Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Attachment 581114 This pattern finished me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I remember seeing this one it was ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BFCBP)
    Do you mean to redo the mocks? If so, not really... I suppose you could contact them and chance your luck but I'd not count on them resetting it for you...
    Yes thats what i meant because i borrowed someones and it wouldve been useful to do as many as possible because most of theirs is done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzz11)
    Yes thats what i meant because i borrowed someones and it wouldve been useful to do as many as possible because most of theirs is done
    You could just contact Medify and make up a story but it might not work – worth a go tho?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BFCBP)
    Damn bro, u savage af hahahaha
    I'm not savage at all. I'm trying to be realistic. At the end of the day, I want everyone to be where they wanna be, that much is true. But that can't necessarily happen.

I'm not telling him he has no hope or should give up, I'm advising him to think about alternatives because the hard truth is that schools will turn down weak applications, and to waste your UCAS on an application that won't work will mean you've wasted a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    I'm not savage at all. I'm trying to be realistic. At the end of the day, I want everyone to be where they wanna be, that much is true. But that can't necessarily happen.

I'm not telling him he has no hope or should give up, I'm advising him to think about alternatives because the hard truth is that schools will turn down weak applications, and to waste your UCAS on an application that won't work will mean you've wasted a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm only joking anyway. Possibly a better option with that UKCAT score would be to follow the postgrad route if medicine truly is the career for them? A long way round though...

Probably not worth recommending the BMAT unis as is it any easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BFCBP)
    I'm doing 4 AH, and one is crash AH Computing Science – didn't do Nat 5 :/ it hurts...

But AH chemistry is probably worse, not taking anything in hahaha, hopefully I'll have some sort of miracle exponential growth of understanding but I wouldn't count on it!! Hahaha
    OMG! Well done! I would not be able to do 4 AH but I'm sure you're fully capable - it's really hard trying to stay on top of evrything - i know how you feel. lol

ReputationRep:
    the new section is called the situational judgement test . u can find it in the new UKCAT practice books

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit of an unfair assessment. You can't say that because you did badly, the UKCAT is a bad exam.

Unfortunately, it works well for the majority, and so this was due to either your lack of preparation, lack of aptitude, or more likely a bit of both.

The UKCAT is great for doing what it does: assessing one's skills, not their academic knowledge. You don't need to know anything going into it, it's all about learning the techniques to do well. Also, it gives those who may not have the best overall profile a chance to prove themselves in another way.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I do not mean to offend but only to inform you without sugar coating anything, but I would seriously think long and hard about whether you are suitable for medicine/dentistry/vets, as although I have not learnt anything about your overall profile, your UKCAT is perhaps not indicative of your application being successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily a lack of preparation or aptitude, he could've had a bad batch of questions or a bad day.
    Ukcat is merely a way to cut down the amount of applicants suitable for the course as it's so competitive. They needed another requirement as the majority are applying with great grades.
    They don't need to think 'long and hard' about whether they're suitable for medicine or dentistry and the like as the ukcat doesn't define what a good/capable doctor would be; hence why it's not the only criteria used in selection. If they know they have the capability and desire to do medicine then they should go for it.

I'm pretty sure if they're able to get good grades then they don't need to rely on a ukcat to define their ability and whether they should pursue a passion of theirs.

Some universities have different requirements so you can't assume that their ukcat is indicative of them not being successful. They can always do the BMAT and score better on that as well as that isn't the same as the ukcat and loads of people do bad in the one but great in the other . So this doesn't define whether they're suitable for medicine at all, it just simply suggests that they shouldn't apply to ukcat heavy universities. That's it.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by L.Khan)
    Hi, I got 733, Band 2 in the UKCAT and am hoping to apply to Newcastle. Which other uni would be worth a look at?
    Thanks
    Hey there,

Are you thinking of apply to UKCAT heavy universities? If so, you could consider Sheffield and Southampton, which last year had UKCAT cut off scores of 675 and 705 respectively. To be honest, with a score like yours (which is great by the way!) you could apply to most UKCAT universities and have a good chance, as long as you've got good GCSE and A level grades to back it up.

It's really up to you! Good luck with it all,
    The Medic Portal
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aspiringmedic178)
    Thank you so much!! I am trying to choose between Bristol and Exeter. I heart that Exeter wants above 650? Do you think I could apply to Exeter or Bristol is a better idea. I also have 7A*s and 3 As.
    Ahhh that's a tough one!

We would love to help you with your decision, but ultimately it's really up to you! There is so much luck and chance involved, we couldn't possibly say!

