Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Carrick still on the pitch?

ReputationRep:
    Did Carrick touch the ball in the second half?

ReputationRep:
    Watch Tom Huddlestone get a hattrick.

ReputationRep:
    stunning england move that.
    great reverse ball from rooney.

ReputationRep:
    No, it was not.

ReputationRep:
    If this is how we defend/man-mark, we'll get found out by the first half-decent team we face. I've never been a fan of our "nearest man" approach to marking - it gives the opposition players far too much space.

ReputationRep:
    Baines has been poor.

I hope at the WC Capello always picks Lennon over Walcott, that's a no-brainer imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    If this is how we defend/man-mark, we'll get found out by the first half-decent team we face. I've never been a fan of our "nearest man" approach to marking - it gives the opposition players far too much space.
    We haven't been up to scratch defensively in this game but when A.Cole and Terry return I can see us getting a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    Leighton Baines has been woeful.
    Walcott has been indifferent.
    Carrick has been hiding.
    Rooney wants the ball.

Really odd game. I do get the impression that if England needed to step up a gear, they could. That's the positive.

Great run from Lennon.

ReputationRep:
    Better 2nd half but still average, poor performance overall despite the result. Hopefully get to see the 1st team on Sunday

ReputationRep:
    Baines, Walcott, Carrick OUT
    lennon, King, Crouch IN

ReputationRep:
    hope no one starts spouting king should be out on that performance, it wasnt his best but an on form king is a rock at cb for spurs

ReputationRep:
    It is so dull watching England, dispiriting. We really are so ****ing boring to watch and we have been for years now. You need to self-medicate just to get through it tbh :rolleyes:

Can't we just get the ball and sodding hold onto it ffs.

ReputationRep:
    PLAYER RATINGS
    ENGLAND V MEXICO

England

Green - Coped well, but seemed a little nervy, not catching an easy ball and conceding a sloppy goal, not entirely his fault 6

Johnson - Actually tackled for once, despite leaving gaps at times. Well taken goal, but if nobody closed me down, I'd shoot like that all day long 7

King - Good goal, but hampered by a few mistakes. Was not injured by the pitch 6

Ferdinand - Where was he for half the game? Didn't make any obvious mistakes. 5

Baines - His fault for a sloppy goal, cannot take free kicks. 4

Walcott - Quick, but still cannot deliver the final ball. Good footwork and made the pass to Johnson 5

Gerrard - Cannot pull off the Terry Butcher look. 5

Milner - Invisible 5

Carrick - No, just no. Made some great passes for the Mexican players however. 3

Crouch - Instrumental in attack. Set up King and scored a goal himself, despite it being offside and a handball. Good headers and touches all through the game 8

Rooney - Worked hard, set up Crouch's goal. 6

MEXICO

Perez - Unlucky, could have controlled his defence better at times. 5

Juarez, Aguilar, Marquez, Salcido - Calm and controlled, but wasn;t enough with the height of Crouch. nobody closed down Johnson 5, 6 for Marquez

Osorio - Nice passing, not enough 6

Torrado - Fluid passing, did little else 5

Rodriguez - Bit frantic 5

Giovani - Loves running 40 yards and then losing it, the mexican Walcott perhaps 5

Franco - Nice workrate and determination. Scored a flimsy goal that was well deserved 7

Vela. - Cannot shoot. Bugger off. Wasted at least two good chances. 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Can't we just get the ball and sodding hold onto it ffs.
    Because the English suck at that. We have no intricate passers or possession players in the team, Carrick is supposed to be our ball player and can't even pass it sideways without losing it. If you're going to lose the ball, lose it trying to do something. The English strengths are attacking at high tempo and directly, so use Lennon/Walcott/Milner to run at players with support from the fullbacks and move the ball forward, play the ball forward into Gerrard and Rooney for a quick interchange and a chance at goal. It won't always work, but that doesn't matter if you've made sufficient territory to allow the rest of the team to reorganise and defend against the counter. We need Barry back as the only player we have who is half-decent as a screening midfielder, stop playing rubbish strikers and for the love of God, stop forcing our best player to drop into the left wing.

ReputationRep:
    Milner - Invisible? Probably our best player after Glen Johnson.

ReputationRep:
    The defence needs to get up to speed, midfield needs to cover the defence more when we're in the tournament. I think the attack is decent, i really do. Its just the keeping the ball / complacency against the quicker teams which worries me.

ReputationRep:
    Was at Wembley and had the pleasure of Leighton Baines as closest player to me in the second half. He played ****.

Good to see Carra again though even if it was only as a sub. Crouch was better than I've seen him recently.

ReputationRep:
    As good as Carragher is, and how he would be useful, I don't like the idea of allowing him straight into the squad. He's just being a glory supporter and isn't willing to do the dirty work to get the reward of the World Cup.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.