Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    You've gone longer without a trophy :fyi:
    flippant joke :fyi:

But since we're on the subject how long since you've won the league?

Oh yeah, sometime way before you won your 5th European Cup

ReputationRep:
    The **** up between Koscielny and Szczesny made me laugh. For all their good football Arsenal can't win trophies, Birmingham deserved their win. Wenger has to go because he's still not adressed the goalkeeper/centre back issue. They will not win a trophy until that's sorted. The other thing is they're nothing without Fabregas.

ReputationRep:
    To be really honest I am not saying Wenger should go as he has done some great things for Arsenal but I feel it will be the end of this Arsenal team if they fail to win a trophy this season. Fabregas will probably leave to Barcelona and some other key players will be considering their options it is quite sad as Arsenal could have been a major force in English and world football if Wenger had made 2 defensive signings and a world class striker. Trophies will always be won by those who spend heavily.

ReputationRep:
    Why does one of the worlds richest clubs have to rely on a relatively inexperienced 21 year old goalkeeper (3rd choice til recently), still very much unproven, with the likes of Reina, VDS, cech, Hart in the division. Relying on Eboue, Koschilney, Djourou, Clichy to defend your way to a TREBLE! ****ING HELL. It's insane. Then you got Mr Pink boots on 50k a week as your impact sub. Wenger's time has gone. You should bring in a Winner.

ReputationRep:
    People claiming Wenger still hasn't sorted the keeper/CB position are just idiots. Look at the run Szcesny, Djourou and Koscielny have had the last two months, and one stupid mistake and you're calling for them to be sold? What a joke.

The sad truth is though that we just don't play as well without Fabregas. And that's not saying we're a one-man team - it's just when he's on the pitch, everyone else plays better as well. It's kind of the opposite to when Henry left. In Henry's last season here everyone felt they just had to pass to him every time they were near goal, they were all making mistakes and panicking because they had Henry huffing and throwing his arms up every time they made a mistake. With Fabregas it seems to be the opposite - they all up their game when he's on the pitch because they feel they should. They feel they need to to keep him there. And he's one of them, they feel comfortable playing alongside him. If he goes, it's not just him we're losing, it's a lot of drive in the players who are left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Why does one of the worlds richest clubs have to rely on a relatively inexperienced 21 year old goalkeeper (3rd choice til recently), still very much unproven, with the likes of Reina, VDS, cech, Hart in the division. Relying on Eboue, Koschilney, Djourou, Clichy to defend your way to a TREBLE! ****ING HELL. It's insane. Then you got Mr Pink boots on 50k a week as your impact sub. Wenger's time has gone. You should bring in a Winner.
    Compared to other positions Wenger has never been very good when it comes to signing centre-backs. Before Vermaelen the only good solid centre-back signing he made was Campbell (8 YEARS BEFORE). When he first arrived at Arsenal he inherited George Graham's defence so there was really no need to sign a centre-back or even a goalkeeper.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodi...stoke-8630704/
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Well tbh mate I think it shows the complete opposite. You cant make any money unless you sell players. And you cant buy unless you make a profit.
    Not at all. You have to remember we've got laons to pay off, and if we're balancing the books whilst paying off loans means without sales, means we're in an excellent position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    Not at all. You have to remember we've got laons to pay off, and if we're balancing the books whilst paying off loans means without sales, means we're in an excellent position.
    But look at united. Way bigger loans to pay off and still make big profit. Without selling anyone. http://www.footballtradedirectory.co...ial-boost.html

BTW, not trying to wum, its nice to have a discussion about something for once

ReputationRep:
    But look at united. Way bigger loans to pay off and still make big profit. Without selling anyone. http://www.footballtradedirectory.co...ial-boost.html

BTW, not trying to wum, its nice to have a discussion about something for once
    Manchester United do not make a profit. Not a penny. And certainly not a big one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking...at the end of the day the cup was the least important out of the four we're after. And yeh they're not as easy as that one was deemed but they're still all very much possible! So. Is it not actually GOOD that they scored? If they hadn't we would have had to go all the way into another half hour of extra time. And with all the matches we have coming up half hour less tense hard playing time is a bonus no? So really we should be thanking the slight blunder!

Plus. Making this a rather lengthy and gready post sorry lol, we are in a very very strong financial position without winning anything! That shows how strong a position we are in surely. With us doing incredibly well without the millions that other top clubs get from winning leagues and cups. When we do win, hopefully this season a fair few of them, THEN we will be in an absolutely incredibly financial position without the need of some moronic oil ****ting foreigner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Highbury)
    So. Is it not actually GOOD that they scored?
    Urghh not really.

ReputationRep:
    worth a try lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Manchester United do not make a profit. Not a penny. And certainly not a big one.
    Did you not read the link?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hearing van Persie is out for 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not read the link?
    Yes. It talks a lot about increasing turnover and the like, but nothing about the cripping debt repayments which had them making a lose despite the sale of Ronaldo. I'd find the sources if I had time, but i'm in work.

Honestly, Manchester United is not the benchmark for financial management in football. They haemorrhage massive amounts of money.

If you can find me proper sources that show me Manchester United making a profit, I'll upload a video of me eating a live rabbit.

Arsenals model is the way to go, although I get the impression Wenger is overly tight at times. His refusal to go out and sign a top goalkeeper in the summer might cost you the league and CL.

ReputationRep:
    RVP to miss the Barca clash

ReputationRep:
    FFS. When will we get a break from these injuries!? Walcott, RvP and possibly Cesc out? Might as well give up.

ReputationRep:
    Mate just showed me this amazing link.

I know it's goal.com - But it has opta stats! :eek3:

We always knew Cesc was the best.

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is the most creative player in Europe, according to Opta stats.

The Spaniard, who has been the midfield orchestrator for the Gunners for several seasons, produces a chance from open play every 29 minutes – better than any other player in England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas for Barca - “Cesc is looking possible, he is making quick and good progress. It is possible.”
    Van Persie - "The shortest delay we can imagine is three weeks [so] he is definitely out for Barcelona."
    Alex Song - "He is out for Leyton Orient and has a very small chance for Saturday. But he has a good chance for Barcelona."
    Koscielny - "Has a tight hamstring. There is a little bit of fatigue in there aswell so we will give him a breather against Leyton Orient."

Walcott - Out of Barca clash.

Diaby and Almunia will both start tomorrow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.