Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
VSM, it depends on the cancer patient, I guess. If they aren't depressed, they should be able to find something to live for. Normal stuff like family, friends, hope of finding a treatment that will get rid of the cancer etc.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
Try to take them at the sameish time each day. I take mine in the evening. I haven't heard from you in ages. Love and hugs :hugs:
:hugs: I know, work's been keeping me really busy, and exhausted. Was trying to get my manager to let me work part-time, but he'd rather have me staying full-time but I now have the option of telling him when I'm too stressed and he'll switch me to doing emails only (which is much less stressful). I guess it's OK, and I could certainly do with the money (though I'm doing this job to prove that I can do it rather than for the money), but full-time in a job like this is just far too much for me. If I'm not kept on when my contract runs out at the end of January I think I'll be looking primarily for part-time work.

Anyway, I'm starting to babble. How are you, my dear?
Laus
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
:hugs: I know, work's been keeping me really busy, and exhausted. Was trying to get my manager to let me work part-time, but he'd rather have me staying full-time but I now have the option of telling him when I'm too stressed and he'll switch me to doing emails only (which is much less stressful). I guess it's OK, and I could certainly do with the money (though I'm doing this job to prove that I can do it rather than for the money), but full-time in a job like this is just far too much for me. If I'm not kept on when my contract runs out at the end of January I think I'll be looking primarily for part-time work.

Anyway, I'm starting to babble. How are you, my dear?
Babble is good, especially when it's interesting babble. .

I'm glad you've got a job . What are you doing and how long have you been doing it for? If you really can't cope with full-time, part-time may be a good idea. Perhaps you could work full-time one week and part-time another? That way, you won't get into the habit of just working part-time. If you are really stressed out and it's starting to effect your mental and physical health, though, part-time is probably a good idea.

I am so-so. Struggling a bit but hoping things will improve. Trying to think more positively, but it's really hard. I just want this dullness to lift, so I can enjoy life the way I think I used to. I'm on Citalopram too but hoping to switch to Escitalopram. I'm seeing my doctor this afternoon, actually.

I have two essays to finish over the weekend. :sigh:
Thicky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My beautiful mother died of cancer a few months ago and she was very positive and brave and as mothers often do ended up comforting me rather than the reverse. She very much had everything to live for.

I think people doing fund-raising for this are very cool and when I feel I am up to doing things again I want to get involved also.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Thicky)
My beautiful mother died of cancer a few months ago and she was very positive and brave and as mothers often do ended up comforting me rather than the reverse. She very much had everything to live for.

I think people doing fund-raising for this are very cool and when I feel I am up to doing things again I want to get involved also.
I'm so sorry :hugs:.

My mum has cancer. I don't know what I would do if she died. I want to do a trek to Peru next year to raise money for a cancer charity.
Thicky
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
I'm so sorry :hugs:.

My mum has cancer. I don't know what I would do if she died. I want to do a trek to Peru next year to raise money for a cancer charity.
Thanks. I don't really know what to do with myself at the moment, it's still very hard for me, though I do have some long-term goals, which might be surprising, because I know that they are things that would make my mum proud (not that she wasn't already, if you see what I mean)...But getting from here to there in terms of the mental leap is going to be very hard.

I very much hope your mum gets better.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
Thanks. I don't really know what to do with myself at the moment, it's still very hard for me, though I do have some long-term goals, which might be surprising, because I know that they are things that would make my mum proud (not that she wasn't already, if you see what I mean)...But getting from here to there in terms of the mental leap is going to be very hard.

I very much hope your mum gets better.
Thank you. I hope so too. We're waiting to hear more news from the hospital.

I'm so sorry :hugs:. I can't imagine - and, if I'm honest, I don't want to imagine - what it must be like for you. I think you're taking a very positive attitude and I think your mum would be extremely proud. Sitting around concentrating on your misery would not help you, or anyone else, in the slightest. I admire you. What long-term goals are you thinking about?

I am at home at the moment. I think going back to uni after Christmas and doing really well will make my mum proud. But she is already proud of what I've achieved so far. I want to make her happy. I know this sounds silly and kind of shallow but, when my mum was diagnosed, I started to think more about how much I love her. Because I really do. I just don't show it all the time.
Thicky
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
Thank you. I hope so too. We're waiting to hear more news from the hospital.

I'm so sorry :hugs:. I can't imagine - and, if I'm honest, I don't want to imagine - what it must be like for you. I think you're taking a very positive attitude and I think your mum would be extremely proud. Sitting around concentrating on your misery would not help you, or anyone else, in the slightest. I admire you. What long-term goals are you thinking about?

