Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Fabregas will be back for the Sunderland game?( Or the Orient game?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    At the end of the day you play a system that highlights attacking talent and exposes defensive frailties. Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie etc wouldn't perform as well in another team but equally Sagna, Kos, Clichey etc would perform a lot better. At some point you Arsenal fans will have to accept this. There is no quick fix like new signings or a new defensive coach.
    This is a top summary. Absolutely spot on.

BUT that is not to say that fewer goals can't be conceded with the same tactics. The midfield and attack need to accept a lot more responsibility for not giving the defence more protection in two ways: a) defending from the front and hounding the opposition players like Barcelona do, b) keeping possession a lot more when in the lead and not making as many sloppy passes as they have been this season. The opposition don't have the ball, they can't hurt you...at least in terms of goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlasticBag)
    Song also looks jaded. I really think we should have got cover/ competition for that area of the pitch. THis is not a snap reaction etc, I think weve needed cover and competition for song for a while now. This was proven by Wengers chase for Inler and Melo. Song, Melo/ Inler, denilson, wilshere diaby is more than enough for that area of the midfield. Yes, one or two may leave, but football is a dog eat dog sport, and if they arent prepared to slug it out, let them leave.
    Totally agree but bear in mind Wenger had expected Emmanuel Frimpong to develop into Song's backup this year. Unfortunately he injured his cruciate ligaments at the start of the season and won't be back until next season. That's why we don't have any cover in defensive midfield at the moment, but hopefully he will repay Wenger's trust in him by stepping up next season.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, the cup was not important. I am glad we lost as I don't want people to think winning the Carling Cup is an acceptable achievement which warrants another 5 trophy-less years. Having said that the players wanted to win, and they didn't.

The reason being simple, Arsenal have no passion and this can be measure by the following.

Robin Van Persie gets a knock and comes off.
    Roger Johnson gets a knock, plays the 90 minutes and after the game says, "I was never coming off".

Arsenal have no leadership, no passion and no hunger. The only person on the pitch that looked frustrated with his mistakes and misses was Nasri.

Now, 8th and 12th of March, Nou Camp and Old Trafford. Unlikely to come away with anything in those two games, and assuming we don't win the Premiership I ask the following to you. Are we still content and happy with the management and leadership from Arsene Wenger?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this loss improves the mental strength of the team and motivates them to beat Barcelona and win the Fa cup at the very least. Even if we had won the Carling cup today, rival fans would say we didn't deserve it and were lucky die to Scenzy not being sent off in the first half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    The reason being simple, Arsenal have no passion and this can be measure by the following.

Roger Johnson gets a knock, plays the 90 minutes and after the game says, "I was never coming off".
    That sounds very noble and all, but there's every chance that if van Persie stays on the full 90 he completely buggers up his leg, causing him to miss the season. If that had happened, you'd be calling Wenger an idiot for risking such an important player in a relatively unimportant fixture.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, the cup was not important. I am glad we lost as I don't want people to think winning the Carling Cup is an acceptable achievement which warrants another 5 trophy-less years. Having said that the players wanted to win, and they didn't.

Arsenal have no leadership, no passion and no hunger. The only person on the pitch that looked frustrated with his mistakes and misses was Nasri.

Now, 8th and 12th of March, Nou Camp and Old Trafford. Unlikely to come away with anything in those two games, and assuming we don't win the Premiership I ask the following to you. Are we still content and happy with the management and leadership from Arsene Wenger?
    Your logic is flawed mate. Johnson probably didnt come of because it was able to run of the inury. Gardner went of with a knee problem, is he less of a man than johnson? No. Some injuries mean you have to come of. Van P. also has a history of injury problems and to be honest, we have bigger fish to fry than the Carling Cup. Roger Johnson stayed on because its arguably the biggest game of his career. Van persie has played in a world cup final, and is arguably going to play in one of the biggest games in world football in a matter of weeks, Arsenal v Barcelona. Roger Johnson is going to battle to stay in the PL. THis is by no means a diss on Johnson, hes a good player, but is he playing the level of football Van p is? No.

Everyone looked angry, I think the only reason your singling him out is because he squared up to some Brum players. People show passion in differeny ways, Clichy shows it by never stopping running, Wilshere shows it by squaring up to players, Fabregas shows it by the way he leads by example, Van P shows it through his feistiness.

I agree, we arbuagly miss the classic example of leadership, which in all fairness is the most important, but to say we lack leadership is just plain stupidity. We have leaders and thats shown by our wins against Barca and us staying within reach of Man u in the PL. Where are chelsea in the PL? and dont they have Terry, a 'natural born leader' ?

Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I was looking out for the tracking back. Nasri, surprisingly poor. Arshavin, pathetic as he was a month ago. Song was shocking. Rosicky's days in English football are numbered. Just because you beat Barcelona in 90 minutes doesn't automatically mean you're going to cruise past teams like Birmingham or even Leyton Orient. The most frustrating thing is the lack of intensity with the pressing -- it was nowhere near the level it was against Barcelona. Wenger talks about 'tiredness' but we've had 5 days to recover since Stoke and a couple of key players back so I don't think that counts.

I go on about the guy a lot -- because he's ****in' brilliant and a proper gooner --
    but we need 11 players that care as much as Jack. Again, today, he never stopped running, gave it everything and was Arsenal's best player (although the competition wasn't tough really, was it?). He deserves teammates that put in the extra effort that he does. I know some fans might say it's only the league cup (although I think I'm in the minority, actually...most really wanted us to win), but try telling that to Wilshere when he was in tears. Local lad playing in his Wembley final -- I'm gutted for him...but I'm sure he'll get plenty more chances.
    Exactly. The tracking back was so poor, especially in the 1st half. I didn't understand why Rosicky started instead of Diaby or why he didn't come off at half-time because he was appalling in the 1st half.
    Wilshere was distraught!. There was a moment just after martins scored and the camera caught wilshere (angrily?) staring at koscielny for quite some minutes, this just showed how much the match meant to him.

ReputationRep:

This definitely makes the top 5 stupidest things i've ever read. Making RVP play injured considering how many games we have in the next couple of weeks would be about as clever as replacing jack with squallici.

ReputationRep:

Makes no sense, considering the amount of big games we have left. Anyway, he did his job and he just came back from a injury so it makes complete sense for him getting subbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial Blitz)
    A nice trophy to collect tommorow
    LOL.
    (Original post by badger-man)
    Arsenal 3-0 Birmingham

Eboué hat-trick :rofl:
    I seriously think that'll be the score though.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    The game should off been over for Arsenal in the 1st 5 mins. Karma came back to take you down and acceded.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think I'd feel this bad about losing the carling cup.
    DAMN.
    Then again , I saw this one coming and was never optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    Feel terrible for Jack, he was incredibly upset.

When Cesc is out, we really do need someone else taking up that position. Wilshere or Nasri at the moment it has to be. I hope Ramsey gets back to his best though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Feel terrible for Jack, he was incredibly upset.

When Cesc is out, we really do need someone else taking up that position. Wilshere or Nasri at the moment it has to be. I hope Ramsey gets back to his best though.
    Props to Eboue after the match, putting an arm round him and supporting him. He's been their twice before, he knows. Eboue has his critics but his passion for Arsenal and the team are unquestionable. Always applauds the fans even when he's not playing, last player to leave the pitch.

The dust has settled a little bit. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we weren't good enough on the day. It was nerves more than anything else. We've got 2 very winnable games coming up, we just need to keep our heads put in a solid performance, keep our players fit and hope Cesc, Robin and Theo are bac kfor the Nou Camp. It'd be an unrivalled misfortune to be missing those players, just like we did last year over there.

ReputationRep:
    The chances of all those things happening is less than 50%.

If the dreaded thing happens and Arsenal win the treble are you content and happy with the management and leadership from Arsene Wenger? Doubt it

ReputationRep:

Jack Wilshere will be our future captain IMO. He looked up for it yesterday and being local makes it all the better.

On another note Rosicky is horrible, he is not fluid enough for our attack, goes for the simple ball then when he tries to the impossible (for his standards) he fluffs it.

I hope we sell him, our 2nd string is so so so poor compared to our first XI

ReputationRep:
    Wenger messed it up yesterday. Playing Rosicky basically threw the game away. Not only did it mean Bendtner was benched, someone who would've provided an aerial threat and a target, but also put a substandard player in the important AMC position. You need somone there that can either go on decent runs or can make incisive passes. Rosicky can't do anything and although he used to be good he's way past it. We had no creativity and nothing going forward as a result. As soon as Bendtner came on he started to make things happen and could've scored. Clichy also needs to learn that we have a defensive line and he's supposed to play people offside, you'd have thought after playing Villa on for Barca's goal 2 weeks ago he might've worked on it but no, on several occassions he was there playing everyone onside.

This team has serious problems dealing with pressure and the closing down yesterday was abysmal. Only RvP and Wilshere can come out of it with any credit, it looks like Nasri's been rushed back or something because since his injury he's been pretty much awful. The Sunderland match on Saturday will be huge, I'd say just as important as the Barcelona match. It looks like we'll be without Cesc, Theo and Van Persie and if we drop points we could easily find ourselves out of the title race, especially if United get results against Chelsea and Liverpool.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of our promising youth players - especially the ones on loan - take on the responsibility of a second string in the not-too-distant future.

ReputationRep:
      A convincing result against Sunderland is more important than at Nou Camp. If the performance is nervy and not tension-free, then it might feel as the players have not overcome yesterday's match.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.