Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2000/4000 words done for this essay due next monday... This has been the only downside of the PGCE. Masters credits that I'm probably never ever going to use...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    2000/4000 words done for this essay due next monday... This has been the only downside of the PGCE. Masters credits that I'm probably never ever going to use...
    That's more than me... I have 0/5,000 of an essay due Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I've just finished my fourth essay of the pgce today. Two more left to go. Sadly they are big ones that fall right in the busiest time of placement though. Not looking forward to them.

I hate trying to balance essays and placement. I'd like to just focus on one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    As in due tomorrow!? How are you feeling about it? I've got a friend visiting thurs-sun so needed it out of the way really.

(Original post by Airfairy)
    I've just finished my fourth essay of the pgce today. Two more left to go. Sadly they are big ones that fall right in the busiest time of placement though. Not looking forward to them.

I hate trying to balance essays and placement. I'd like to just focus on one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How many credits do you get!? We've only got the three essays for the year which are well spaced out.

ReputationRep:
    As in due tomorrow!? How are you feeling about it? I've got a friend visiting thurs-sun so needed it out of the way really.

How many credits do you get!? We've only got the three essays for the year which are well spaced out.
    Next Wednesday, haha. I've done most of the reading but haven't really started writing it yet. Luckily the uni have given us 2.5 days to work on it from home, which is nice.

We've only got 3 essays too don't think I could cope with any more!

ReputationRep:

We get the standard 60. The annoying thing is that three of our essays are formative, so they don't count. I do put less effort into those ones but I still find it irritating because it takes time and effort just to write something vaguely submittable, even if it isn't marked. They are on similar topics as the summative, but not similar enough to actually copy and paste the formative and edit it!

It annoyed me enough as it is, but I thought it was common. Now I'm even more annoyed that it turns out not everyone else has six essays :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified because next week I jump up from teaching 4 or 5 lessons a week to my full timetable (minus my 2 year 7 classes). Planning to use today to blast out my lesson plans, create my planner and start structuring my essay that's due Friday.

We get the standard 60. The annoying thing is that three of our essays are formative, so they don't count. I do put less effort into those ones but I still find it irritating because it takes time and effort just to write something vaguely submittable, even if it isn't marked. They are on similar topics as the summative, but not similar enough to actually copy and paste the formative and edit it!

It annoyed me enough as it is, but I thought it was common. Now I'm even more annoyed that it turns out not everyone else has six essays :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have two essays plus a mini research dissertation but that's for a total of 90 masters credits. We have formative tasks while on placement - 13 tasks in all. They're the worst part of it for me because it's things like find the SENCO and have an interview and critically evaluate the use of an interactive whiteboard and it's just little things that add so much time to arrange when I could be planning my lessons or observing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm terrified because next week I jump up from teaching 4 or 5 lessons a week to my full timetable (minus my 2 year 7 classes). Planning to use today to blast out my lesson plans, create my planner and start structuring my essay that's due Friday.

I have two essays plus a mini research dissertation but that's for a total of 90 masters credits. We have formative tasks while on placement - 13 tasks in all. They're the worst part of it for me because it's things like find the SENCO and have an interview and critically evaluate the use of an interactive whiteboard and it's just little things that add so much time to arrange when I could be planning my lessons or observing.
    Ugh that sounds a lot! Interesting that you get 90 masters credits. Are you on a pgde?

Good luck with your full timetable. How many hours is that for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ugh that sounds a lot! Interesting that you get 90 masters credits. Are you on a pgde?

Good luck with your full timetable. How many hours is that for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup. I'm pgde. It's worth it in the long run I guess but for now I'm exhausted.

I move to 14 hours teaching and three observing/assisting. I've never taught more than 5 hours a week before so I'm so scared to mess it all up!

ReputationRep:

I move to 14 hours teaching and three observing/assisting. I've never taught more than 5 hours a week before so I'm so scared to mess it all up!
    Youd be suprised how easy the extra teaching hours are to pick up, im on a two week timetable so i do 11 hours week a and 10 hours week b teaching, plus 25 minutes pd monday to thursday for a tutor group plus about 5 hours observing a week.
    When i saw my timetable i was like oh c*#p but actually you slide into it quite comfortably because you just learn to work around it

ReputationRep:

Wow! On a two week timetable it;s easy
    I was doing 16 solo hours by the end of placement 1 and it made me feel more like a proper teacher.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Youd be suprised how easy the extra teaching hours are to pick up, im on a two week timetable so i do 11 hours week a and 10 hours week b teaching, plus 25 minutes pd monday to thursday for a tutor group plus about 5 hours observing a week.
    When i saw my timetable i was like oh c*#p but actually you slide into it quite comfortably because you just learn to work around it
    I'm a one week timetable but with two shortened days a week and on those days I work with my form for PSE for 35 minutes. I have 6 frees in total. I guess it's just getting into the swing of it.

