The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm just waiting for my rejection, since I screwed up the TSA. I'd just like the wait to be over.
I'm sure I'll cry when I get my rejection, though!
I know one girl who got 6 interviews (legit cause she was talking about this amongst the tutors at Oxford who affirmed that) but HOW?
Not every subject automatically gives you two colleges to be interviewed at. It mainly only happens with Medicine and some other science subjects. Most courses will just interview you at one college, and then you can be pooled for more after those interviews.
About the interviews (might be totally irrelevant if I don't get the interview but still one can hope :colondollar:) there is a 'must stay until' and a 'might need to stay until' date, or something along those lines. Will the interview invitation tell you exactly which days you have to be there? If not, how do you book flights?
Original post by patricio_miguel
I know one girl who got 6 interviews (legit cause she was talking about this amongst the tutors at Oxford who affirmed that) but HOW?

Not that unheard of.

I had 6 interviews - applied for joint honours so had 2 English, 1 classics, then had a faculty language interview and then got pooled and had 2 more interviews at another college.

If you do joint honours, or get pooled, or they just want to interview you again for other reasons - then it's perfectly normal. Although the average number of interviews is probably closer to 2-4

]
Reply 5065
Original post by Fedelias
Around when did history interview invitations begin to roll out last year?

Some colleges are significantly later than others.
Original post by Irwin
Some colleges are significantly later than others.

Do you know when Univ normally give out history and politics interviews?
Original post by 9dobbo1
Could @BrasenoseAdm possibly outline how the contextual flagging system works (in determining shortlisting), and whether or not different colleges/departments use this information differently or if there is a university-wide policy on the matter. Thank you!

Hello 9dobbo1,

The central University admissions team use the information provided to us through UCAS to provide colleges and departments with contextual flags to use in their admissions procedures. There are a variety of flags, but in principle, they are based on your pre-16 and post-16 school performance, levels of University participation and deprivation at your postcode, and whether or not you have spent more than 3 months in care.

You can see the University policy (and a slightly more detailed explanation of the above) for these flags here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data

Hope that helps
Original post by not you
I've finally found someone else applying there lol

What subject did you apply for?

I'm also applying for St Hugh's! What course?
Anyone heard back from Magdalen and or law in general? 😊
Original post by GeorgieS-H
I'm also applying for St Hugh's! What course?

Medicine, what about you?
Original post by TheRoyalLobster

I saw someone with an interview at Brasenose for law, but thats the only law interview I've seen! Don't think I've seen anything from Magdalen yet
Original post by Mkm15

Hi, im in year 11 and need to choose my a levels in the next week or so. I want to apply to oxford (in the future) and i was wondering if subjects such as politics or history of art are seen as 'easy subjects' compared to something like history. I want to do english lit. and a language/politics at uni. Thanks x

@BrasenoseAdm

Hello Mkm15,

We would not expect Politics or History of Art to be seen as 'easy subjects' but it does, of course, depend on what you apply for and which other subjects you are doing. History is undeniably very useful when applying for any essay based subject, as is English Literature. However, Politics and History of Art both involve essay writing as well, and so have transferable skills for a degree such as English and Modern Languages. If you meet the actual essential (and sometimes recommended) subject requirements then your other options shouldn't matter too much, especially where they have transferable skills and interest you enough to ensure you're predicted to meet our grade requirements.

For example, if you were applying for English and French, we would expect you to have English Literature (or combined) and French A levels. If you were then studying either History of Art or Politics this would be fine, as would History!

Make sure you have a look at the selection criteria for the subject that you might apply for, as this might give you a bit of an insight into what is generally expected. We look at each application on its own merits against these selection criteria, using much more than just your subject choices as well.

I hope that answers your question!
The suspense is killing me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likewise
Original post by V.Puzzled
About the interviews (might be totally irrelevant if I don't get the interview but still one can hope :colondollar:) there is a 'must stay until' and a 'might need to stay until' date, or something along those lines. Will the interview invitation tell you exactly which days you have to be there? If not, how do you book flights?

Hello V.Puzzled,

If you are invited to interview it is likely to just repeat what the website says about when you are expected, I'm afraid.

Some subjects interview everyone who is staying at the college and then decide who they might need to interview again, who will get interviews elsewhere, and who they might interview from other colleges, and then let everyone else leave. Some subjects just ask everyone to stay until they've decided to stop interviewing, and then let everyone go. Some subjects only have a set number of interviews, and are very clear about when you are required (Engineering, for example).

Generally you should plan to be required from the 'arrive by' time until the 'may be required to stay until' time. Your interview college should be able to offer you accommodation as required. Generally, colleges try to be flexible with accommodation for international students or students travelling a long way in the UK, but you might want to check this with the college that you have applied to.

I hope that helps!
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hello 9dobbo1,

The central University admissions team use the information provided to us through UCAS to provide colleges and departments with contextual flags to use in their admissions procedures. There are a variety of flags, but in principle, they are based on your pre-16 and post-16 school performance, levels of University participation and deprivation at your postcode, and whether or not you have spent more than 3 months in care.

You can see the University policy (and a slightly more detailed explanation of the above) for these flags here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data

Hope that helps

Thanks for clarifying
Does anyone know when Oriental languages interview invitations are expected to be sent?! I'm so desperate and not so optimistic about all this... :/ 😢
Original post by TheRoyalLobster

I've applied for Law at Brasenose but haven't heard anything yet😓
Original post by Amandajjackson
I've applied for Law at Brasenose but haven't heard anything yet😓

If you look at the interview/offer thread there is an interview holder for Law at Brasenose. I have applied for Law too
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hello 9dobbo1,

Hope that helps

Thanks for this!
I checked my postcode using Acorn and apparently I'm in Category 5 (the worst one, unsurprisingly) :
"some of the most densely populated urban areas in the country and are characterised by a young, multi-ethnic population living in purpose-built blocks of flats, some of which are high rise" "high level of single parents and fewer traditional couples. Around one in five of these people might have a child who does not live with them"" low skilled occupations and incomes are low. A number of people will have two or more jobs in order to increase their income.""These neighbourhoods may also have a high number of people claiming Job Seeker's Allowance. Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, and Housing Benefit will also provide support for some.""A relatively high proportion has noisy neighbours or considers their neighbourhood to suffer from vandalism and crime."

Hopefully this means I'm a tiny bit more likely to get an interview, as the Oxford website says "When a candidate is flagged, it is strongly recommended that they are invited to interview"? Is this reasonable to assume?
Does anybody know of a system where I could check my secondary school stats? I know it was an awful school (through experience and anecdote) but it would be really reassuring to know that Oxford is aware of this with data and evidence!

Also, I can check up to 25 postcodes on Acorn, as I've signed up, so if anybody wants me to check their postcode for them, send me a dm or something :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending