Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmedic178)
    Thank you so much!! I am trying to choose between Bristol and Exeter. I heart that Exeter wants above 650? Do you think I could apply to Exeter or Bristol is a better idea. I also have 7A*s and 3 As.
    Exeter want above 650? Where did you read this?

ReputationRep:
    I got an average of 690 in UKCAT but 3U's at AS, I got predicted 2Ds and a E... I don't know what to do???

ReputationRep:
    I'm really disappointed with my UKCAT results. I was expecting wayyy higher cause Im applying with resits due to a medical condition last year. I got
    VR: 600
    QR: 740
    AR: 770
    SJT: Band 2
    Avg: 703.33

Can someone suggest where I could apply. I did my IBDP and was predicted 41/45 but got 35 due to a medical condition. I'll be rewriting bio and chem hl in november. I know most universities require more than 700 but i barely crossed it and idk what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACockyDreamer)
    I got an average of 690 in UKCAT but 3U's at AS, I got predicted 2Ds and a E... I don't know what to do???
    You need to turn your grades around, take a year out and apply. No offence but there's no chance you get into Med this year, with those grades - take it from a guy who got 4 rejections pre interview because my AS grades were BCCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    You need to turn your grades around, take a year out and apply. No offence but there's no chance you get into Med this year, with those grades - take it from a guy who got 4 rejections pre interview because my AS grades were BCCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you took a year out as well? lol I was predicted really high and got an offer but a medical surgery messed up my final grades adn they told me to apply for 2017 >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas)
    you took a year out as well? lol I was predicted really high and got an offer but a medical surgery messed up my final grades adn they told me to apply for 2017 >.>
    Yea I'm on a gap year rn, about to re-apply for Med. I had chickenpox during my AS exams which kinda messed me up so I had to fix the grades in year 13. You should be fine tbh, plenty of time to revise plus I doubt you're retaking too many exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikram99)
    No dont worry, no offense taken bro. And i completely get where you're coming from. Some teachers recommended I take another course, and maybe follow the postgraduate option. Or if Im really keen on getting in this year, take the BMAT.
    Don't follow the postgrad route. The odds of getting into Med as an undergraduate aren't great and trying to get in as a postgrad they're even worse because it's more competitive. IMO take a year out and focus on getting 3As+ this year and then applying with your achieved grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look a bad ukcat doesn't mean the end of medicine application this year. Apply to unis which aren't ukcat heavy and just take the BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need help. I got 600 Average and Band 1 STJ. I only had 20 or so days to revise for the UKCAT cause of research placement this summer etc
    I am planning applying to foundation year course. At Nottingham, Bristol, UEA and Southampton since i do qualify for those. Pretty disappointed at the 600 average. Is this the end of the road for me? My predicted grades are ABC my GCSEs are not the worst ( in my opinion) 4 A*-A 7Bs and i have taken lots of hospital work experience, done nuffield research placement,crest award, volunteer at children charity and have written a scientific report for GSK this summer.
    I really do not wish to take the graduate entry and i dont believe there are any bmat foundation year courses available.

Any help from those experienced would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeshforce1)
    Guys i need help. I got 600 Average and Band 1 STJ. I only had 20 or so days to revise for the UKCAT cause of research placement this summer etc
    I am planning applying to foundation year course. At Nottingham, Bristol, UEA and Southampton since i do qualify for those. Pretty disappointed at the 600 average. Is this the end of the road for me? My predicted grades are ABC my GCSEs are not the worst ( in my opinion) 4 A*-A 7Bs and i have taken lots of hospital work experience, done nuffield research placement,crest award, volunteer at children charity and have written a scientific report for GSK this summer.
    I really do not wish to take the graduate entry and i dont believe there are any bmat foundation year courses available.

