The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Original post by Authority_Song
Both the Harbaughs are whiney children. They annoy me intensely.

Honk Honk Honk
Reply 5101
Original post by Malevolent
Oh i do i think hes tremendous and the greatest MLB but the fact of the matter is all of it is overshadowing the playoffs and its constantly being brought up and stuff. Media have hopped onto the train like leaches and its just become annoying now.

Everyone loves an hollywood, storybook ending. And it is looking like one is happening right in front of us. So natural for it to overshadow everything else.
Wonder how the game would have gone if Gronk was healthy?
Original post by dgeorge
Wonder how the game would have gone if Gronk was healthy?

Or if i was... :laugh:

The one game i miss it had to be this one. I was in the hospital more worried about the game than the piece of beef lodged in my throat.

Seems a bigger problem was Talib leaving with an injury?
(edited 11 years ago)
Or if i was... :laugh:

The one game i miss it had to be this one. I was in the hospital more worried about the game than the piece of beef lodged in my throat.

Seems a bigger problem was Talib leaving with an injury?

I dunno man, it seems that there simply wasn't anyone to get the ball in the damn endzone. Patriots kept getting deep into Ravens territory, but just couldn't blasted convert that into TD's. But of course, that could be attributed to the Ravens D
Original post by dgeorge
I dunno man, it seems that there simply wasn't anyone to get the ball in the damn endzone. Patriots kept getting deep into Ravens territory, but just couldn't blasted convert that into TD's. But of course, that could be attributed to the Ravens D

Ahh i gathered they struggled with redzone offence and there isn't anyone better then Gronk when it comes to the endzone. Also hear there were some costly drops especially by Wes "butterfingers" Welker
Ahh i gathered they struggled with redzone offence and there isn't anyone better then Gronk when it comes to the endzone. Also hear there were some costly drops especially by Wes "butterfingers" Welker

Yes he did put a couple down, one in particular was costly. I said it before in my earlier post, Welker looked uneasy before the game. Vereen dropped one from about 10 yards that floated over like a beach ball as well.

We lost Kyle Love and Ridley to injury when Bollard nearly took his head off and yeah Talib was a big loss. It was just all so very flat though. Even when I-can't-remember-who-it-was delivered a massive hit on Pitta their TE, there was just nothing. That's the sort of hit that should galvanise a defense and then a team but...nothing.

Twice the Ravens defense gave up 15 yard penalties and we failed to punish them for it.
Reply 5107
My friend is a ravens fan and he put a 5er on them to win the superbowl pre-playoffs and then has had a 5er on them every game so far. #Stacks.

I think they got to the Ravens 25 something like 6 times - they just failed to blasted convert.

And yes, Welker missed an EASY catch on a 3rd down when he wasn't being guarded by anyone, if my memory serves me correctly

Not to mention Danny Woodhead's injury, dealing a blow to what was a decent running game.
Original post by dgeorge
I think they got to the Ravens 25 something like 6 times - they just failed to blasted convert.

And yes, Welker missed an EASY catch on a 3rd down when he wasn't being guarded by anyone, if my memory serves me correctly

Not to mention Danny Woodhead's injury, dealing a blow to what was a decent running game.

Yeah just caught up with the stats, didn't convert enough redzone attempts. Also Welker now back to back seasons where if he caught the ball could have made a difference in the game.

They need a DT who can sometimes draw double teams to free up Chandler Jones and Ninkovich. More Pass rush is needed. The linebackers really struggle in coverage. Great at stuffing the run but when it comes to coverage their pathetic. Also the cornerbacks Marquis Cole and Arrington are not fit to play Cornerbacks. Defense went tits up when Talib went off. We need to get 1 or 2 more cornerbacks and another safety Gregory doesn't cut it. Also one last big down field speed receiver who can stretch the field...

Also have you seen apparently the Browns want to trade for Mallet as much as a first round pick ? O_o
Yeah just caught up with the stats, didn't convert enough redzone attempts. Also Welker now back to back seasons where if he caught the ball could have made a difference in the game.

They need a DT who can sometimes draw double teams to free up Chandler Jones and Ninkovich. More Pass rush is needed. The linebackers really struggle in coverage. Great at stuffing the run but when it comes to coverage their pathetic. Also the cornerbacks Marquis Cole and Arrington are not fit to play Cornerbacks. Defense went tits up when Talib went off. We need to get 1 or 2 more cornerbacks and another safety Gregory doesn't cut it. Also one last big down field speed receiver who can stretch the field...

Also have you seen apparently the Browns want to trade for Mallet as much as a first round pick ? O_o

Yeah, the Pats have had weaknesses in the secondary for a while now, but Belichick seems to disregard this every draft day. As for the receiver, Tavon Austin looks like a good slot guy to replace 'butterfingers' anyway, so maybe the Pats will go for him come April.

I hadn't actually, sounds like a good deal
Proudest moment of this Ravens fan's NFL-watching career :tongue:

I have to say that Welker was monumentally crap last night, Brady was indifferent. Ravens just wanted it more, Pats thought they just had to show up to make it to the Bowl. Standard Patriot arrogance...
Original post by Hedgeman49
Proudest moment of this Ravens fan's NFL-watching career :tongue:

I have to say that Welker was monumentally crap last night, Brady was indifferent. Ravens just wanted it more, Pats thought they just had to show up to make it to the Bowl. Standard Patriot arrogance...

Disagree with you to be honest, other than the fact Ravens wanted it more.

Welker had 8 catches for 117 and a TD. That's great in anybody's book. The only bad play was a drop on an out route. While it was a bad drop and not particularly clutch, we shouldn't expect Welker to catch every single ball ever thrown at him. This ball is also categorically different than the drop against the Giants.

Brady was OK. One of his INTs was tipped, which can happen to anybody. The other wasn't a particularly great throw, but when you're behind 15 with minutes left and with no run game, you have to force it into coverage. He had no choice really. If you turn one-dimensional against a ball-hawking secondary you're pretty much guaranteed to get picked off.

I don't think the arrogance comment is fair either. A team loses so they're arrogant? Why aren't you calling the Falcons arrogant? The truth is, we didn't play well enough. Key injuries and bad plays all over the field cost us. Playing badly isn't arrogant. It's demonstrative of a lack of skill and/or depth. Probably a bit of both in this case.

I get really fired up when people call the Pats arrogant. We get it all the time just because Brady is collected and Belichick is conservative in everything he says. We adjusted our coaching scheme from when we played the Ravens last so we weren't just "expecting to win". We made poor judgements and got outplayed and out-coached, and consequently lost. I'm sick of this double standard that gets shoved on the Pats.
(edited 11 years ago)

Finding myself disagreeing with you too! lol

Welker's drop last season was categorically different to the one on Sunday. He was far more at fault this time around, but its still a bit harsh to expect him to catch every single ball ever. He hardly ever drops. Its a shame it happened to a good guy at a bad time.

Another DT would be nice! FA Henry Melton would be cool, or possibly some talent in the draft could help us out.

Our linebackers aren't that bad in coverage really. Brandon Spikes is a pure run guy who shouldn't be in on passing downs, but overall we are OK. I think they look worse, just like our secondary, because teams are forced to throw on us a lot.

Cole can stay as a nickel guy, and possibly Arrington too if he is on on the cheap. We definitely need another big, physical corner though. Keeping Talib should be a priority.

Gregory does cut it in my opinion. Solid all-rounder with good tackling skills. Might not be an Ed Reed (hopefully we grab Reed in free agency!). Perhaps another starter would be good, but it's not a top priority.

Speed WR is a no no from me as well. 3 Superbowls and 1 loss without a deep receiver, 1 loss with. Even with a ridiculous, historic deep ball offense we couldn't get it done. We need a solid all round team, not one more tiny piece of an already dominant offense (when it doesn't misfire in pathetic fashion).
The Pats probably aren't any more arrogant than any other team, but their fans are. Case in point, this thread. Hence it's funny when they lose.
Finding myself disagreeing with you too! lol

Welker's drop last season was categorically different to the one on Sunday. He was far more at fault this time around, but its still a bit harsh to expect him to catch every single ball ever. He hardly ever drops. Its a shame it happened to a good guy at a bad time.

Another DT would be nice! FA Henry Melton would be cool, or possibly some talent in the draft could help us out.

Our linebackers aren't that bad in coverage really. Brandon Spikes is a pure run guy who shouldn't be in on passing downs, but overall we are OK. I think they look worse, just like our secondary, because teams are forced to throw on us a lot.

Cole can stay as a nickel guy, and possibly Arrington too if he is on on the cheap. We definitely need another big, physical corner though. Keeping Talib should be a priority.

Gregory does cut it in my opinion. Solid all-rounder with good tackling skills. Might not be an Ed Reed (hopefully we grab Reed in free agency!). Perhaps another starter would be good, but it's not a top priority.

Speed WR is a no no from me as well. 3 Superbowls and 1 loss without a deep receiver, 1 loss with. Even with a ridiculous, historic deep ball offense we couldn't get it done. We need a solid all round team, not one more tiny piece of an already dominant offense (when it doesn't misfire in pathetic fashion).

I think Gregory is just a back up, he wiffs on tackles so much like hes paid to miss them. We need some sort of Receiver who can stretch the field, too many defenses play us physical in the middle of the field so that our receivers crap when they go across the middle. Get Matt Elam from the Gators that kid is a nasty safety.

We did pick up that guy from the CFL who a few people have said is the equivalent of a high draft pick. Armond Armstead i think was his name.

Pick up a new cornerback as well someone who keeps Arrington away from the outside if Talib or Dennard went down injured.

Keep Talib, Volmer, Edelman, Woodhead, Arrington (if cheap)

Let Chung and the other dead weights go.

Not sure about Welker since he might ask for more than the Patriots would be willing to give.
Disagree with you to be honest, other than the fact Ravens wanted it more.

Welker had 8 catches for 117 and a TD. That's great in anybody's book. The only bad play was a drop on an out route. While it was a bad drop and not particularly clutch, we shouldn't expect Welker to catch every single ball ever thrown at him. This ball is also categorically different than the drop against the Giants.

Brady was OK. One of his INTs was tipped, which can happen to anybody. The other wasn't a particularly great throw, but when you're behind 15 with minutes left and with no run game, you have to force it into coverage. He had no choice really. If you turn one-dimensional against a ball-hawking secondary you're pretty much guaranteed to get picked off.

I don't think the arrogance comment is fair either. A team loses so they're arrogant? Why aren't you calling the Falcons arrogant? The truth is, we didn't play well enough. Key injuries and bad plays all over the field cost us. Playing badly isn't arrogant. It's demonstrative of a lack of skill and/or depth. Probably a bit of both in this case.

I get really fired up when people call the Pats arrogant. We get it all the time just because Brady is collected and Belichick is conservative in everything he says. We adjusted our coaching scheme from when we played the Ravens last so we weren't just "expecting to win". We made poor judgements and got outplayed and out-coached, and consequently lost. I'm sick of this double standard that gets shoved on the Pats.

Welker actually leads the league in dropped passes this year. He's turned from a must-cover threat into a distinctly average WR. Whilst he puts up insane numbers in terms of yardage, that's only because Brady throws to him ALL THE TIME. He had two key drops in the championship game. He just isn't clutch at all.

I guess it's Pats fans that are worse than the Pats themselves, the sense of entitlement, thinking "we deserve to be in the SB every single year". The billboard about Ray's retirement party pretty much sums it up. The only year they weren't like that in recent memory was 2008 after the whole 18-and-d'oh and Brady's injury. I guess this attitude was justified in the early 00s but hey, you guys haven't won one in 8 years now. You're turning into the Dallas Cowboys, living in the 90s.

Yes Brady didn't have the worst game of all time and his first INT was unlucky, but when he IS the Patriots that's not good enough. That picture of him on his ass looking dejected sums it up, he wasn't a leader that night. Flacco on the other hand is looking more and more confident, and is truly leading the offense with the help of Boldin and Rice, and obviously with support from 52 and Reed on the other side of the ball. 52 is doing a great job of handing over the leadership of the team to Flacco.

The Falcons and their fans are well aware of their limitations, and weren't that bad because they respected the 49ers and didn't feel they would breeze the game.
Original post by Hedgeman49
Welker actually leads the league in dropped passes this year. He's turned from a must-cover threat into a distinctly average WR. Whilst he puts up insane numbers in terms of yardage, that's only because Brady throws to him ALL THE TIME. He had two key drops in the championship game. He just isn't clutch at all.

I guess it's Pats fans that are worse than the Pats themselves, the sense of entitlement, thinking "we deserve to be in the SB every single year". The billboard about Ray's retirement party pretty much sums it up. The only year they weren't like that in recent memory was 2008 after the whole 18-and-d'oh and Brady's injury. I guess this attitude was justified in the early 00s but hey, you guys haven't won one in 8 years now. You're turning into the Dallas Cowboys, living in the 90s.

Yes Brady didn't have the worst game of all time and his first INT was unlucky, but when he IS the Patriots that's not good enough. That picture of him on his ass looking dejected sums it up, he wasn't a leader that night. Flacco on the other hand is looking more and more confident, and is truly leading the offense with the help of Boldin and Rice, and obviously with support from 52 and Reed on the other side of the ball. 52 is doing a great job of handing over the leadership of the team to Flacco.

The Falcons and their fans are well aware of their limitations, and weren't that bad because they respected the 49ers and didn't feel they would breeze the game.

The game went tits up when Talib left id say. I do agree Welker drops so many balls that are catch-able. He makes the one in the bowl last year we win. Also Hernandez and Lloyd are scared of getting hit. Unlike Gronkowski they wilt when there's a hit coming. I don't think anyone with sense thought the Patriots would cruise considering the Ravens went into Milehigh and won there.
I think Gregory is just a back up, he wiffs on tackles so much like hes paid to miss them. We need some sort of Receiver who can stretch the field, too many defenses play us physical in the middle of the field so that our receivers crap when they go across the middle. Get Matt Elam from the Gators that kid is a nasty safety.

We did pick up that guy from the CFL who a few people have said is the equivalent of a high draft pick. Armond Armstead i think was his name.

Pick up a new cornerback as well someone who keeps Arrington away from the outside if Talib or Dennard went down injured.

Keep Talib, Volmer, Edelman, Woodhead, Arrington (if cheap)

Let Chung and the other dead weights go.

Not sure about Welker since he might ask for more than the Patriots would be willing to give.

Agree to disagree on Gregory. I don't think he's pro-bowl calibre, but he's decent enough to start for now. A bit of depth to develop would be nice.

Keep Talib, Woodhead, Arrington (if cheap) - I agree.

Edelman is a maybe. Again depends on price. I imagine BB will pay for his flexibility.

Vollmer is up in the air too. He's a good tackle. I stress good. If he wants top-tier tackle money I reckon BB trades him or lets him go depending on if he is up this off season. We have Marcus Cannon who we can develop.

Don't know much about this Armstead guy, but lets hope BB does.

Agree about Chung, etc. Also not sure about Welker. I say we keep him. He does his job consistently and has a great rapport and friendship with Brady.

Latest