I am at home at the moment. I think going back to uni after Christmas and doing really well will make my mum proud. But she is already proud of what I've achieved so far. I want to make her happy. I know this sounds silly and kind of shallow but, when my mum was diagnosed, I started to think more about how much I love her. Because I really do. I just don't show it all the time.
Don't get me wrong, that positive attitude is in the distance and something I want but haven't quite reached i.e. I have a theoretical long-term positive attitude but at the moment I am probably concentrating on my misery quite a lot.

I did show my mum how much I think of her, which gives me a little comfort, but as in everything I could have done better (in my own mind). Now I am like an amputee, though I would give an arm/leg and a whole lot more to have her back...And the way I feel I would rather that I had passed away so that I did not have to lose her, even though I know that is selfish.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
Don't get me wrong, that positive attitude is in the distance and something I want but haven't quite reached i.e. I have a theoretical long-term positive attitude but at the moment I am probably concentrating on my misery quite a lot.

I did show my mum how much I think of her, which gives me a little comfort, but as in everything I could have done better (in my own mind). Now I am like an amputee, though I would give an arm/leg and a whole lot more to have her back...And the way I feel I would rather that I had passed away so that I did not have to lose her, even though I know that is selfish.
You may get there one day. It must be hard. I don't think I could do it.

I don't think that's selfish at all. I'd think the same if I were in your position. :hugs:
Thicky
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
You may get there one day. It must be hard. I don't think I could do it.

I don't think that's selfish at all. I'd think the same if I were in your position. :hugs:
I can but try. The thing that gets me is that even if I die relatively young it may be that I will have known my mother for less than half of my life...When she is truly the most important thing in it (I hate the past tense).

Thanks again.
Bangers+Mash
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I keep seeing people who study at the same college as me on this site, and now i've just seen someone from the same class as me. Well, best get rid of the profile photo again.

My couselling appointment was good, we spent most of it talking about my uni offers and books about neuroscience and developmental psych.
Actually been a good day so far, first time for a while.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
Babble is good, especially when it's interesting babble. .
:o:

I'm glad you've got a job . What are you doing and how long have you been doing it for? If you really can't cope with full-time, part-time may be a good idea. Perhaps you could work full-time one week and part-time another? That way, you won't get into the habit of just working part-time. If you are really stressed out and it's starting to effect your mental and physical health, though, part-time is probably a good idea.
I'm working in a call centre as a part of the customer service team for an online dvd/games/music retailer. We're getting a LOT of arsey customers whining because they're worried about not getting their items in time for Christmas. Thankfully my manager's noticed I can fly through emails and so I seem to usually be put on emails only to help with the backlog and for a while I've just been on phones if there's a bit of a queue (or to be a guinea-pig for dedicated lines for ordering items over phone and stuff). We're supposed to answer emails within 48 hours, and currently we're roughly getting through them within 20-30 hours. Doing 10 emails an hour is a hell of a lot harder than it sounds, though :o:

I am so-so. Struggling a bit but hoping things will improve. Trying to think more positively, but it's really hard. I just want this dullness to lift, so I can enjoy life the way I think I used to. I'm on Citalopram too but hoping to switch to Escitalopram. I'm seeing my doctor this afternoon, actually.
Awww :hugs: Good luck at the doctor, sweetie

I have two essays to finish over the weekend. :sigh:
Essays suck
Vienna Cannon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow i feel strange my head not all there today i was close to tears for someone i work with. he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and he's been racially abused the poor guy i was in tears because of it gave him big big hugs and he said something that made me really proud of him (he has special needs too) he said that no matter what they do if they kick me down i'll get right back up and not let them get to me. He really is a wonderful guy. Yesterday was a strange and i feel bad to say this but in a way it was amusing (will hate herself forever for this) We had a bomb scare. which i instantly knew was a hoax which is why i found it funny no one really wants to hsbc/subway or spar up there not important considering governmental offices are just over the road.
I'm not feeling too well. I feeling better than the previous few days.

I hope everyone is ok
gooner- :hugs: I hope you get better hun :hugs::hugs::hugs: from me
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi everyone,

VSM, it wasn't harsh so don't worry It was a good thing to ask and it was good for me to type it out so please don't feel bad.

Thicky, I'm so sorry about your Mum. We're all here for you though if you need any support. :hugs:

Laus, hope you are ok hun. A trek in Peru sounds like a fantastic idea. If you want to, go to www.justgiving.co.uk and set up a fundraising page so we can all sponsor you!