Good luck with it all

The Medic Portal
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by layba_khan)
    Just wondering, how do you know Plymouth's cut off last year was 650? I emailed the university's dental admissions team and they've said the 2016 cut off was 2280 overall, including decision making.
    Oh sorry! That was a typo on our part. The minimum thresholds are listed here on the official UKCAT website. That hyperlink states that last year you had to meet the following thresholds:
    Verbal Reasoning - 530
    Quantitative Reasoning - 650
    Abstract Reasoning - 610
    Decision Analysis - 600
    Total with standard deviation applied: 2610.

Hope that clears up any confusion, and thanks for pointing it out
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Name:  received_907361412698132.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  95.0 KB
    send help

I've done over half the medify AR bank too, mostly timed. I have ten days to not suck. god help us all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GluteusBurger)
    Name:  received_907361412698132.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  95.0 KB
    send help

I've done over half the medify AR bank too, mostly timed. I have ten days to not suck. god help us all
    What's your technique and how many days have you been practicing AR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No dont worry, no offense taken bro. And i completely get where you're coming from. Some teachers recommended I take another course, and maybe follow the postgraduate option. Or if Im really keen on getting in this year, take the BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Not necessarily a lack of preparation or aptitude, he could've had a bad batch of questions or a bad day.
    Ukcat is merely a way to cut down the amount of applicants suitable for the course as it's so competitive. They needed another requirement as the majority are applying with great grades.
    They don't need to think 'long and hard' about whether they're suitable for medicine or dentistry and the like as the ukcat doesn't define what a good/capable doctor would be; hence why it's not the only criteria used in selection. If they know they have the capability and desire to do medicine then they should go for it.

I'm pretty sure if they're able to get good grades then they don't need to rely on a ukcat to define their ability and whether they should pursue a passion of theirs.

Some universities have different requirements so you can't assume that their ukcat is indicative of them not being successful. They can always do the BMAT and score better on that as well as that isn't the same as the ukcat and loads of people do bad in the one but great in the other . So this doesn't define whether they're suitable for medicine at all, it just simply suggests that they shouldn't apply to ukcat heavy universities. That's it.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikram99)
    No dont worry, no offense taken bro. And i completely get where you're coming from. Some teachers recommended I take another course, and maybe follow the postgraduate option. Or if Im really keen on getting in this year, take the BMAT.
    Don't follow the postgrad route. The odds of getting into Med as an undergraduate aren't great and trying to get in as a postgrad they're even worse because it's more competitive. IMO take a year out and focus on getting 3As+ this year and then applying with your achieved grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

My technique is very, uh, minimal. Look at simplest boxes, but mostly winging it. Usually if there's a lot of sides or objects I'll count sides/etc. Look for constants between boxes that vary between series. I don't really think consciously about technique. I've been practising fairly regularly for about two weeks, and intensely now. I'm aware of SCANS and NCPS(?) but don't use them - maybe I should! What did you think of Mock B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GluteusBurger)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

My technique is very, uh, minimal. Look at simplest boxes, but mostly winging it. Usually if there's a lot of sides or objects I'll count sides/etc. Look for constants between boxes that vary between series. I don't really think consciously about technique. I've been practising fairly regularly for about two weeks, and intensely now. I'm aware of SCANS and NCPS(?) but don't use them - maybe I should! What did you think of Mock B?
    I couldn't do mock B either lol. Well you sound like you're on the right lines so all I can say is keep practicing and don't give up on it! If it helps write down the patterns you didn't get and every night read them over and over again to try and memorise them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just came out of the UKCAT
    VR 590
    QR 570
    AR 670
    Band 1

Average 610

I'm applying as a graduate to an undergraduate dentistry course. My top 2 choices would be Kings and barts. The cut off for kings last year was 600. Is there any point or should I give up now?

I know my UKCAT score isn't half as good as most on here, but I never expected it to be. I just wanted to get over 600 and I did so I'm proud of myself regardless of the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archie2004)
    Hi everyone,

Just came out of the UKCAT
    VR 590
    QR 570
    AR 670
    Band 1

Average 610

I'm applying as a graduate to an undergraduate dentistry course. My top 2 choices would be Kings and barts. The cut off for kings last year was 600. Is there any point or should I give up now?

I know my UKCAT score isn't half as good as most on here, but I never expected it to be. I just wanted to get over 600 and I did so I'm proud of myself regardless of the outcome.
    Well done I'm happy for you!☺️ don't give up yet just wait until the official averages come out and make your decision then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.