Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Done too much history. Started to dislike Hippocrates

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, I don't think I like any of them anymore. Not even Louis Pasteur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Haha, I don't think I like any of them anymore. Not even Louis Pasteur.
    Haha. But galen is the ultimate bell end though. Taking credit for others work and publishing incorrect things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha. But galen is the ultimate bell end though. Taking credit for others work and publishing incorrect things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :eek: Exactly my thoughts! Me and my friends were saying yesterday how he didn't really help medicine, more like regressed it. I can't wait until the end of my history exams...then again, maybe I'll end up weeping over how badly I've done. -.-

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Exactly my thoughts! Me and my friends were saying yesterday how he didn't really help medicine, more like regressed it. I can't wait until the end of my history exams...then again, maybe I'll end up weeping over how badly I've done. -.-
    Can't wait till theyre all over. then its months of crying over how badly ive done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't really blame him though.. human dissections weren't allowed so it's logical to assume that animal anatomy is similar to human anatomy because they are both alive. There wasn't exactly any other theories around.

It's not Galen's fault that nobody had challenged him until Vesalius. It's societies unquestioning attitude.
    And I don't agree with him regressing it, It's more stagnation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)

It's not Galen's fault that nobody had challenged him until Vesalius. It's societies unquestioning attitude.
    True I guess, but I don't think he should have assumed that his ideas were right. He did prove the brain controlled the body though, and at least he emphasised the need for clinical observation. I like Vesalius. Even if he is a bit creepy for stealing bodies and the like :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait till theyre all over. then its months of crying over how badly ive done

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here, same here :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have an android who types by just swiping along the keyboard? I've just discovered how it works!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use it mixed with my normal typing... It's weird how I type... It's touch and then swype mixed with predictive

ReputationRep:

I think it was mainly the churches fault for only teaching galens ideas and punishing anyone who dared to challenge galens ideas. Vesalius was awesome this convo is actually really good history revision ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahiscool)
    I think it was mainly the churches fault for only teaching galens ideas and punishing anyone who dared to challenge galens ideas. Vesalius was awesome this convo is actually really good history revision ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They only taught Galen's ideas because it was the only ideas that were around at the time. I'm not sure if they had a choice... I'd also like to point out that Galen appealed to them because he acknowledged that there was a God, which corresponded to Christianity and Islam. Seeing as he embraced their views they were more likely to respect him.
    I don't think they punished anyone who challenged Galen. Science at the time was pretty much banned, so if anyone was caught doing Science (let alone trying to disprove Galen) they would have most likely been killed.

Vesalius was awesome :awesome: and creepy . If it wasn't for the printing press he wouldn't have received much recognition though...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They only taught Galen's ideas because it was the only ideas that were around at the time. I'm not sure if they had a choice... I'd also like to point out that Galen appealed to them because he acknowledged that there was a God, which corresponded to Christianity and Islam. Seeing as he embraced their views they were more likely to respect him.
    I don't think they punished anyone who challenged Galen. Science at the time was pretty much banned, so if anyone was caught doing Science (let alone trying to disprove Galen) they would have most likely been killed.

Vesalius was awesome :awesome: and creepy . If it wasn't for the printing press he wouldn't have received much recognition though...
    Reading all this and recognising that I've revised it makes me smile Yep, definitely good revision

ReputationRep:

I definitely read someone got punished once . Oh god I haven't revised printing press yet :/ thanks for the reminder. I think you have the same textbook as me haha you sound exactly like it
    Also how much roman stuff do we need to know , I'm pretty sure I just spent ages revising it for no reason urghh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I definitely read someone got punished once . Oh god I haven't revised printing press yet :/ thanks for the reminder. I think you have the same textbook as me haha you sound exactly like it
    Also how much roman stuff do we need to know , I'm pretty sure I just spent ages revising it for no reason urghh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Johann Gutenburg, 1454! :woo: (Even though I'm on AQA)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Purple CGP book? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Yep, as well as a couple of other textbooks my teacher lent us

ReputationRep:
    Yup I also have three amazing textbooks ( my school are very keen and like to give you as many textbooks as possible haha )

ReputationRep:
    Yup I also have three amazing textbooks ( my school are very keen and like to give you as many textbooks as possible haha )
    It was only my History teacher that allowed us to take some

ReputationRep:
    Johann Gutenburg, 1454! :woo: (Even though I'm on AQA)
    I really hope I dont need to know random facts like this i'm sure the AQA course is basically the same as the edexcel one!

ReputationRep:
    It was only my History teacher that allowed us to take some
    Really ? that's so weird , so do you like have to give back textbooks at the end of each lesson ? ... in that case what on earth do you revise from ??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I really hope I dont need to know random facts like this i'm sure the AQA course is basically the same as the edexcel one!
    Haha judging by the convo, it sounds like it! That was just who invented it...it's the only date I remember.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.