Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Labour Party Q&A Thread - Ask/Join here! watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by United1892)
    It would depend how many defect, I'd certainly say that Kendall and Hunt are to the right of the lib dems on most issues socially and economically particularly with Farron in charge.
    There's not a huge difference between the Lib Dems and a lot of Labour MPs, and probably not too much between Kendall and Hunt and Nick Clegg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    There's not a huge difference between the Lib Dems and a lot of Labour MPs, and probably not too much between Kendall and Hunt and Nick Clegg.
    Theres also not a lot of difference between some Labour MPs and some Conservative ones. Kendall and Hunt would probably be less socially liberal than Clegg but otherwise similar. Clegg was towards on of the more right wing of the Lib Dems MPs though.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to thank the Labour party, on behalf of the Conservative party, for allowing them to win the GE hands down under your new leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    I would like to thank the Labour party, on behalf of the Conservative party, for allowing them to win the GE hands down under your new leader
    Don't get to ahead of yourself yet. People were saying the same thing about Thatcher (:puke:) when she was elected leader.

ReputationRep:
    If any Labour MPs wish to defect then they have the right to do so of course, but they should all step down as MPs first and stand for the Lib Dems, if the Lib Dems will have them as their candidate, in a by-election. That's all I have to say on that point.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    If any Labour MPs wish to defect then they have the right to do so of course, but they should all step down as MPs first and stand for the Lib Dems, if the Lib Dems will have them as their candidate, in a by-election. That's all I have to say on that point.
    I think a few might, but i honestly think they'd be stupid to do so. Corbyn has many ideas, but he isn't a dictator, what the members want is what will be in the manifesto. If the MPs can't identify with the membership then they're probably in the wrong party anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    https://www.facebook.com/politicalbi...2771093579636/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Alternatively all of the PLP that backed one of the other candidates could up sticks to the Lib Dems, and it'll be Tim Farron who will be naming a Shadow Cabinet.
    Not really, all those seats will go to by elections and be held by Labour, or at least enough, and depending on how things go then it really will be Thatcher all over again with no real opposition in the house, both in terms of the quality of the Leader of the opposition, and numbers, at the moment there is only the weak leader, or if he isn't weak then Cameron is being REALLY dumb.

(Original post by United1892)
    I'm guessing sensible to you means something that you can relatively agree with.
    I mean not in a place that should be dead and buried after having already failed

ReputationRep:
    Free market policy goes back pre-war, and then returned in the 70s/80s with Thatcher and Regan. So should that have remained buried?

A lot of what Corbyn has said has public support, and would take us on a route like for example Germany in some areas. Some, such as his suggested economic policy, has been spun misleading and would require a lot of work to explain to those who are economically illiterate, which is most of the country. However if ultimately that isn't what the party want we won't have that suggested policy. In fact Corbyn basically said we'll have to see the state of the economy in five years to make our economic policy for the 2020 GE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I mean not in a place that should be dead and buried after having already failed
    But your suggesting Blairism is sensible note 2010/15
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Not really, all those seats will go to by elections and be held by Labour, or at least enough, and depending on how things go then it really will be Thatcher all over again with no real opposition in the house, both in terms of the quality of the Leader of the opposition, and numbers, at the moment there is only the weak leader, or if he isn't weak then Cameron is being REALLY dumb.
    They don't have to go to by-election.

ReputationRep:
    No 'big-guns' will defect to the Lib Dems. Labour moderates like Hunt and Umunna are still Labour through and through. Rightly, they are resigning from the cabinet so they don't undermine Jeremy and his shadow cabinet.

The whole ideology of those on the right of the party is that winning power is the ultimate goal, or else principles are worthless. Realistically, the Lib Dems aren't going to win a majority in the next few decades, and that is against the goal of the Labour Party. More likely they'll be respectful of the result whilst developing policy and constructively trying to exert influence on the direction of the party on single issues from the backbenches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Bit early to make an assumption isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn supporters say that he can swing ex-Labour UKIP voters back to Labour. All I have to say is vote Labour, get swarms of migrants. How many of the people who defected from Labour to UKIP are going to want a swarm of migrants? Good luck with even finding a few.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Wait... Corbyn is eurosceptic? That's a big thing which might stop me voting labour 2020... If only he were a europhile he would be perfect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Wait... Corbyn is eurosceptic? That's a big thing which might stop me voting labour 2020... If only he were a europhile he would be perfect.
    And wants completely open borders to flood this country with unskilled workers and his terrorist friends.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Aph;59317035]Wait... Corbyn is eurosceptic? That's a big thing which might stop me voting labour 2020... If only he were a europhile he would be perfect

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's a europhile who's said he would be willing to consider leaving if that was the best option. Big difference.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    And wants completely open borders to flood this country with unskilled workers and his terrorist friends.
    i agree somewhat with open boarders. As I have said many times I belive countries are an archaic idea and should be abolished.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    (Original post by Aph)
    Wait... Corbyn is eurosceptic? That's a big thing which might stop me voting labour 2020... If only he were a europhile he would be perfect
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's a europhile who's said he would be willing to consider leaving if that was the best option. Big difference.
    still a hard choice, really the only 'leaving the EU' I would accept is if the EU ceased to exist and we became a federal European Republic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Tom - the deputy - is very pro Europe, if that helps
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Corbyn supporters say that he can swing ex-Labour UKIP voters back to Labour. All I have to say is vote Labour, get swarms of migrants. How many of the people who defected from Labour to UKIP are going to want a swarm of migrants? Good luck with even finding a few.
    Not all Kippers are xenophobes, against mass immigration and/or racist.

Corbyn is also prepared to leave the EU if it's the best option (if we see anything like we did with Greece ever again then we may see an anti EU Labour)

Corbyn appeals to a lot of people, from all over the political landscape. I was in Grays last night (Tory/Kip place) yet the entire evening was dominated by conversation on Corbyn.

British people are generally left of centre, other than the Peter Hitchens types that you see all over Surrey. People want to see rail nationalisation, nationalisation of the energy sector and whenever the £375bn that we printed for the banks is mentioned people get very angry. I have no doubt that Corbyn will surprise many people, he's the one that will give the Tories a run for their money.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.