Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

It happened last year but I only saw it now.Bill Maker and Sam Harris were being bigots about Islam and this annoyed Ben Affleck and they has a debate.
    http://youtu.be/vln9D81eO60
    Ok thanks for the link.

ReputationRep:
    Assalaamu alaikum

Very slow day today :yes:

What's up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel the same pressure here.I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
    Haha that's cool man. I did the same subjects. AS was harder than A2 for me :yes:

Just keep up the hard work and stay on top of everything. Dont drown

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    Boom in reversions to Islam in France after Charlie Hebdo

http://www.ciibroadcasting.com/2015/...charlie-hebdo/
    It'd would've been good if they gave a more solid source tbh.

(Original post by Tpos)
    I'm guessing it was actually Ibn Fulan trolling on my blog? lol
    :dontknow: :confused:

(Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    It is world pangolin day today
    lolwut

(Original post by Ankabout)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Heroes Come in Three's

Anders Breivik, a Norwegian radical Right-wing Christian, was inspired by people like Robert Spencer, Pamela Gellar and Brigitte Gabriel who say Muslims are violent and want to kill people. He wrote a manifesto naming these hatemongers, and others like them, claiming that Muslims were "taking over". [1]

So what was his solution? He killed 77 people and wounded 151. Most of his victims were Christians from the political left. Many of them were teenagers.

The only people who stood up to him were 3 Muslim teenagers who, like David against Goliath, began throwing stones at him. One hit Breivik hard in the head and he finally shot and killed one of the three. The other two, Movsar Zyamaev and Rustam Daudov, fled and went on to save 23 people during the massacre. [2] When Movsar called his father from his cell phone, his father urged him to be brave and stay and to try and save as many people as he could.

Their heroism was reported by RT, NBC News, the Associated Press and Reuters. Almost no other news outlets picked up on the story.

Anders Breivik proudly turned himself in and said his attack was directed towards Norway's Labour Party because they were allowing Muslims to take over the country. Sound familiar? Dangerously.

He eventually pleaded insanity but was convicted on terrorism charges and sentenced to just 21 years in prison (though there are appeals to keep him in prison for life). Even though he was convicted for terrorism, he is referred to in the media mostly as a "Mass Killer" or "Mass Murderer". He is almost never referred to as a "terrorist".

And Muslims are the problem? A Rubik's Cube can never be solved if you focus on just one color.

[1] "Writers Cited in Breivik Manifesto Have Spoken at US Military Colleges as Anti-Terrorism Experts", by Chris Rodda of the Military Religious Freedom Foundationhttp://www.truth-out.org/opinion/ite...rorism-experts

[2] "Report: Teens Threw Stones at Norway Mass Killer" http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44142988/n...y-mass-killer/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    That's the first I've hear of it, may Allah ta'ala reward them.

(Original post by IdeasForLife)
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...103722697.html

Our countries sell our brothers to scum so easily...

I owe many of you replies, I'll do it when I'm free insha'Allah
    perhaps crop the sides a bit to remove some of the dark background areas and focus more on the centre?

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    It'd would've been good if they gave a more solid source tbh.

:dontknow: :confused:

lolwut

That's the first I've hear of it, may Allah ta'ala reward them.

perhaps crop the sides a bit to remove some of the dark background areas and focus more on the centre?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you muslim?

ReputationRep:
    I popped in today to share with you guys this book (The Reader’s Guide to The Book of Light) for those who want to learn the rules of Tajweed in English. There are also Tajweed books in Arabic but if you can’t speak the language then it’s no benefit to you at all. My teacher bought these books from abroad and they’re very good subhan’Allah. It covers all the rules starting from Beginners Level to Intermediate and lastly Advanced Level. Its original cost is 35 euros but I bought it for £30. I’ve taken a few pictures right now to show you guys. If you want to know more about this book just PM me so that I’d tell you more about it via email
    I recommend it to everyone. Those who would like to teach adults in future, I highly recommend you to have a look at this book. My teacher has been teaching for 10 years now alhamdulillah. The pictures are attached below. Hope you are all doing well

Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

It happened last year but I only saw it now.Bill Maker and Sam Harris were being bigots about Islam and this annoyed Ben Affleck and they has a debate.
    http://youtu.be/vln9D81eO60
    I thought I would voice my opinion as it somewhat diverges from yours.