Wow! On a two week timetable it;s easy
    I was doing 16 solo hours by the end of placement 1 and it made me feel more like a proper teacher.
    My first placement school were very reluctant to hand over classes to trainees so I feel like I'm playing catchup. I'm starting to feel less like I'm faking it now and I'm feeling much more like a teacher.

Had a teacher out me as a trainee to the form I'm working. I'll be teaching them next week so I'm not too happy about that. Everyone else in the school knows I'm just a standard teacher so I think that's helping to make me feel like I can do this but I'm terrified that my form group are going to be dreadful in their lesson with me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm a one week timetable but with two shortened days a week and on those days I work with my form for PSE for 35 minutes. I have 6 frees in total. I guess it's just getting into the swing of it.

My first placement school were very reluctant to hand over classes to trainees so I feel like I'm playing catchup. I'm starting to feel less like I'm faking it now and I'm feeling much more like a teacher.

Had a teacher out me as a trainee to the form I'm working. I'll be teaching them next week so I'm not too happy about that. Everyone else in the school knows I'm just a standard teacher so I think that's helping to make me feel like I can do this but I'm terrified that my form group are going to be dreadful in their lesson with me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Similar to what I will be teaching in a couple of weeks. I feel the same as your with my first placement, as my school held back a bit. I only taught 6 hours a week and that was only for a couple of weeks, so to go from that, to managing a 14 hour timetable will be tough. But like someone said above, I'm thinking we will adapt to it quickly!

It doesn't sound like much when you put it as only 6 frees! I did all my work in my frees in first placement and managed to keep my weekends to myself. I guess this is the part where I lose all my time :lol: .

Let us know how you get on anyway.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Trust me, the kids know that you're a trainee, regardless of whether or not they've explicitly been told! - if you can deliver solid lessons and you can make your lessons accessible, they won't act up.

A lot of trainee teachers even have student teacher or PGCE on their badges

ReputationRep:

This sounds a lot like my course, but we're PGCE rather than PGCDE. In fact, it sounded so similar that I nearly asked if we were at the same uni! We also get 90 credits.

You will manage the jump, it's not as bad as it seems. I know how you feel though, next placement we are moving from teaching 50% to 80% (full NQT timetable) which is intimidating! It'll all be fine though.

ReputationRep:

Oh the good old days! This is the part people don't see. I am now a teacher but English as a Foreign Langugage and those teachers also have to go a teaching practise much the same but with less teaching hours and more essays and lectures as it is both parts piled into one course. It is very intensive and I can see why many drop out of the course but for me who had been through a QTS degree I found it intensive but nowhere near Teaching Practise on my degree.

My friends think it is the same then I explained about all the meetings, the hours we have to plan for, other work around the side, evidence for standards, lesson evaluations, weekly evaluations, putting in all the paperwork needed for the folders, etc. Then they started to understand!

Just hold on put yourself. You will probably want to collapse forever afterwards but it will be all over long enough. Just set daily and weekly goals/aims. Just don't let time slip by and make the most of every second you have.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I managed to do absolutely nothing today except for building a robot to use with one of my classes.

Should probably start the 3000 word essay and/or plan some lessons tonight so that I can at least see my parents and sister tomorrow evening! My youngest sister has spent the day sending photos from wherever she's being galivanting to all week because she knows I'm stuck at home with a tonne of work to do.

I really need to start planning in time to drop in on my family. We haven't even managed to celebrate my engagement yet

ReputationRep:
    Do you teach abroad or in the UK? Have you done a degree in TEFL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    Oh the good old days! This is the part people don't see. I am now a teacher but English as a Foreign Langugage and those teachers also have to go a teaching practise much the same but with less teaching hours and more essays and lectures as it is both parts piled into one course. It is very intensive and I can see why many drop out of the course but for me who had been through a QTS degree I found it intensive but nowhere near Teaching Practise on my degree.

My friends think it is the same then I explained about all the meetings, the hours we have to plan for, other work around the side, evidence for standards, lesson evaluations, weekly evaluations, putting in all the paperwork needed for the folders, etc. Then they started to understand!

Just hold on put yourself. You will probably want to collapse forever afterwards but it will be all over long enough. Just set daily and weekly goals/aims. Just don't let time slip by and make the most of every second you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm torn between PGCE and schools direct at the moment so I was just wondering - the parts inbetween placement where you're based within the university for the theory side of things, how are those delivered? Do you have lectures or set work to do etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.