Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I am so so so so so glad he's leaving. Maybe Doctor Who can get back to the good old days now! Fighting monsters, saving planets, adventures and excitement all nicely finished in an episode (or sometimes a very neat 2 parter). No more impossible girls that never really got explained, no more Me... Yayyyyy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In fairness the old days were usually 5/6 part stories, but agreed. One of my friends has said with moffat its too often fanfic rather than genuine stories - and that's fair. Things like adding another doctor just to get to 13 so he could be the one to give the doctor more regenerations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Ah yes but they were small story arcs rather than major ones. Like bad Wolf existed but the episodes stood alone too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Ah yes but they were small story arcs rather than major ones. Like bad Wolf existed but the episodes stood alone too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant the original series rather than the reboot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I meant the original series rather than the reboot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah brain fail!

ReputationRep:
    What were people's favourite/least favourite Moffat episodes from his time as head writer?

Favourite:
    The Eleventh Hour
    Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
    Asylum of the Daleks
    The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
    Heaven Sent

Least Favourite:
    The Beast Below
    The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe
    A Good Man Goes To War
    The Wedding of River Song
    The Husbands of River Song

The rest were okay (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, Let's Kill Hitler, Angels Take Manhattan, The Snowmen, The Bells of St John, The Name/Day/Time of the Doctor, Deep Breath, Listen, Death In Heaven, Last Christmas, Hell Bent).
    I expected big things from Moffat when he was appointed head writer because I really liked all of his episodes when RTD was head writer, was a bit disappointed given how much a mixed bag his series and episodes were. Looking forward to see what Chris Chibnall comes up with. the only episode I liked of his was '42'.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Evening, folks, I have a challenge for you all! How many eps of New Who can you name?

Should be able to get a decent score whichever series you've watched, so no excuses :mmm:

Post results here
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    What were people's favourite/least favourite Moffat episodes from his time as head writer?

Favourite:
    The Eleventh Hour
    Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
    Asylum of the Daleks
    The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
    Heaven Sent

Least Favourite:
    The Beast Below
    The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe
    A Good Man Goes To War
    The Wedding of River Song
    The Husbands of River Song

The rest were okay (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, Let's Kill Hitler, Angels Take Manhattan, The Snowmen, The Bells of St John, The Name/Day/Time of the Doctor, Deep Breath, Listen, Death In Heaven, Last Christmas, Hell Bent).
    I expected big things from Moffat when he was appointed head writer because I really liked all of his episodes when RTD was head writer, was a bit disappointed given how much a mixed bag his series and episodes were. Looking forward to see what Chris Chibnall comes up with. the only episode I liked of his was '42'.
    Let's kill hitler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Evening, folks, I have a challenge for you all! How many eps of New Who can you name?

Should be able to get a decent score whichever series you've watched, so no excuses :mmm:

Post results here
    113/130, should have been more but ran out of typing time

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 63
Size:  53.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Let's kill hitler
    Nightmare in Silver.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Nightmare in Silver.
    The Day of the doctor is my fave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    And with sherlock probably not being on this year either after the new year special what will Moffat be doing?

Making us wait is not a special event - it's just annoying

Oh my god, I hadn't actually thought of that. What will he be doing? Because as far as I know, he isn't really working on anything else...

Apparently he said that he's postponing the next season of Doctor Who until next year because of the Olympic Games, but that sounds like BS to me. And he didn't do that in 2012, when the Olympic Games were actually in London, so... yeah. I'm calling BS on this one.

And my biggest fear for Doctor Who at the moment is that Moffat will spend ages on the story arc for season 10, and it'll make even less sense than the past five seasons that we've already received from him.

It also really annoys me how it is basically being treated like a leaving party for Moffat, especially when quite a lot of fans who started watching the show in RTD's era, or even Classic Who in some occasions, don't like him at all. Yeah, David Tennant and Matt Smith got special episodes for when they left the show (and Eccleston didn't really, which annoys me because he was one of my favourite Doctors), BUT THAT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE PLAYING THE MAIN CHARACTER. Moffat is just a showrunner - as far as the actual story goes, he is not the most important person on the show, The Doctor is. And he isn't even very good at his job.

I honestly believe he would have been better off if he just stayed as a regular scriptwriter for the odd episode, because his stand-alone episodes are actually really good (he wrote Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, etc.), but he just can't handle story arcs very well. The storyline with Missy in season 8 was okay, I guess, but it definitely wasn't the best story arc that we've seen in Doctor Who over the last 53 years.

Oh, and apparently Chibnall is going to give the show a fresh start when he takes over. Capaldi is still going to be The Doctor though, but I think he's going to be leaving after the next two seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse&Roses)
    And he isn't even very good at his job.

I honestly believe he would have been better off if he just stayed as a regular scriptwriter for the odd episode, because his stand-alone episodes are actually really good (he wrote Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, etc.), but he just can't handle story arcs very well. The storyline with Missy in season 8 was okay, I guess, but it definitely wasn't the best story arc that we've seen in Doctor Who over the last 53 years.
    As you say people began with RTD, so I will say to that people ignore how RTD era was just as bad if not worse than Moffats in terms of making no sense, rushed finales/series long plot twists and nods to the fans.

By the way its SERIES 8, we are not in America ya know Too many Americanisms these days lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    As you say people began with RTD, so I will say to that people ignore how RTD era was just as bad if not worse than Moffats in terms of making no sense, rushed finales/series long plot twists and nods to the fans.

By the way its SERIES 8, we are not in America ya know Too many Americanisms these days lol.
    Yeah I agree, it sometimes is a case of nostalgia goggles with some of RTD era episodes! I'm not saying that his stuff wasn't good, I just don't think it was as perfect as some people think it was. After all, some of the worst Who episodes ever came from his era...

ReputationRep:
    So what do you all think of the new companion? I won't say her name in case people don't want to be spoiled.

Personally, watching the clip she looked abysmal. The character was so annoying making the most stupid comments. If this is really what she will be like she will be the one of the worst companions of ths hows. I know it is too early to say fully but the clip was awful...I couldn't actually believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    So what do you all think of the new companion? I won't say her name in case people don't want to be spoiled.

Personally, watching the clip she looked abysmal. The character was so annoying making the most stupid comments. If this is really what she will be like she will be the one of the worst companions of ths hows. I know it is too early to say fully but the clip was awful...I couldn't actually believe it.
    I hate to say it but I agree. The 'attitude' seems really forced and has been done before.

I was really hoping for a new kind of companion. We've had good young female companions already; we didn't need another lippy no-self-preservation character.

ReputationRep:
    Just bring back Tennant and Piper, the show will be forgiven for all its woes.

ReputationRep:
    Pearl Mackie confirmed as the Doctor's next companion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36111598

Never heard of her, ngl.

ReputationRep:
    So its another female, just happens to be ethnic (as people guessed) and is yet another Londoner.

Not wanting to start an argument but its a shame being PC means picking different ethnicities from London rather than actors from outside London of any etncitity, i'd rather have a minority Northerner or Welsh than Londoner.

ReputationRep:
    Also, her characters name is "Bill".

like wut
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I've seen her in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time which she's currently in and she was very good then. Trailer didn't particularly enthuse me so hoping that Moffat's writing doesn't let her down.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.