Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 0KaY0)
Does anyone know what the weighting of the application process is for law?

Do Oxford count short course GCSE A*s? seeing as a short course GCSE is seen as 'half' a GCSE. e.g 8A* but 2 are short course so if only counting 'full' GCSEs, its actually 6A*s

Thanks!
They would count them as half GCSEs....so you'd have 7 A*s - which is fine!
medbh4805
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ginger_biscuits)
username: ginger_biscuits
subject: Classics (OR English?)
GCSE: 6 a*, 4A (ICGSE), 1B
A levels: (I'm applying post-A level) - A* eng lit, A classical greek, A latin, A history
College: Merton?

What does everyone think- I mean, is it worth a go? And, with the grades I have, is Merton a good or bad choice?

would I stand a better chance if I applied for English?
I think the relative competitiveness of english compared to classics means that you'd probably still have a better chance with classics tbh, but which course you prefer should be the deciding factor

have you considered joint honours classics and english?
ginger_biscuits
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by medbh4805)
I think the relative competitiveness of english compared to classics means that you'd probably still have a better chance with classics tbh, but which course you prefer should be the deciding factor

have you considered joint honours classics and english?
I had but, to be honest, it might not be worth the risk... there are only 6 places after all! And I'm not sure whether it would mean going half way into each, which could be a bit annoying...
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had but, to be honest, it might not be worth the risk... there are only 6 places after all! And I'm not sure whether it would mean going half way into each, which could be a bit annoying...
tbh, it should be course that decides it for you, not your likelihood of getting a place, nothing is certain for anyone who's applying to Oxford :erm:

and when I was over in July for UNIQ one of the Classics mentors said that Classics and English/Modern Lang students basically have the workload of two degrees :dontknow:
ginger_biscuits
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
tbh, it should be course that decides it for you, not your likelihood of getting a place, nothing is certain for anyone who's applying to Oxford :erm:

and when I was over in July for UNIQ one of the Classics mentors said that Classics and English/Modern Lang students basically have the workload of two degrees :dontknow:
and less time to do it in? Classics is 4 years, Classics and English 3. I suppose you would be studying the areas where English and Classics overlap, so you'd be doing a lot of the Renaissance, and that sort of thing?
Such a difficult decision!
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
and less time to do it in? Classics is 4 years, Classics and English 3. I suppose you would be studying the areas where English and Classics overlap, so you'd be doing a lot of the Renaissance, and that sort of thing?
Such a difficult decision!
That's not normally how joint honours degrees work... you usually do plenty of things that don't overlap. If you're considering it, I suggest you go and find out what the Oxford courses actually do involve.
Lac.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
That's not normally how joint honours degrees work... you usually do plenty of things that don't overlap. If you're considering it, I suggest you go and find out what the Oxford courses actually do involve.
Totally off the subject, but I love your icon.
Perseverance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I keep putting off my personal statement, I can't believe there is so little time before I need to send my UCAS application off!
Lexi C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Perseverance)
I keep putting off my personal statement, I can't believe there is so little time before I need to send my UCAS application off!
Yeah but it actually doesn't take THAT long to write!
I keep putting off learning my German grammar for the admissions test :'(
Groat
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Perseverance)
(Original post by Lexi C)
Yes, it doesn't take that long to write, but it takes a while to get sufficient comments and make drafts. Try writing a bit each day, and before you know it, you'll have finished it!
irina793
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
Try writing a bit each day, and before you know it, you'll have finished it!
I actually found that it's easier to write it all in one go. This way, you don't interrupt the flow of the writing
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by irina793)
I actually found that it's easier to write it all in one go. This way, you don't interrupt the flow of the writing
I also think once you are in the flow you shouldn't interrupt and just keep going But whenever new ideas popped up in my mind (usually on my way to school or something like that ) I wrote them down and tried to build them into my statement on the weekends. Even though my PS is finished I still keep getting new ideas... Maybe I'll try to put them into my PS somehow... who knows
irina793
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nightmare91)
I also think once you are in the flow you shouldn't interrupt and just keep going But whenever new ideas popped up in my mind (usually on my way to school or something like that ) I wrote them down and tried to build them into my statement on the weekends. Even though my PS is finished I still keep getting new ideas... Maybe I'll try to put them into my PS somehow... who knows

Oh, yeah, sure.. I think it's great to add new ideas, I just meant that the first draft should be written in one sitting. I actually did mine a while back (a few months back, actually... I'm a freak, I know ) and as the time passed I changed a lot of the ideas in it and it turned out great (I'm being modest.. )
I'm rambling... Anyways, what I wanted to say is that it's harder to try and fit 5 different paragraphs together than it is just to sit down, gather your ideas and just write the whole thing. You can always change bits and pieces later...
Perseverance
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
Yes, it doesn't take that long to write, but it takes a while to get sufficient comments and make drafts. Try writing a bit each day, and before you know it, you'll have finished it!

(Original post by Lexi C)

The problem is I write a sentence and then decide it's not quite what I want to say and delete it. I think I'm just going to give it a try now and see how far I get.
Perseverance
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, yeah, sure.. I think it's great to add new ideas, I just meant that the first draft should be written in one sitting. I actually did mine a while back (a few months back, actually... I'm a freak, I know ) and as the time passed I changed a lot of the ideas in it and it turned out great (I'm being modest.. )
I'm rambling... Anyways, what I wanted to say is that it's harder to try and fit 5 different paragraphs together than it is just to sit down, gather your ideas and just write the whole thing. You can always change bits and pieces later...
That's helpful, thank you.
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh you are not a freak because I had started in May and finished last week. Okay, maybe we both are freaks, that is still possible but I just like to plan in advance. I'm quite glad that I don't have to focus on it because school work is already enough
fluteflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lac.)
Totally off the subject, but I love your icon.
I can't claim credit for coming up with it unfortunately... but it is rather awesome
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is motivating me to finish my PS :sigh:
fluteflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is motivating me to finish my PS :sigh:
Showing mine to my tutor tomorrow... Also finalise which subjects I'm going to continue with next year.
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
Showing mine to my tutor tomorrow... Also finalise which subjects I'm going to continue with next year.
I just remembered I'm meant to have work experience for a week starting monday (we get time off school and everything), but the project I'm meant to be working on has lost its funding (it's voluntary sector) So I'll have a week free to do it

argh I just want UCAS done
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (172)
18.59%
No (560)
60.54%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.86%

Watched Threads