Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Mate, we literally have 150m in cash reserves sitting in Natwest. We could afford your entire first team...
    Without destroying your wage budget and pissing all your players off? No you couldn't.
    And Suarez is worth 40m ish excluding all the aggro he comes with. Including it he's worth less.
    He's worth what we are prepared to sell him at. Which is £40m+

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23222924

i didn't think the story was true!

what is wenger playing at? it's highly unlikely we would get suarez so is he just playing games with real madrid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Without destroying your wage budget and pissing all your players off? No you couldn't.

He's worth what we are prepared to sell him at. Which is £40m+
    What would he want? 150k? we can definitely stretch to that. Having said all this, I dont believe for a second that Wenger is prepared to pay this kind of money, even if he can afford to.

If Suarez said tomorrow he was desperate for a move to Real and acted the ****, then you'd take 35m from Real.

ReputationRep:
    What would he want? 150k? we can definitely stretch to that. Having said all this, I dont believe for a second that Wenger is prepared to pay this kind of money, even if he can afford to.

If Suarez said tomorrow he was desperate for a move to Real and acted the ****, then you'd take 35m from Real.
    By the same token, Liverpool could probably afford Rooney but that doesn't make it any closer to reality.

Suarez will need to hand in a transfer request, forgo any bonus/loyalty payments and no doubt the management have decided what is the bottom line fee the club will accept for Suarez. It's presumed to be 40mil as that is what is being reported everywhere.

If Madrid don't match that, Suarez will stay at Liverpool. He's tied into a long term contract and even if he's throwing a hissy fit, he'll still play great football for us (and he knows he'll have to play well if he wants to pursue a move to a top club).

Just because Arsenal get bent over a barrell every time Barcelona want to buy one of their players doesn't mean other clubs aren't better able to negotiate.

Real Madrid always throw money to solve their problems too. See price paid for C.Ronaldo, Kaka, Alonso, Modric etc in recent years. Madrid are definitely a club who will pay an extra 5mil to get the player they want than faff about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    By the same token, Liverpool could probably afford Rooney but that doesn't make it any closer to reality.

Just because Arsenal get bent over a barrell every time Barcelona want to buy one of their players doesn't mean other clubs aren't better able to negotiate.

Real Madrid always throw money to solve their problems too. See price paid for C.Ronaldo, Kaka, Alonso, Modric etc in recent years. Madrid are definitely a club who will pay an extra 5mil to get the player they want than faff about.
    Barca been sniffing around Downing/Henderson again then? :rolleyes:
    (And tbh, Arsenal have absolutely rinsed Barca over the years. 25m for Overmars in 1999, 15m for Song, 15m for Hleb and got a decent price in a difficult situation for Fabregas.)

I would be amazed if we ended up getting Suarez, but not for reasons of affordability. Having said that, he's much much too good for the current Liverpool team and I think he'll end up at Real since they need a top striker. As Torres/Alonso showed, Liverpool will sell at the right price.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/72e2d47e-7...44feabdc0.html

Financial Times a good enough source?

This will now be about 150m thanks to season ticket renewals.
    I wasn't laughing at the facts you highlighted, I was laughing at the notion of us having a natwest account with 150m in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    I wasn't laughing at the facts you highlighted, I was laughing at the notion of us having a natwest account with 150m in it.
    o right, haha. Personally saw Arsene in the Finsbury park branch causing a scene over a £1.90 debit card fee which he disputed and felt should have been more like £1.40.

Santander apparently offer up to 100 quid to people switching account to them so that's probably going to be Wenger's biggest move of the summer

ReputationRep:
    o right, haha. Personally saw Arsene in the Finsbury park branch causing a scene over a £1.90 debit card fee which he disputed and felt should have been more like £1.40.

Santander apparently offer up to 100 quid to people switching account to them so that's probably going to be Wenger's biggest move of the summer
    :clap2:
    oh my days, you're jokes man.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be quite funny we got Suarez can you imagine how p'd off the L'pool fans would be looool.

ReputationRep:
    Barca been sniffing around Downing/Henderson again then? :rolleyes:
    (And tbh, Arsenal have absolutely rinsed Barca over the years. 25m for Overmars in 1999, 15m for Song, 15m for Hleb and got a decent price in a difficult situation for Fabregas.)

I would be amazed if we ended up getting Suarez, but not for reasons of affordability. Having said that, he's much much too good for the current Liverpool team and I think he'll end up at Real since they need a top striker. As Torres/Alonso showed, Liverpool will sell at the right price.
    Lol, Song for 15m was a fair price and you got ripped off for Fabregas. He was, and is, easily worth 50m.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is gonna turn into a war of words real soon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Lol, Song for 15m was a fair price and you got ripped off for Fabregas. He was, and is, easily worth 50m.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but the circumstances meant it was going to be impossible to his true value. He'd gone on strike ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But the circumstances ...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, Barca wouldnt get 10m for Song today.

And 35m with a 50% sell on clause is not a bad deal all considered. I'd say Barca paying 35m for a La Masia product is a bit of a rip off. Just saying...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol, Barca wouldnt get 10m for Song today.

And 35m with a 50% sell on clause is not a bad deal all considered. I'd say Barca paying 35m for a La Masia product is a bit of a rip off. Just saying...:rolleyes:
    I'm afraid that's rubbish. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe that Arsene would take the risk on Suarez. Unbelievable player, but comes with a lot of baggage. You'd think that if Arsenal were about to bid 30mil on a player, it wouldn't be Suarez.

Positive sign of things to come for you guys though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I'm going on holiday on Wednesday and can ignore all this **** for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add more fuel to the fire, Spanish paper AS saying that Ancelotti wants Higuain to stay and 'he'll try to convince him' to stay once the squad returns back from holiday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    End of the day we sold fabregas and bought a 29 year old arteta to replace him, now that is what you call good business...

Cannot believe Fiorentina managed to land gomez

ReputationRep:
    Perez "No Arsenal Offer for Higuain"

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/arseb...3/s8ifK4B0LTU/

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.