http://snappa.press.net/#!/assets/d6...a-d229384f9749

Mobbsy I believe
My God I'm so happy!
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was very upsetting to see Cable and Hughes lose their seats and Clegg resigning as I am very fond of them all. All were on the verge of tears understandably; politics is a brutal game it seems.

Lib Dems often come out in polls as the most popular local MPs, but this time around they were hurt by the national sentiment. What I thought was odd, however, was that most Lib Dem seats fell to the Tories, so you can hardly say that's people punishing them for joining the coalition.

Having said all of that though, I voted against Simon Hughes in Southwark and thus contributed to his defeat. I did it with a lot of reservation however. Having met Simon Hughes on many occasions and having seen what he has done for Southwark it is clear he has been a brilliant MP for over 30 years.

It was purely a local vote to punish him for his bad record in the Justice Ministry. Cuts to legal aid, the virtual destruction of judicial review with Criminal Courts and Justice Act etc. Despite my admiration for the Lib Dems once unfettered commitment to justice and liberty, they have failed massively in that regard under this government. It was because of that that Simon Hughes had to go.

That being said, I'm pretty upset that some of our greatest parliamentarians have been defeated. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Astonished and devastated, amazing comparing the turnout from last week to all of a sudden a Tory majority. I have some queries

1. Tories hoovered up the Lib Dem seats, not Labour?
2. Previous Labour voters switched from Labour to Tory to remain part of the Union?
3. SNP demolish Labour in Scotland
4. UKIP, DUP, Green make small gains.

Where did all these Tory voters come out of? And why?

Disastrous for the UK
Tories did gain Labour seats on net but not many. Indeed there were shock Welsh gains.

Probably more a case of Old Labour headed for Ukip (piling up second places in the north) and voters in the South saying 'hell no' to a left wing SNP.

Pretty shocking but i'm glad they held one.

DUP lost and gained one. UUP gained one.

Perhaps like me they paused in the polling station and almost did not vote for them while thinking of IDS, but then thought 'is there a more ambitious plan' and voted for the status-quo.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So Cameron got the clean sweep, all of the major party leaders in the same day.
Really surprised by the result, I would say this is less of a Tory win and more of a loss by everyone else.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting graphic on the FT Homepage

Labour took 10 seats from the Tories, but they themselves took 9 from Labour so the battle in the CON-LAB marginals didn't have much impact (which Labour really needed to take comfortably in order to win).
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I expect bennett wont be our leader by the next election either. I'm hoping we get Lucas back but it could be Darren Hall running for it.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
still no word from st. Ives... nearly 2 hours late now
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
still no word from st. Ives... nearly 2 hours late now
Of other counts are anything to go by we may be looking at a couple more. We know the outcome though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Maybe he'll use the opportunity to leave on a high?

Spoiler:
Show

Nahhhh
Hahahaha! I think it'd certainly be interesting to see what BoJo is like in power!
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Who's got the champagne?
David Cameron - The Wolf of Downing Street

http://snappa.press.net/#!/assets/d6...a-d229384f9749

Mobbsy I believe
I certainly do! Let's just see if we can get a good vote in the TSR election too!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Hahahaha! I think it'd certainly be interesting to see what BoJo is like in power!
I'd prefer BoJo to Cameron.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Tories did gain Labour seats on net but not many. Indeed there were shock Welsh gains.

Probably more a case of Old Labour headed for Ukip (piling up second places in the north) and voters in the South saying 'hell no' to a left wing SNP.

Pretty shocking but i'm glad they held one.

DUP lost and gained one. UUP gained one.

Perhaps like me they paused in the polling station and almost did not vote for them while thinking of IDS, but then thought 'is there a more ambitious plan' and voted for the status-quo.
That's pretty astonishing. Certainly the first two points, Wales I was expecting a Plaid overload. Sad that the Labour plan seems to have failed spectacularly on both fronts, with Old Labour voting elsewhere in disgust at the "No deal with the SNP" and New Labour in the South not believing him. UUP have improved substantially in my opinion and I have developed a bit more respect for them.

Staggering news story this morning, Tory majority, 3 party leaders resigning, Balls and Alexander removed, nearly all the Lib Dems obliterated and UKIP now Farage-less. I thought it was an April Fools tbh.

This isn't going to go well I fear. Even the Tories I know regret not having a coalition, who they concede have looked after their communities more.

What about Wales? Did Labour still dominate or has Plaid enveloped them like in Scotland, with Tory gains.

Media wins the election again it seems.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'd prefer BoJo to Cameron.
"facepalm"
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
St Ives result confirmed. Tory gain.

Final Result:
CON: 331
LAB: 232
SNP: 56
LIB: 8
UKIP: 1
Others: 22
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting graphic on the FT Homepage

Labour took 10 seats from the Tories, but they themselves took 9 from Labour so the battle in the CON-LAB marginals didn't have much impact (which Labour really needed to take comfortably in order to win).
I don't really agree that it was the main battle ground, I think it came down more to whether SNP voters switched to Labour to keep Tories out and whether it was Labour who took the Lib Dem seats, not Conservatives. If the "Northern Powerhouse" won the North over that's impressive.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A shame that I can't honestly say that Millibands appearance made no difference to how people vote.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So, with the country now screwed... let's get pissed
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
That's pretty astonishing. Certainly the first two points, Wales I was expecting a Plaid overload. Sad that the Labour plan seems to have failed spectacularly on both fronts, with Old Labour voting elsewhere in disgust at the "No deal with the SNP" and New Labour in the South not believing him. UUP have improved substantially in my opinion and I have developed a bit more respect for them.

Staggering news story this morning, Tory majority, 3 party leaders resigning, Balls and Alexander removed, nearly all the Lib Dems obliterated and UKIP now Farage-less. I thought it was an April Fools tbh.

This isn't going to go well I fear. Even the Tories I know regret not having a coalition, who they concede have looked after their communities more.

What about Wales? Did Labour still dominate or has Plaid enveloped them like in Scotland, with Tory gains.

Media wins the election again it seems.
The Old Labour types hate immigration, the SNP never made a difference to them.

I wanted a repeat of the coalition about as much as a majority. Left wing liberals vs nutty back benches mean that both had their bad points. I'm happy with the result though.

Plaid came 4th. Solid Labour win in Wales but not as well as last time.

I think people vastly overstate the media. The choice was an okay incumbent government vs a relatively unambitious Labour who would be backed by actual lefties... was that ever going to go down well in middle England.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Talk that Gove will be back.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads