Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    Wha??... How have I missed this?

I now feel embarrassed having her as my avatar... Thought I knew everything about her.
    Literally the first ep haha. No idea how you could have missed that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I haven't liked a companion since Donna tbh. Amy/Rory were horribly cringe and the weird love triangle was disgraceful. Also, I've just found the general dialogue seems less "realistic"; the short, sharp exchanges between Clara and Doctor just seemed so mechanical and scripted. The humour seemed more "ordinary" if you get what I mean, back in S1-4. And now we'll get an hour of "Hello sweetie" at Christmas, fml, fmfl.

Nobody bothers keeping up with Rivers stories, Moffat writes himself into corners, retcons it when he can't think of an ending and everything's alright again :rolleyes: I can't wait for next year when Gallifrey finds itself it yet another dimension/displacement/universe/position :rolleyes:
    Ahh, Donna was good'un. I quite liked Amy and Rory- but agree with you on the cringy love triangle, so not needed!

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    When she died in that ep, the Doctor saved her by uploading her into the library computer
    Ok, this does actually ring some bells- but she hasn't been in a computer since (or has she?)... Is this something to do with their timelines being opposite?

(Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Literally the first ep haha. No idea how you could have missed that?
    What's even worse is that I actually really love the Silence in the Library episode Must have blanked out the troublesome ending.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Ok, this does actually ring some bells- but she hasn't been in a computer since (or has she?)... Is this something to do with their timelines being opposite?.
    Yes, the last first time the Dr met river was the last time she met him which is why she is stuck in a computer. Although their timelines aren't completely opposite.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ace123)
    I do wonder if they will SPOILER FROM NEXT TIME
    Spoiler:
    Show
    kill River Song off in the Xmas special for a completely blank slate for series 10
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Except she died already. In the silence in library/forest of dead.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I mean, characters having died once doesn't usually stop Moffatt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I know but I mean kill her off permanently not in the database
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    x
    Can you please use spoiler tags?

Spoiler:
    Show
    River is already technically dead; she died in the Library. We've been meeting her since in a higgly-piggly order.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    God I hope not! She's so unlikable it's almost unbearable I have no sympathy for her... just an intense dislike. The entire Doctor/assistant dynamic depends on the assistant being likable and easy going, to contrast with the Doctor's eccentricities, she'd ruin the entire show!!

Have I missed something here? When was River trapped in a computer??
    River met Tennant when she was uploaded and that's when it was revealed that she was his wife, Smith then met her after he'd already met her and she'd killed him on the beach to be arrested and then we saw her going from child to that moment.

More simply her timeline looks like.. Child to killing him on the beach (series 6 -Smith) > Prison but gallivanting (series 5 and 7 - Smith) > Uploaded (series 4 - Tennant) > Alive or dead (Trenzalore -Series 7).

We don't really know where in her timestream the Christmas meet will be but i presume she's escaped being uploaded.

I haven't liked a companion since Donna tbh. Amy/Rory were horribly cringe and the weird love triangle was disgraceful. Also, I've just found the general dialogue seems less "realistic"; the short, sharp exchanges between Clara and Doctor just seemed so mechanical and scripted. The humour seemed more "ordinary" if you get what I mean, back in S1-4. And now we'll get an hour of "Hello sweetie" at Christmas, fml, fmfl.

Nobody bothers keeping up with Rivers stories, Moffat writes himself into corners, retcons it when he can't think of an ending and everything's alright again :rolleyes: I can't wait for next year when Gallifrey finds itself it yet another dimension/displacement/universe/position :rolleyes:
    I must say that Donna ruled as a companion (aside from the attitude) although i still think Victorian Clara would have been better. I'm strongly against these couples they bring along and think single companions are best.

ReputationRep:
    Can you please use spoiler tags?
    that happened in series 4 which was in 2007
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    that happened in series 4 which was in 2007
    I know. Speculation for the Christmas episode, however, should be spoilered
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I mean, characters having died once doesn't usually stop Moffatt
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What does stop Moffatt nowadays?!

ReputationRep:
    Hope River eats **** and dies next time she's seen x

ReputationRep:
    Hope River eats **** and dies next time she's seen x
    Crikey! You really don't like her :eek:

What's brought this on? Is it the character, actress, plot-line?

You may be able to tell that I'm a fan... She's fierce.

ReputationRep:

so fierce she divorced voldermort

ReputationRep:

Actually hate her lmao, she's the most banal recurring character the show has ever produced. ****ing disgraceful :lol:

I hate her "Hello sweetie", I've cringed in places I never knew possible when I've heard that line. I don't like how she's just a carbon copy wannabe Bond girl with none of what makes Bond girls so great. I hate how she's probably only in there because because it's PC to show women aren't just your typical damsel in distress characters like Amy was for 70% of the series. I hate how her story arc spanned 2 seasons and came to the most dull, inconceivable, silly conclusion possible; Doctor's wife? Get the **** outta here. Also, she's just a bad actor; wooden, one-dimensional sassy character you could find in every and any show, I don't get who she's meant to appeal to or who she's in the vein of :erm: Don't get me wrong, it sounds like I'm being a nostalgiafag, there are plenty of great things about Moffat's run, but one step forward, two steps back. Such a shame too, she was good in Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, genuinely interesting to see a future character pop up.

Yes, someday you'll be cured :rip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    you mean favorite new who doctor i'm guessing?
    it's out of the doctor's I've seen. I've seen all of 8th, 9th,10th,11th,12th and most of the 5th.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    fashionably late to this party :cool:
    just seen the last episode and well as per usual i didn't understand what was going on or why a certain character appeared AGAIN *gah* can't anyone just stay dead?

ReputationRep:
    So how long before they announce a "Clara and Me" spin off show?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    So how long before they announce a "Clara and Me" spin off show?
    I'll give it until Easter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.