Sam Harris did raise a point which I think is important and that is that criticism of Islam often gets conflated with bigotry towards Muslims as people. I think this label 'islamophobe' gets thrown around too much. I think such terms can be counter-productive and stifle important debate. That said, there is a lot of bigotry towards Muslims, and one would have to have an agenda to deny it (even Sam Harris acknowledges that this exists within the debate). I think we need a term that better differentiates between both of these.

Ben Affleck annoys me though when he seems to make the point that because Sam Harris is not an expert of Islam, that he can't criticise it. But someone could equally use the same argument back towards him in regards to defending Islam. He also annoys me by bringing race into it. In fact, I don't think I agree with anything Ben Affleck says in that video...

I think Nicholas Kristof (don't know who he is) made a far more cogent point, and that it that some of the main people fighting back against Islamic extremists, are Muslims themselves. So if one wants to label Islam for being the motivating factor for extremists, are they also willing to label Islam as being the motivating factor for those who fight back against those extremists? And Michael Steele adds to this by highlighting that even if the moderates are a minority, they often don't get the media attention and the same platform as the extremists. How often have I seen Anjem Choudary in the media? Too many times sadly, more so than those who represent a less extreme view of Islam.

That said, I do believe that there are teachings within Islam that I disagree with and that I do feel should be up for criticism and I think the attitude presented by Ben Affleck is somewhat counter-productive. I imagine if I was sitting there, I would have been on the receiving end of Ben Affleck's shouting and would have been called an Islamophobe and such >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mary562)
    I popped in today to share with you guys this book (The Reader’s Guide to The Book of Light) for those who want to learn the rules of Tajweed in English. There are also Tajweed books in Arabic but if you can’t speak the language then it’s no benefit to you at all. My teacher bought these books from abroad and they’re very good subhan’Allah. It covers all the rules starting from Beginners Level to Intermediate and lastly Advanced Level. Its original cost is 35 euros but I bought it for £30. I’ve taken a few pictures right now to show you guys. If you want to know more about this book just PM me so that I’d tell you more about it via email
    I recommend it to everyone. Those who would like to teach adults in future, I highly recommend you to have a look at this book. My teacher has been teaching for 10 years now alhamdulillah. The pictures are attached below. Hope you are all doing well

Mary! Good to see you 😃.I see your taking lessons.My teacher been gone since for almost a year and I haven't have any lessons since August .We started a bit of tajweed .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Mary! Good to see you .I see your taking lessons.My teacher been gone since for almost a year and I haven't have any lessons since August .We started a bit of tajweed .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I do every weekend. How much have you covered so far? It's essential you learn Qur'an with tajweed

ReputationRep:

Waalaykum Assalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Mary. Happy to see you post here again. Thanks for telling us about this book. It looks interesting. I'll check it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Waalaykum Assalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Mary. Happy to see you post here again. Thanks for telling us about this book. It looks interesting. I'll check it out.
    Thank you Zayan
    Have to be here for a while atm getting some replies on my other thread and PMs

ReputationRep:

Yes I do every weekend. How much have you covered so far? It's essential you learn Qur'an with tajweed
    A good amount😊.I can't really do any of the sophisticated ones, my knowledge is really basic and I haven't heard from my teacher in almost a year now.
    Not since I was in Ireland have I done any tabled Quran with tajweed lessons that went on for a while, to be honest 😐.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kyoti;53805907]lol yes i've tried salt and orange before it taste good but don't add salt to everything it's really not good for you.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get a cardiovascular disease due to hypertension soon enough:L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    A good amount.I can't really do any of the sophisticated ones, my knowledge is really basic and I haven't heard from my teacher in almost a year now.
    Not since I was in Ireland have I done any tabled Quran with tajweed lessons that went on for a while, to be honest .
    You should have a look at the book it'll help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    A good amount������.I can't really do any of the sophisticated ones, my knowledge is really basic and I haven't heard from my teacher in almost a year now.
    Not since I was in Ireland have I done any tabled Quran with tajweed lessons that went on for a while, to be honest ������.
    Where in ireland

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Zayan
    Have to be here for a while atm getting some replies on my other thread and PMs
    You are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you muslim?
    Yes he is lol!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.