Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    I'll be sad to leave this group if a rejection comes :-( good luck everyone for next week (if we hear), fingers crossed for you all x
    Hahaha, I'm almost definitely getting rejected but I'll still hang around here to see how people are fairing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    How would you guys answer the interview question: why do you want to study your subject, and why at Oxford?
    If you're asking this question... you should seriously consider withdrawing your application :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Yeah I managed to write everything that I wanted to, but I spent too long at the start choosing between two of the questions, I really wish I'd had that time at the end
    I had the same problem! One of the statements was so absurd you couldn't do anything but disagree with it, so I was torn between the other two and none of them made me feel particularly inspired...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkallikas)
    I didn't do a lot of full timed past papers, I mostly did them question by question, and then moved on to Kaplan papers for actual timed conditions. With those I always got around 7.5 for both sections but I did do the 2013 one and I got high 6s.
    hmm I found a Kaplan one a lot easier than the past papers, although I only did one my friend shared with me since he went on the Kaplan course.

(Original post by zenlatte)
    Has anybody been rejected from reading medicine?
    Test results aren't out yet, don't think they'll reject anyone yet

(Original post by mate8)
    Hi, if some people already got invitation to the interview it means that Ox already checked *AT? Tests are checked by colleges and the date of invitation depends on that or they are checked by departments?
    Has anyone been offered the interview to courses related to mathematics? (i'm asking people who had to take MAT test)
    People with interviews are all people whose course don't need tests, so maths interviews won't be issued until MAT results are out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    If you're asking this question... you should seriously consider withdrawing your application :/
    I think that's a little harsh I would ask the same question- I know why I want to study my course and why at Oxford - I want to go to one of the best uni's in the world, and I want to study human sciences because I find it interesting. I know why I want these things but I don't know that these are the right answers to give to an interviewer - I don't know what they're looking for, they probably hear this exact thing from everyone so I would wanna know what other people are thinking of answering to this question to see if there's a way to set myself apart. Doesn't mean I or the person asking this question shouldn't have aplird

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really really really just want an invitation or rejection. This wait is the worst... I feel like my life is on pause, just because I can't really move on to making other plans until I know which uni I'll be going to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icamui1)
    LNAT questions are not necessarily the same for all candidates, since they are automatically and most probably randomly selected by the testing software. You might have some questions (MCQs or essay topics) in common with other candidates, but the chances of two tests being entirely alike are pretty low. So, as much as I'd like to discuss the exam myself, our experiences may not be very similar In plus, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere in the terms and conditions section that you can't disclose LNAT topics until this year's testing has finished. But aside from this, we can discuss the difficulty level, I guess? I was really wondering if other candidates found it as dreadful as I did... I barely had time to write a proper conclusion for the essay or check my answers to the reading section. It felt really nerve-wracking! How did it go for you?

PS: Sorry if I sound arrogant or something, my intention was just to clarify some points :P
    I genuinely didn't think the multiple choice was too bad, just strange topics as usual. But obviously I didn't have enough time for the essay. I'd be worried if I did. It definitely wasn't the best thing I've written but luckily I've had an offer for one LNAT uni so I must have achieved at least average.. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannaParker)
    How did you find the multiple choice component? Am starting to worry because I felt as if mine was considerably harder than the practice papers provided on the website
    There was definitely some that were harder than the past papers that I really struggled with; and some of those I flagged but even when I reviewed my flagged questions I was still torn between 2 or even 3 answers. However there was also some that seemed easier than the practice ones, in that the answers weren't so similar so could be separated easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollaPulchra197)
    Oh I definitely agree! I was really torn between questions!

Good Luck
    Good luck to you too! Which college have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icamui1)
    I had the same problem! One of the statements was so absurd you couldn't do anything but disagree with it, so I was torn between the other two and none of them made me feel particularly inspired...
    My main issue was that after doing some of the past paper questions, I knew which style of question I was most comfortable with, and some of the questions on the day seemed very different to what I was used to seeing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateaustins)
    I genuinely didn't think the multiple choice was too bad, just strange topics as usual. But obviously I didn't have enough time for the essay. I'd be worried if I did. It definitely wasn't the best thing I've written but luckily I've had an offer for one LNAT uni so I must have achieved at least average.. Yourself?
    I agree on the multiple choice, though I'm not sure what to expect from my performance really; when I did practice tests at home it used to go pretty well, but I felt so stressed during and after the test that I can't really estimate how well I did. As for the essay, I honestly think I received the worst possible topics ever but I tried my best to bring up some interesting arguments.

Congratulations on your offer, by the way !!! Which uni is it from? I haven't heard anything back yet and I applied to 3 LNAT unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mate8)
    Thanks a lot you just made my tomorrow more nervous
    Hahahaha, I need some other people to feel as nervous as me! It could still take a while for them to let us know though. Apparently the average is 43 for the MAT this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaanc)
    Hahahaha, I need some other people to feel as nervous as me! It could still take a while for them to let us know though. Apparently the average is 43 for the MAT this year.
    According to who?!

Edit: Found it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    According to who?!

Edit: Found it
    Is there any way to find out the average for the HAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Is there any way to find out the average for the HAT?
    I found the MAT one on the MAT thread so maybe check yours? There's this guy that updates us from Oxford, not sure who he is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaanc)
    I found the MAT one on the MAT thread so maybe check yours? There's this guy that updates us from Oxford, not sure who he is.
    He's a Computer Science Professor at Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether knowing the average was 43 makes gives me hope or prepares me for the worst...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karina_xo)
    I think that's a little harsh I would ask the same question- I know why I want to study my course and why at Oxford - I want to go to one of the best uni's in the world, and I want to study human sciences because I find it interesting. I know why I want these things but I don't know that these are the right answers to give to an interviewer - I don't know what they're looking for, they probably hear this exact thing from everyone so I would wanna know what other people are thinking of answering to this question to see if there's a way to set myself apart. Doesn't mean I or the person asking this question shouldn't have aplird

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, that might have sounded a bit harsh. What I meant is that by this time you should know why you wanna go there; just be confident and be you. If there's something that interests you about the course - say it! They are looking for general interest in the subject and not over prepared answers like 'I am passionated about this subject since the study of human sciences attempts to expand and enlighten the human being's knowledge of their existence [...] (yes, I did use wikipedia )

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when oriental studies interviews will be given out? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner248)
    Anyone know when oriental studies interviews will be given out? :/
    Waiting for this, too. It'll be between now and the 1st of December, just got to suck it up and hold tight! I suppose it takes a bit longer because they have all our written work to go over before making decisions.

On the bright side, last year around 80% of Oriental studies applicants for interviews, so look positive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.