Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Not all Kippers are xenophobes, against mass immigration and/or racist.

Corbyn is also prepared to leave the EU if it's the best option (if we see anything like we did with Greece ever again then we may see an anti EU Labour)

Corbyn appeals to a lot of people, from all over the political landscape. I was in Grays last night (Tory/Kip place) yet the entire evening was dominated by conversation on Corbyn.

British people are generally left of centre, other than the Peter Hitchens types that you see all over Surrey. People want to see rail nationalisation, nationalisation of the energy sector and whenever the £375bn that we printed for the banks is mentioned people get very angry. I have no doubt that Corbyn will surprise many people, he's the one that will give the Tories a run for their money.
    But do they want renationalisation or do they just want lower prices? I expect the latter not the former because they are led to believe that a bajillion quid go into profits, so they thing nationalised sectors will lead to lower bills. As for QE, what about it annoys them? Something Corbyn will do nothing about, or the bit he will do again a hundred times over.

What has to be remembered is that people often think they know what they want, but actually don't, at least not the means, such as with the nationalisation, or they are incapable of understanding the reasoning for something and the consequences of not doing it, such as bailing out the banks, which is completely different to QE, but then again, you don't even understand QE.

ReputationRep:

Corbyn is also prepared to leave the EU if it's the best option (if we see anything like we did with Greece ever again then we may see an anti EU Labour)

Corbyn appeals to a lot of people, from all over the political landscape. I was in Grays last night (Tory/Kip place) yet the entire evening was dominated by conversation on Corbyn.

British people are generally left of centre, other than the Peter Hitchens types that you see all over Surrey. People want to see rail nationalisation, nationalisation of the energy sector and whenever the £375bn that we printed for the banks is mentioned people get very angry. I have no doubt that Corbyn will surprise many people, he's the one that will give the Tories a run for their money.
    I agree that not all Kippers are xenophobes and/or racist, but I believe that almost all are against mass immigration (i.e. the open door to the rest of the EU). Corbyn says he wants to accept more Syrian and other refugees (or economic migrants if they refuse to stay in Italy and France, which they pass through), which is not popular with many Kippers. While I am happy to take in some refugees, I, and many other Kippers, do not want to take in thousands of refugees, as we have already taken in more than many other countries.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But do they want renationalisation or do they just want lower prices? I expect the latter not the former because they are led to believe that a bajillion quid go into profits, so they thing nationalised sectors will lead to lower bills. As for QE, what about it annoys them? Something Corbyn will do nothing about, or the bit he will do again a hundred times over.
    1.Nationalised sectors, at least for rail and energy, will lead to lower bills
    2. There's the principle also, these aren't competitive industries and cannot thrive under a capitalist system
    3. People are pissed off about the fact that if they needed the state to bail them out they'd be screwed but the state is more than happy to help out a few bankers (not how I see it, but it's the way people think and I sympathise with it)
    4. People also find it bonkers how some of our trains are run by foreign state run companies that are taking their profits back to their countries.

What has to be remembered is that people often think they know what they want, but actually don't
    I agree, it's why we have a Tory government.

at least not the means, such as with the nationalisation, or they are incapable of understanding the reasoning for something and the consequences of not doing it, such as bailing out the banks, which is completely different to QE, but then again, you don't even understand QE.
    I do understand QE, I have a near-enough working knowledge of economics (not the best though, I'd be the first to admit that) but I know enough about the basics to be clear on the fact that trickle down economics doesn't work, money trickles up. Under the coalition government we've had poor people get worse off which means they have less money to spend, when poor people spend money it goes to the middle class, if poor people are poorer then the middle class declines, which is why inequality is so big an issue, the worse off the poor people, the worse off the middle class people, which increases the gap between the rich and poor. Inequality can be linked with crime, health inequality, job prospects, and all sorts. Any good economy needs some level of equality, if you want a good economy that works for everyone then you gotta vote Corbyn.

I don't disagree with bailing out the banks, but we now shouldn't sell our shares at a loss and we should have had the banks pay it back as a loan from the state, which is another thing that people up and down the country are pissed off about

ReputationRep:

Also, Grays is not just a Tory/Ukip place. Thurrock is a three-way marginal between the Conservatives, Labour, and UKIP. Even if it is not a Labour safe-seat, it should not be a surprise that people are talking about Corbyn, as his election is a significant event. People from all over the political spectrum would be talking about him.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    I agree that not all Kippers are xenophobes and/or racist, but I believe that almost all are against mass immigration (i.e. the open door to the rest of the EU). Corbyn says he wants to accept more Syrian and other refugees (or economic migrants if they refuse to stay in Italy and France, which they pass through), which is not popular with many Kippers. While I am happy to take in some refugees, I, and many other Kippers, do not want to take in thousands of refugees, as we have already taken in more than many other countries.
    We have taken about 5000

Turkey has taken about 2000000

How have we taken more than many other countries?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Also, Grays is not just a Tory/Ukip place. Thurrock is a three-way marginal between the Conservatives, Labour, and UKIP. Even if it is not a Labour safe-seat, it should not be a surprise that people are talking about Corbyn, as his election is a significant event. People from all over the political spectrum would be talking about him.
    The difference being it was all positive about him and I meant the company i was with were tory/ukip.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

You know Peter Hitchens supports rail renationalisation.

ReputationRep:
    We have taken about 5000

Turkey has taken about 2000000

How have we taken more than any other countries?
    The gulf states, which share a relatively similar culture to the Syrians, have hardly accepted any refugees. How about other developed countries which are not in Europe? How many have they accepted?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Yes but I didn't mean the man himself, rather the people that revere him as a voice for the right.

ReputationRep:
    The difference being it was all positive about him and I meant the company i was with were tory/ukip.
    I am positive about Corbyn too. He is going to help the Tories and UKIP win seats.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am positive about Corbyn too. He is going to help the Tories and UKIP win seats.
    Then you're either ignorant or naive.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes but I didn't mean the man himself, rather the people that revere him as a voice for the right.
    He does have some surprisingly 'left-wing' views. Which goes to show that some issues transcend left and right and simply make sense.

I do love listening to the Hitchen's brothers.

ReputationRep:
    it's not an inherently left wing position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Wait... Corbyn is eurosceptic? That's a big thing which might stop me voting labour 2020... If only he were a europhile he would be perfect.
    I think it is euroscepic in the Green party sense.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    it's not an inherently left wing position.
    Did you read the post I was responding to?

ReputationRep:
    Did you read the post I was responding to?
    Reading is for chumps
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Reading is for chumps
    Ok then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    He does have some surprisingly 'left-wing' views. Which goes to show that some issues transcend left and right and simply make sense.

I do love listening to the Hitchen's brothers.
    sometimes I listen to him speak and find myself absolutely stumped, I'll sit there thinking "This man used to be a Trot!"

ReputationRep:
    Then you're either ignorant or naive.
    I seriously doubt he is going to swing Tory and UKIP voters. I think some of the Blairite/third way Labourites might defect to the Lib Dems or the Tories, so I don't see how I'm ignorant or naive. Unless you have hard evidence to back your claim that Corbyn can swing those people, you have no right to call me ignorant or naive.

ReputationRep:
    When you speak to most UKIP voters, they aren't racist or bigoted. They don't hate foreigners. They hate the pressure put on public services and the decline in their standards in recent decades. What we need is a strong Labour leader to demonstrate how that is because of capitalism, austerity and neoliberialism, not immigration. Corbyn's that man.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.