Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I have to say this has to be my favorite Christmas special and my favorite episode including Capaldi. I adore River Song and that ending was perfect! I really enjoyed the dynamic between capaldi and river, much more than capaldi and Clara; and think for the first time the episode balanced out humor and drama well. Yes it wasn't a villain centric episode, but I still enjoyed learning more about the relationship between the doctor and river. Her speech about how she loves the doctor and how she felt he didn't love her back was beautiful, and I seriously would love to see her back. I'm still hoping that the doctor does find a way to save her and bring her back as a companion every now and again...but I don't see that happening. I think if this was river's final episode I would be satisfied with her end because there was closure and we all know that she is heading to the library next so it does complete the cycle....

Overall I am really pleased with this episode and am finally enjoying watching capaldi as the doctor!!!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    For someone who actually hates River Song, I was surprised to find I quite enjoyed that episode (apart from the final bit with the text!)

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    For someone who actually hates River Song, I was surprised to find I quite enjoyed that episode (apart from the final bit with the text!)
    Exactly! I don't like River, but she and 12 actually had quite a lot of chemistry and it made their scenes sometimes enjoyable

And oh, yes - what even was that text? Wasn't a fan.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...-asked-me-yet/

There will be a Clara spinoff next year apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Questioner1234)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Called it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was as good as past Christmas episodes hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh Great more Clara! Why can't there be a spin of showing what happens in the 27 years that River and the doctor spend together - that's a show I would personally love to watch!

(Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Oh Great more Clara! Why can't there be a spin of showing what happens in the 27 years that River and the doctor spend together - that's a show I would personally love to watch!
    Yeah:daydreaming:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    People realise that isn't a clara spinoff right? There's absolutely no mention of her being in it for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    People realise that isn't a clara spinoff right? There's absolutely no mention of her being in it for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. It isn't a Clara spinoff.
    Yeah, Steven Moffat lies but he said Clara's story is done. Jenna Coleman wants to do other things.
    Can't remember where it's been mentioned but it has been said that it is a new set of characters. Own show, related to Doctor Who. It will be like The Sarah Jane Adventures where the Doctor can appear in a few episodes when they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...capaldi-appear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Didn't notice these strong references back to the 10th doctor:

https://youtu.be/t-wgLFj6bbI
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Robot King looked exactly like Baymax from big hero six!

I got bored of waiting for her to realise who he was, but the last 10 minutes? Oh my goodness :heart:

Also, as an archaeology graduate, I love the idea of a sonic trowel!
    And Baymax looked like a generic Japanese anime stereotypical robot, nothing new there really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyJP)
    Didn't notice these strong references back to the 10th doctor:

https://youtu.be/t-wgLFj6bbI
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me neither, actually, that's a very good video to summarise her death.

I've only just watched the Christmas special, but I have to say that I thought it was fantastic. I especially loved it when The Doctor got to pretend he didn't know that the Tardis was bigger on the inside and he was saying "Finally! It's my turn!". Found it a bit odd that River didn't pick up on all the "Doctor" references that Capaldi kept making, but then when you've been told that he only has 12 regenerations I suppose she has to assume that he's not him.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35388748

Moffat to leave in Spring 2017 and be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.

Interesting development.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm more bothered by the radio times report suggesting that we'll just get a Christmas special this year with the next series in 2017 so moffats final series can be a special event for the fans. Ffs - show runner leaving is not a special event :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm more bothered by the radio times report suggesting that we'll just get a Christmas special this year with the next series in 2017 so moffats final series can be a special event for the fans. Ffs - show runner leaving is not a special event :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait ... what?! :facepalm:

There's a reason I've stayed away from Sherlock, FGS. I seriously hope they're not going to try this crap with DW.

Also, the only special thing about Moffat leaving is the fact Moffat will be leaving. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    Wait ... what?! :facepalm:

There's a reason I've stayed away from Sherlock, FGS. I seriously hope they're not going to try this crap with DW.

Also, the only special thing about Moffat leaving is the fact Moffat will be leaving. :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what the BBC article suggests also.

"His last series will go out in spring 2017 following a Christmas special, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall."

I understand Capaldi wanted less Dr. Who episodes or something along those lines, but the next series of Dr. Who being in Spring 2017 is quite bizarre.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    And with sherlock probably not being on this year either after the new year special what will Moffat be doing?

Making us wait is not a special event - it's just annoying
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I am so so so so so glad he's leaving. Maybe Doctor Who can get back to the good old days now! Fighting monsters, saving planets, adventures and excitement all nicely finished in an episode (or sometimes a very neat 2 parter). No more impossible girls that never really got explained, no more Me... Yayyyyy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.