looking at rent prices in that area and everything, and then I realised...whoops, may not even get an interview! But we all think ahead, so I see where you are coming from.

I will do! Chances are I won't get any of these, it's still fairly early days. Still, nice to stay positive! :-P

ReputationRep:

As a follow up...The school have just invited me for interview! I sent the application this morning...

ReputationRep:
    As a follow up...The school have just invited me for interview! I sent the application this morning...
    WOW, that's fast! Well done though! When is the interview?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.