Gooner, sweetheart I'm so sorry :hugs: I really really hope you are ok. Been thinking of you all day since I read your brother's post. Seriously hun, anything we can do, just say and we'll be there for you.

Vienna, I understand why you found it funny, don't worry. It's one of those things that you really don't expect to happen during your day so when it does happen you have to laugh and think it's a joke (even if it turns out it's not!) I hope your colleague gets everything sorted out.

Kate, Siti, Luke, Dali and everyone else...hope you are all ok :hugs:
Vienna Cannon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
today was strange though because of the situation with colleague the police were involved and discussing it with the boss and i said the stupidest comment . i think it was something like "police are unreliable never help for anything well in my experience" and he gav me a weird look. he didn't ask but never mind.
Vienna Cannon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:hugs: thanks pink sapphires, hows you been :hugs:
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know to be honest. Sooooo bored of doing nothing now and of trying to get a job because no one wants to employ me. Feeling quite disheartened about applying to uni aswell because school won't help and the deadline is fast approaching. Plus I just read a thread about working in the music industry and how hard it is to get there and even though I knew that, it's really made me think 'what is the point in even bothering with a degree?' and then I think 'what is the point in bothering with life' seeing as I'm 18, loads of time ahead of me and if I go and get a job, I'm going to end up doing the same thing forever and eurgh, can't win.

Meant to be going to London with friends from uni tomorrow but they've all cancelled and I've already bought my ticket so I'm going on my own. How sad is that Going out with friends from home when I get back though which I'm scared about because of dropping out of uni.

Argh, feeling really paranoid and critical now. Think I might go to bed. Sorry. :o:
Vienna Cannon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
I don't know to be honest. Sooooo bored of doing nothing now and of trying to get a job because no one wants to employ me. Feeling quite disheartened about applying to uni aswell because school won't help and the deadline is fast approaching. Plus I just read a thread about working in the music industry and how hard it is to get there and even though I knew that, it's really made me think 'what is the point in even bothering with a degree?' and then I think 'what is the point in bothering with life' seeing as I'm 18, loads of time ahead of me and if I go and get a job, I'm going to end up doing the same thing forever and eurgh, can't win.

Meant to be going to London with friends from uni tomorrow but they've all cancelled and I've already bought my ticket so I'm going on my own. How sad is that Going out with friends from home when I get back though which I'm scared about because of dropping out of uni.

Argh, feeling really paranoid and critical now. Think I might go to bed. Sorry. :o:
don't be sorry, hope you get a good sleep. just see if any one off here thats in london wants to meet up and see if you can spend the day about with them. always a possibility.
You got your whole life ahead of you, but i know what you mean. I didn't go to uni and now i'm stuck as a senior sales advisor and not likely to get anywhere else
how about doing an apprenticeship?
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vienna Cannon)
don't be sorry, hope you get a good sleep. just see if any one off here thats in london wants to meet up and see if you can spend the day about with them. always a possibility.
You got your whole life ahead of you, but i know what you mean. I didn't go to uni and now i'm stuck as a senior sales advisor and not likely to get anywhere else
how about doing an apprenticeship?
Yeah, I guess that's an idea. I don't know what I'd want to do it in though. Think I might just end up doing hairdressing because I always joked about doing that if I didn't get a degree because I love doing people's hair. I really don't know why but if anyone wants their hair straightened or curled or put up, I'll offer to do it! Thing is, I have always wanted a degree. Just feel as if I'm nothing at the minute. My sister said to me today that I don't fit in in this world and should just go and die which didn't help much.

A senior sales advisor isn't bad! Next step is a managing role isn't it? Do you regret not going to uni? Or does it not bother you?
Vienna Cannon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
Yeah, I guess that's an idea. I don't know what I'd want to do it in though. Think I might just end up doing hairdressing because I always joked about doing that if I didn't get a degree because I love doing people's hair. I really don't know why but if anyone wants their hair straightened or curled or put up, I'll offer to do it! Thing is, I have always wanted a degree. Just feel as if I'm nothing at the minute. My sister said to me today that I don't fit in in this world and should just go and die which didn't help much.

A senior sales advisor isn't bad! Next step is a managing role isn't it? Do you regret not going to uni? Or does it not bother you?
no next step is supervisor and i doubt i'll get there I do regret not going to uni because i feel so lonely now and have barely any rl friends because i'm too scared to go out and meet new people
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads