Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeySwansea)
    Hi all, been following this thread since I applied for Accounting & Finance on the 15th Jan. I got rejected last year but, after attaining A*A*A*A in Maths, Law, Accounting and Business at A Level, I thought I would give it one last shot. Unfortunately, at 3.49pm, I was rejected again. The reason: subject combination.

However, on their Acc & Finance page they propose that: Maths is studied by "the majority of successful applicants"; furthermore, "many successful applicants" study Accounting and an essay based subject (which Law is), and finally "other subjects often studied" include Business.

Not the best reasoning perhaps, but, after 2 rejections, I am now at peace with the fact that LSE is out of my reach.

Best of luck to you all, I've enjoyed following the thread and will continue to do so
    I'm incredibly sorry about your rejection but LSE does have a rather lengthy section on their entry requirement website dedicated to subject combinations.

Even though you got excellent grades in your A-Levels, three of your four subjects (Law, Accounting and Business) fall under their 'non-preferred' list of subjects.

(Original post by LSE Subject combinations and 'non-preferred' subjects)
    "Tutors will normally consider one of the subjects listed as 'non-preferred' below only if it is offered in combination with two generally preferred subjects."
    "
    Successful applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list of subjects that are 'non-preferred.'

Unfortunately, you only had one 'preferred' subject'. : (

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, been following this thread since I applied for Accounting & Finance on the 15th Jan. I got rejected last year but, after attaining A*A*A*A in Maths, Law, Accounting and Business at A Level, I thought I would give it one last shot. Unfortunately, at 3.49pm, I was rejected again. The reason: subject combination.

However, on their Acc & Finance page they propose that: Maths is studied by "the majority of successful applicants"; furthermore, "many successful applicants" study Accounting and an essay based subject (which Law is), and finally "other subjects often studied" include Business.

Not the best reasoning perhaps, but, after 2 rejections, I am now at peace with the fact that LSE is out of my reach.

Best of luck to you all, I've enjoyed following the thread and will continue to do so
    Commiserations for you rejection.
    In all honesty, I am not surprised by your rejection because you usually need to have at least 2 facilitating subjects when you apply to LSE but you only had 1.

ReputationRep:
    LSE rejection, international relations after 4 months of waiting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelich)
    Well I just got an offer from UCL for History, which will soften the LSE rejection when I get it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yaaaay congratulations:banana::banana: Maybe that mean LSE will take you as well.

ReputationRep:
    just got the rejection for philosophy and eco today even though I applied somewhere around october. apparently my ps was not sufficient enough in the eco department since it was meant for oxford ppe. very strong philosophical and political aspect but unfortunately accompanied by a mediocre economic part, which ended up being --i guess the killer. Grades as well as the reference were and are excellent. Shouldn't have declined the oxford interviews i guess. So I assume staying in Austria will be the best suiting option for me, since I am planning on doing three Bachelors at once (and there is also the financial and social aspect).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangejuice.)
    I'm incredibly sorry about your rejection but LSE does have a rather lengthy section on their entry requirement website dedicated to subject combinations.

Even though you got excellent grades in your A-Levels, three of your four subjects (Law, Accounting and Business) fall under their 'non-preferred' list of subjects.

Unfortunately, you only had one 'preferred' subject'. : (

(Original post by arminb)
    Commiserations for you rejection.
    In all honesty, I am not surprised by your rejection because you usually need to have at least 2 facilitating subjects when you apply to LSE but you only had 1.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I seem to remember coming across that last year actually. Try not to look at it as me having a moan! Applying to LSE for me was like buying a lottery ticket..... I never expected to win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    yaaaay congratulations:banana::banana: Maybe that mean LSE will take you as well.
    Thank you!! It's been a long time coming, but I can honestly say that if I do get a rejection from LSE, it won't hurt as much. My dream is to study in London, and now I can, provided I get A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clearing that up guys. I seem to remember coming across that last year actually. Try not to look at it as me having a moan! Applying to LSE for me was like buying a lottery ticket..... I never expected to win.
    Oh no, have a moan if you need to, it usually helps with closure Regardless, your grades are fantastic and I hope you have an offer from another place you're content with attending? Best of luck with everything.

(Original post by gracelich)
    Thank you!! It's been a long time coming, but I can honestly say that if I do get a rejection from LSE, it won't hurt as much. My dream is to study in London, and now I can, provided I get A*AA
    Even better, it's UCL with a year abroad (just saw your post on the UCL thread :P) - however will you decide if you get both LSE and UCL?! The year abroad sounds very enticing.

ReputationRep:
    Breaking news: The department of International History and the London School of Economics and Political Sciences has vanished. Londoners today in Central were shocked when a section of the infamous LSE vanished into thin air.

A spokeswoman from the LSE I formed the BBC that "The history department was so overwhelmed with Undergraduate applications this year that the department took the decision to warp themselves into space to avoid the overwhelming task of processing potential students"

The move echoes the strike of the History department at Warwick University where students self taught themselves during the academic pay strikes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reapplicant)
    guess i am kinda screwed although I didn't get a decision yet.

I'm reapplying whilst at my 1st year in university (already got my A-level grades)

Today got an e-mail from LSE asking for predicted grade for my first year university exams..

I contacted my tutors, many said it is against university policy to do so, so they cant really help me.

I know nobody can really help me at this point, just writing to make myself feel better.
    I am sorry to hear that. I am in a very similar situation to you. Would you mind to let me know when did you send off your application and what course have you applied? Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puella_optima)
    Breaking news: The department of International History and the London School of Economics and Political Sciences has vanished. Londoners today in Central were shocked when a section of the infamous LSE vanished into thin air.

A spokeswoman from the LSE I formed the BBC that "The history department was so overwhelmed with Undergraduate applications this year that the department took the decision to warp themselves into space to avoid the overwhelming task of processing potential students"

The move echoes the strike of the History department at Warwick University where students self taught themselves during the academic pay strikes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha, I love you!! Such a Boss XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangejuice.)

Even better, it's UCL with a year abroad (just saw your post on the UCL thread :P) - however will you decide if you get both LSE and UCL?! The year abroad sounds very enticing.
    I know! I'm totally stunned I have an offer, as places are very limited for History with a year abroad. They take in around 20-25 people or less per year (or so I've been told by other users).
    Even more so as I resat Year 12...! Haha, I wil choose LSE if I get an offer, just because its higher up in the league tables, better graduate prospects etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzika)
    Im Lithuanian. But I do my A-levels in England now

Viskas bus gerai, pamatysi

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap, I went to sleep at 3 pm and missed everything. Sorry guys for your rejections, it seems like Friday is becoming a rejection day.

For those who are still alive good luck and we shall wait another week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mun_96)
    Great results mate! That rejection is so uncalled for and so unfair. Sometimes the process seems so unjust: I got 14 A*S in my GCSEs and 6As in my AS-level with a 95.3% average across the 6 and predicted grades were good. In the BMAT ( I applied medicine), i got 5.9 6.9 3.5B. Yet i got rejected from b'ham and oxford even though i ranked 2nd in oxford for GCSEs and my BMAT was well above avergae for the successful offer holder. I had the experience as well, work experience, voluntary work for a year etc.

My point is, you should fight for your case. You have the evidence that your subject combination was allowed and so they can't discriminate against you on the basis of your subject combination. Don't just play down your rejection, you seem like a very modest and humble person so I really feel for you. Demand for feedback and tell them about what you have read about subject combination. You deserve that offer!
    Hi Mun,

Thanks for cheering me up, I love a fighter On the face of it, my rejection may seem unfair, but it really isn't. I have poor grades from my GCSE equivalents, which I took in Ireland, and my work experience is with a local charity, not a global bank.

If I didn't have these flaws in my qualification then, believe me, I would be fighting for my place. I have confidence in my abilities, and I don't accept that there are 120 (or so) students who will perform better than me on that course. However, I do accept that there are that many students who are better prepared, which is why I haven't been offered a place.

Your academic performance to date is absolutely staggering, pal. I would have thought that Oxbridge was made for someone like you. Where else have you applied? Please PM me, I would love to hear more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.Tam)
    I am sorry to hear that. I am in a very similar situation to you. Would you mind to let me know when did you send off your application and what course have you applied? Good Luck!
    I sent my application on the 15th of January and I am applying for Pure Economics.
    So what did you do on getting that e-mail?
    I just replied that it is university policy not to give predicted grades, is there anything I could do instead, etc..

Good luck to your application as well! Hope there is some way we could make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uriu)
    just got the rejection for philosophy and eco today even though I applied somewhere around october. apparently my ps was not sufficient enough in the eco department since it was meant for oxford ppe. very strong philosophical and political aspect but unfortunately accompanied by a mediocre economic part, which ended up being --i guess the killer. Grades as well as the reference were and are excellent. Shouldn't have declined the oxford interviews i guess. So I assume staying in Austria will be the best suiting option for me, since I am planning on doing three Bachelors at once (and there is also the financial and social aspect).
    Sorry to hear this... I applied for the same course and wrote a PPE statement too. My rejection will also probably be coming some time soon. When did you receive the email? and did you receive the strongest email?

ReputationRep:
    What time does the sending out offers/rejections finish at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TARIK_)
    LSE rejection, international relations after 4 months of waiting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why? What did it say in their email? And what were your AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefoodandmore)
    What time does the sending out offers/rejections finish at?
    It's over, 6 pm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.