Any help from those experienced would be appreciated.
    My friend got into Southampton last year foundation medicine and his UKCAT score was lower than yours, 592 I think he got. His predicted grades were also the same as yours. I don't know much about foundation courses but I'd say you're in a pretty good position

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into Southampton last year foundation medicine and his UKCAT score was lower than yours, 592 I think he got. His predicted grades were also the same as yours. I don't know much about foundation courses but I'd say you're in a pretty good position

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry i don't understand why you said i am a pretty good position? i feel really bad about the score is there anything else that is likely boost my chances that i am not seeing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas)
    I'm really disappointed with my UKCAT results. I was expecting wayyy higher cause Im applying with resits due to a medical condition last year. I got
    VR: 600
    QR: 740
    AR: 770
    SJT: Band 2
    Avg: 703.33

Can someone suggest where I could apply. I did my IBDP and was predicted 41/45 but got 35 due to a medical condition. I'll be rewriting bio and chem hl in november. I know most universities require more than 700 but i barely crossed it and idk what to do
    Omg I would be so happy with those results!! Would you mind giving a breakdown of how you found each section?

ReputationRep:
    How many people manage to actually finish each section?? VR and AR my timing is pretty good but QR is a joke...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i don't understand why you said i am a pretty good position? i feel really bad about the score is there anything else that is likely boost my chances that i am not seeing?
    Foundation medicine's entry requirements are generally lower than the standard medicine course and I'm pretty sure you meet those requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Foundation medicine's entry requirements are generally lower than the standard medicine course and I'm pretty sure you meet those requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for clarifying. Do you know or know where i can find the ukcat entry cutoff for foundation year courses (even if it is last years) as then i can confirm my other choices.

Thanks bud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    How many people manage to actually finish each section?? VR and AR my timing is pretty good but QR is a joke...
    Don't worry too much about QR in UKCAT/Medify mocks they're way harder than the actual exam. I'd recommend trying UKCAT Ninja's QR questions because I think they're similar to the actual questions in the exam in terms of difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Soooooo i had my UKCAT today and I think it went pretty well. Alot better than i expected coz my mocks were trash.

My results are:
    VR- 520
    QR- 850
    AR- 720
    SJ- Band 2

So tell me if thats good or bad coz I'm not entirely sure what kind of score is considered 'good'. Im hoping to apply to barts and kings college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Yeah 700 is good. They use an average so as long as the average is around 650 it's a good score, and then it gets better after that.
    Some universities use individual scores so take a look at them. Post ur score when u do it and we can tell u how it is.

Do well 👍
    I took my UKCAT just a few hours ago and my average score was 696.
    And induvidual scores are 520 for VR, 850 for QR, 720 for AR and Band 2 in SJ

Are those good enough for universities coz my AS grades were pretty low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaskedLady)
    Soooooo i had my UKCAT today and I think it went pretty well. Alot better than i expected coz my mocks were trash.

My results are:
    VR- 520
    QR- 850
    AR- 720
    SJ- Band 2

So tell me if thats good or bad coz I'm not entirely sure what kind of score is considered 'good'. Im hoping to apply to barts and kings college.
    It's subjective but IMO if you're in the 7th decile then your score is 'good', 8th and 9th decile and your score is 'amazing.' It's more than good enough for Barts and KCL for sure though.

What were you scoring in mocks btw?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clarifying. Do you know or know where i can find the ukcat entry cutoff for foundation year courses (even if it is last years) as then i can confirm my other choices.

Thanks bud
    http://www.kaptest.co.uk/sites/kapte...6%20Entry).pdf

Have a look through this, not sure how useful it is but better than nothing i suppose

ReputationRep:
    It's subjective but IMO if you're in the 7th decile then your score is 'good', 8th and 9th decile and your score is 'amazing.' It's more than good enough for Barts and KCL for sure though.

What were you scoring in mocks btw?
    To see my decile score do i just add up all my scores? But i have **** AS grades soooo my score needs to be more than amazing i guess.

I was getting scores in the 500's in the mocks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.