Maths Uni Chat Watch

ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alexs2602)
100% certain, I've known it since a very young age.
I don't know why, but I lol'd so hard at this.
Vitruvius
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
100% certain, I've known it since a very young age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Meridiem
There's actually a section there entitled 'Confusion at noon and midnight'. Looks like you have not read the article whose link you've posted.
I don't mean to sound rude but you can't seriously be a maths student if you can't even tell the time.
I suspect you are also one of those who expect maths students to be mental calculators?
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So what's everyone taking this term? Anyone particularly looking forward to anything?
IrrationalNumber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SimonM)
So what's everyone taking this term? Anyone particularly looking forward to anything?
I'm intimidated by measure theory.
SimonM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by IrrationalNumber)
I might be taking it, I haven't decided between measure theory and algebraic geometry.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Although I've been told that QM in 1B isn't really representative of what the subject is really about, it's still something I've been looking forward to for a while. (The sort of thing I imagined myself doing at university when in school)

Methods too, because it's something I may be good at.

Markov is the other way around, promises to be good but my lack of ability and then eventually enthusiasm for probability will probably eventually put me off.
SimonM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
Although I've been told that QM in 1B isn't really representative of what the subject is really about, it's still something I've been looking forward to for a while. (The sort of thing I imagined myself doing at university when in school)

Methods too, because it's something I may be good at.

Markov is the other way around, promises to be good but my lack of ability and then eventually enthusiasm for probability will probably eventually put me off.
I'm looking forward to QM and Markov too, although I haven't decided if I'm going to bother with lectures for them yet. Markov chains seems distinctly book learnable.
harr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All pure courses for me next term. I'll probably take Applied Probability in the term after though.
I'm looking forward to QM and Markov too, although I haven't decided if I'm going to bother with lectures for them yet. Markov chains seems distinctly book learnable.
Both had notes available online last year. I ended up going to about four lectures for those courses combined. (Given that I didn't really read the notes either this was a bad idea.)
around
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Geometry and GRM look to be fairly interesting. Having said that, none of the Mich courses really look terrifically appealing.
SimonM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by harr)
All pure courses for me next term.
I'm turning green around the edges.

@around: Complex Analysis is also good.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Delaying stats for a year. Doing QM, don't know any physics about waves or any off that stuff. Only know maths. Went to first lecture. Mathematics was terribly unrigor and made no sense.

Apart from that everything fine.

P.S. Might have to start asking questions about physics in maths or physics section.

QM looks fun.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've got linear algebra, differential equations and fundamentals of applied maths. Then later on some solar theory and lagrangian and hamiltonian dynamics.
jj193
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Went to first lecture...made no sense.

Apart from that everything fine.
ILU
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
I've got linear algebra, differential equations and fundamentals of applied maths. Then later on some solar theory and lagrangian and hamiltonian dynamics.
Whats the difference between Lagrangian and hamiltonian dynamics and classical mechanics? I assume you don't do QM in lagrangian, but QM in hamiltonian dynamics.

(Original post by jj193)
ILU
In my defense the first quote from the lecturer was that if you aren't confused, then you don't understand QM. Clearly, that implies I understand it.

P.S. Anybody got any notes on QM? As the stupid system isn't giving me the notes for the course I'm doing.
alexs2602
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Vitruvius)
There's actually a section there entitled 'Confusion at noon and midnight'. Looks like you have not read the article whose link you've posted.
I suspect you are also one of those who expect maths students to be mental calculators?
Well considering maths is by far the easiest subject for me and I'm normally pretty(subjective obviously) quick with calculations along with knowing how to tell the time I would say yes, I do expect maths students to be mental calculators. I haven't known anyone to confuse pm and am in my experiences so that confusion while logical doesnt seem to occur often.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well considering maths is by far the easiest subject for me and I'm normally pretty(subjective obviously) quick with calculations along with knowing how to tell the time I would say yes, I do expect maths students to be mental calculators. I haven't known anyone to confuse pm and am in my experiences so that confusion while logical doesnt seem to occur often.
you bore moi
alexs2602
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
you bore moi
Sure, if you say so, I'm past caring.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Are you sure? As according to google search I just did it is ambigous.
Well, I always thought of it this way: if you were were second past midday, you're in the afternoon. This is why the whole minute of 12:00 at midday is counted as pm.
Similarly, at one second past midnight, you are in the morning. So the whole minute of 00:00... etc. However, no way am I arguing with Wikipedia.
(Original post by IrrationalNumber)
This sentence cries out for a penis joke.

And in other news, I'm going back up to Durham tomorrow. Woooo.
Slumpy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm thinking most of the pure courses, and PDEs this term. Also get a clash next term because I wanna do rep theory and further complex methods. Boo to the timetable!
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I might be taking it, I haven't decided between measure theory and algebraic geometry.
From what I can tell from final year options at Warwick, measure theory is infinitely more useful.

Warwick's Markov Chains paper was horrible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise