The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Original post by Selu
Rejected for law. I applied in mid October and It took them nearly 4 months and all possible emails (2week, 5week, 4week strongest, etc) to let me know that: your subject combination, whilst good, is not as good as the combinations offered by other similar applicants for your programme. If it is so (by any means I don't deny it), wasn't that clear back in October?

This is crazy! how can they do this! i thought their admissions website would have clarified what subjects are the essentials ones for whatever course. is it because you are not doing all the essential subjects they have listed for your course?
(edited 10 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Selu
Rejected for law. I applied in mid October and It took them nearly 4 months and all possible emails (2week, 5week, 4week strongest, etc) to let me know that: your subject combination, whilst good, is not as good as the combinations offered by other similar applicants for your programme. If it is so (by any means I don't deny it), wasn't that clear back in October?

I'm sorry for your rejection. Sorry if I'm being callous but it probably wasn't clear in October. Since it took them nearly 4 months to let you know, they were probably waiting for the rest of the applications to trickle in (mid-Jan is the deadline) so they could give fair consideration and compare you to later applications. If it's any consolation, they kept your application around this long - meant that they really did think you were a strong applicant but in the end, other applicants' profiles won out.
Look, I hate to be insensitive when people are getting rejections, but try not to take these rejections too personally.

To those questioning why LSE took XYZ months/weeks to respond to them, it's not because LSE is trying to troll you or play games with you. They were seriously considering your application, and holding on to them so that they could be assessed against other incoming and later applications. They probably thought your applications were strong, but they had to wait to see what the profiles of other later applicants were like.

LSE receives over 2000 law applications and they don't all come at the same time. They have to give fair consideration to all on-time applications (i.e. those who applied in January) so it makes sense that it takes them a while before coming to a decision.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5103
Original post by gracelich
Oh no!!! It's rejection Friday :frown:. Spare me LSE! Sorry to the people that have just been rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, have you applied to ucl? if so have you had any correspondence from them so far?
Reply 5104
If life gives you lemons, then put lse on fire.
Reply 5105
Btw. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.
Reply 5106
Original post by Selu

What subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5107
Original post by ida3388
This is crazy! how can they do this! i thought their admissions website would have clarified what subjects are the essentials ones for whatever course. is it because you are not doing all the essential subjects they have listed for your course?

I'm from the continental education background ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(school) ) and we have no such thing as A-levels. You leave "grammer school" at the age of 19, so you spent more years in your pre-uni education and the concept of education differs.

Now I'm in the second year at the University whereas I study law (Here across the channel It takes five years to complete, you can't be LLB, only LLM). That is the reason why I question the importency of my subject combination I had back in my "grammer school". Plus I could chose only 2 subjects, the others were compulsory.
Original post by ida3388
hey, have you applied to ucl? if so have you had any correspondence from them so far?

Yes, I applied for V104 at UCL. I sent back my History questionnaire on 25th January, and they acknowledged they received it on 31st Jan. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by orangejuice.
Look, I hate to be insensitive when people are getting rejections, but try not to take these rejections too personally.

To those questioning why LSE took XYZ months/weeks to respond to them, it's not because LSE is trying to troll you or play games with you. They were seriously considering your application, and holding on to them so that they could be assessed against other incoming and later applications. They probably thought your applications were strong, but they had to wait to see what the profiles of other later applicants were like.

LSE receives over 2000 law applications and they don't all come at the same time. They have to give fair consideration to all on-time applications (i.e. those who applied in January) so it makes sense that it takes them a while before coming to a decision.

How would this apply to those who have been invited to the UGAA exam? do LSE already know whether our application is successful or not?
Reply 5110
Original post by lisa96
Rejection for Law. Received the email at 15.59.

"Previous examination performance is one of the criteria used by our Admissions Selectors when considering whether or not to make an offer and your GCSE or equivalent grades, whilst good, are not as competitive as those achieved by other similar applicants."

What did you get at GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dutchie1
Hahaha, nice one. Waited 8 weeks though after strongest in cycle mail. Personal statement was the reason. Wrote for ppe and explicitly stated i wanted to do ppe. So can imagine thats the reason

which course did you apply for? I wrote a ppe statement too for philosophy and economics.
Reply 5112
rejected for IR. gutted :frown:
Original post by trikszi
rejected for IR. gutted :frown:

when did you get the email?
Well I just got an offer from UCL for History, which will soften the LSE rejection when I get it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, been following this thread since I applied for Accounting & Finance on the 15th Jan. I got rejected last year but, after attaining A*A*A*A in Maths, Law, Accounting and Business at A Level, I thought I would give it one last shot. Unfortunately, at 3.49pm, I was rejected again. The reason: subject combination.

However, on their Acc & Finance page they propose that: Maths is studied by "the majority of successful applicants"; furthermore, "many successful applicants" study Accounting and an essay based subject (which Law is), and finally "other subjects often studied" include Business.

Not the best reasoning perhaps, but, after 2 rejections, I am now at peace with the fact that LSE is out of my reach.

Best of luck to you all, I've enjoyed following the thread and will continue to do so :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5116
Original post by bshrestha
when did you get the email?

about an hour ago
Original post by Nurse-wannabe
How would this apply to those who have been invited to the UGAA exam? do LSE already know whether our application is successful or not?

I believe the same applies. I can't say with full certainty because I'm an applicant, just like you. But from what I've gleaned, LSE's admissions operates using various rounds of the gathered field method. Applications are kept and continually assessed against other applications. For those who received early (November-December) decisions, it's likely that LSE believed that regardless of when these applicants applied be it November of January, these applicants would definitely receive an offer. Hence they were given offers relatively quickly. The less sure they are about your application, they longer they will hold onto it - not to troll you, but to compare you against other applicants.

For those invited to sit the UGAA, I think it means LSE is still unsure about your application and needs more information before making a decision. Your application will still be compared against various cohorts of other applicants they're unsure about, so I wouldn't worry, it will still be considered fairly and equally.

Bear in mind that many of the decisions received today and yesterday were from October/early-November applicants. I think many later-November and December applicants have yet to receive decisions. This is a good thing! It means they're still considering you! Also, it's not uncommon for October applications to receive decisions (both rejections and offers) in March and so if you were invited to sit the UGAA, your application might still be compared against those October applications they were unsure of as well!

To those still waiting, no news is good news. I realise the wait is frustrating but take it as a good sign that LSE is still considering you.
Reply 5118
Original post by rickpatel89
its good to see another econ hist with econ applicant, most students seem keen to major in econ as opposed to econ hist.

if you don't mind me asking, what sort of things did you talk about in your statement, how did you link the respective fields together?

Haha same to you, feels like no one has applied to econ hist as the major on here! Err mainly by discussing the ways in which economic factors influence historical occurrences and then by considering how much we have to learn from past economic historical mistakes
Original post by Nurse-wannabe

Judging from the people who have received rejections, nearly all people across all depts seem to have been told 'Sorry, your academic profile was good but your PS just didn't cut the mustard'

With that in mind, the way I'm interpreting the UGAA invite (I've had it, too) is 'Well, your PS is certainly good enough but you're not studying A levels (either because you're mature or foreign) so we'll judge our academic ability for ourselves thank you very much'

It's probably very simplistic and over enthusiastic of me, but my mindset here is...if I don't **** the UGAA up, I have a very good chance of receiving an offer.

I mean, if the PS isn't good enough for an offer then they wouldn't invite you to the UGAA, so it's just down to:

1) How intelligent you are
2) How effective you are in exam conditions (which is how most of LSE grade their students)

Quick Reply

Latest