Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im in year 11 and need to choose my a levels in the next week or so. I want to apply to oxford (in the future) and i was wondering if subjects such as politics or history of art are seen as 'easy subjects' compared to something like history. I want to do english lit. and a language/politics at uni. Thanks x

(Original post by Mkm15)
      Hi, im in year 11 and need to choose my a levels in the next week or so. I want to apply for oxford (in the future) and i was wondering if subjects such as politics or history of art are seen as 'easy subjects' compared to something like history. I want to do english lit. and a language/politics at uni. Thanks x
      Is it between them and history? because history is a highly regarded by universities, but more difficult to do well in
      Then again, I don't think doing one of those two would hugely harm your chances as long as your other subjects are strong (Universities like English lit and languages too)

I've got the feeling that as long as you have 2 strong subjects (Like English and history) then it doesn't really matter what your third one is, although if its related it may be helpful

Hope that helps, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cakeislife)
      Is it between them and history? because history is a highly regarded by universities, but more difficult to do well in
      Then again, I don't think doing one of those two would hugely harm your chances as long as your other subjects are strong (Universities like English lit and languages too)

I've got the feeling that as long as you have 2 strong subjects (Like English and history) then it doesn't really matter what your third one is, although if its related it may be helpful

Hope that helps, and good luck!
      No, I'm choosing English, French, Spanish and for my 4th I am trying to decide between History, History of art and politics!
      Also how much do GCSE grades affect your uni applications?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mkm15)
      Hi, im in year 11 and need to choose my a levels in the next week or so. I want to apply to oxford (in the future) and i was wondering if subjects such as politics or history of art are seen as 'easy subjects' compared to something like history. I want to do english lit. and a language/politics at uni. Thanks x
      BrasenoseAdm

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bobbybob12)
      Have you received an interview yet?
      No not yet, still waiting

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Karina_xo)
      I think that's a little harsh I would ask the same question- I know why I want to study my course and why at Oxford - I want to go to one of the best uni's in the world, and I want to study human sciences because I find it interesting. I know why I want these things but I don't know that these are the right answers to give to an interviewer - I don't know what they're looking for, they probably hear this exact thing from everyone so I would wanna know what other people are thinking of answering to this question to see if there's a way to set myself apart. Doesn't mean I or the person asking this question shouldn't have aplird

Posted from TSR Mobile
      The truth is that the question 'Why do you want to study at Oxford (Cambridge)? or why Brasenose (Christ's)? is a totally crap question.

How should you answer it?

You could say, 'Well I'm a big fan of prestige', or 'I'm trying to get ahead in life', or 'Well I just loooove the buildings.' These may all be TRUE but really not done!

Or you could try the toadying, "well it would be an honour to study at the same college as the great Jeffrey Archer (!)/ David Cameron/ Michael Palin/ Mylo/Toby Young"

Again might be true, and won't actually harm you

but

what you really need to do is to look at the tutors (be they college or department), find out what their particular interests are and then....READ UP ON THEM, then you can develop a LEGITIMATE reason for your choice.

Truth is this crap question is no more than an ice breaker, just make sure you have some kind of answer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by applying2skool)
      Oh no, not invalidate my original mark. My concern was that some universities don't accept students who take resits (like UCL, for Law). And I wanted to know if re-sitting exams is seen negatively by Oxford admissions.
      It just seems to me that in your example UCL are rejecting the original grade AND not accepting the re-sit grade.

In the Oxford case you have met the standard offer without recourse to re-sits. They will only reject you if they consider the other candidates are stronger. That's not really negative, it's just the nature of the competition.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ambre)
      No, I have never been to Christ Church...frankly I haven't even visited Oxford, or any of my other universities of choice. I've also applied to UCL!
      oh and you view yourself as one who truly 'sees' (whatever that means)?
      Oxford and Cambridge merely get SOME of the brightest and not necessarily the best. Many don't apply, and many dont get in because of shear bad luck - they were nervous and had a bad day at interview or made a few silly mistakes in an exam ( be it AS levels or the entrance exams). Lets be frank - the interview process is seriously flawed. You are not being interviewed by robots - humans can and do make more emotive decisions than they might like. Which subject tutor wants to let in a great but absolute ass of a student who will make three years of tutorials irritating? Better to let in the other students who are also great but are not going to make your 2 tutorials a week a pain.

A C Grayling established the New College of The Humanities in part because he saw how many brilliant students were being turned away by Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by georgeous31)
      Oxford and Cambridge merely get SOME of the brightest and not necessarily the best. Many don't apply, and many dont get in because of shear bad luck - they were nervous and had a bad day at interview or made a few silly mistakes in an exam ( be it AS levels or the entrance exams). Lets be frank - the interview process is seriously flawed. You are not being interviewed by robots - humans can and do make more emotive decisions than they might like. Which subject tutor wants to let in a great but absolute ass of a student who will make three years of tutorials irritating? Better to let in the other students who are also great but are not going to make your 2 tutorials a week a pain.

A C Grayling established the New College of The Humanities in part because he saw how many brilliant students were being turned away by Oxbridge.
      Of course! The interview process can never be perfect. Having met AC Graylimg, If I wanted to do a humanities subject (I can imagine myself studying art or philosophy) I would definitely go to his New College!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by umbala)
      The truth is that the question 'Why do you want to study at Oxford (Cambridge)? or why Brasenose (Christ's)? is a totally crap question.

How should you answer it?

You could say, 'Well I'm a big fan of prestige', or 'I'm trying to get ahead in life', or 'Well I just loooove the buildings.' These may all be TRUE but really not done!

Or you could try the toadying, "well it would be an honour to study at the same college as the great Jeffrey Archer (!)/ David Cameron/ Michael Palin/ Mylo/Toby Young"

Again might be true, and won't actually harm you

but

what you really need to do is to look at the tutors (be they college or department), find out what their particular interests are and then....READ UP ON THEM, then you can develop a LEGITIMATE reason for your choice.

Truth is this crap question is no more than an ice breaker, just make sure you have some kind of answer.
      Thankyou, this is actually really helpful, was struggling with giving such a cliched answer this definitely helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by applying2skool)
      Hey guys, quick question:
      What is Oxford's view, more specifically Magdalen's view, on applicants who've resat exams?

I did the IB and got 38 points (out of 45) with 7-6-6 at higher level - the equivalent of A*AA. So I already have my grades.But I also redid a maths exam a couple of days ago hoping to bump up my total to 40-41 points.

Considering I've already met the minimum requirement for the Law course, will this resit be viewed badly by the admissions team? I'm only getting my results in January, so I know this retake won't be seen as a positive addition to my application, but I want to make sure it's not a deterrent either.

I realised today one of the unis I'm applying to adamantly refuses to make offers for their Law courses to students who resit exams, A-Levels or otherwise. I tried to find info about this on Oxford's website, to no avail. Any advice/info is appreciated, thanks!
      (Original post by Pars12)
      It just seems to me that in your example UCL are rejecting the original grade AND not accepting the re-sit grade.In the Oxford case you have met the standard offer without recourse to re-sits. They will only reject you if they consider the other candidates are stronger. That's not really negative, it's just the nature of the competition.
      Must be this, UCL Law for IB is 39 points, not 38 (Your HL score is fine as it's 19).

https://www.laws.ucl.ac.uk/study/und...-requirements/

(Original post by Mkm15)
        No, I'm choosing English, French, Spanish and for my 4th I am trying to decide between History, History of art and politics!
        Also how much do GCSE grades affect your uni applications?
        For oxford I get the feeling that GCSEs are fairly important, and for competitive courses at other top universities I think they do take them into account to choose between candidates, but obviously aiming for the top grades is all you can do

And for A levels you already have 3 strong subjects, so I'd pick the one you like best (and would therefore be most likely to work hard for)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mkm15)
        i do history and politics (and classics) at A2 and I can definitely say that both are as hard as each other. some unis don't particularly like students doing politics because 1) they see it as a 'soft subject' (which it is NOT might I add) and 2) similarly for law, they don't like re-teaching you things due to the fact you may get confused. I would probably advise you, like some others have, to pick WHAT YOU WANT. each subject is difficult in their own right, and personally I would rather do a subject I enjoy and do well in rather than I don't like but other people would like me to do. Pick what you want, get good grades, do extra curriculars which link to your chosen degree and be passionate about your subjects!

ReputationRep:
        Could anyone guess when Economics and Management interviews are given out (or more generally when any TSA courses give out interviews)?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Pars12)
        It just seems to me that in your example UCL are rejecting the original grade AND not accepting the re-sit grade.

In the Oxford case you have met the standard offer without recourse to re-sits. They will only reject you if they consider the other candidates are stronger. That's not really negative, it's just the nature of the competition.
        Thanks for the info.

Your point on Oxford makes sense, I'm reassured that the fact that I retook an exam won't affect my chances whether negatively or positively. I have no problem with the nature of the competition, that's how they get some of the "best and brightest" like they like to say.

As for UCL, I haven't received any official rejection, I was just told that they do not accept students who resit exams. And because I don't make their minimum requirements (by one point in Maths SL) I'm expecting to get a rejection.
        So, they are rejecting my re-sit grade AND will (probably) reject my application because it doesn't meet the minimum grade.

Anyways, thanks for helping out!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ecconomist)
        Could anyone guess when Economics and Management interviews are given out (or more generally when any TSA courses give out interviews)?
        I did the TSA for PPE, but I have no idea when they would give out interview offers. I know if I got an interview it would be on the 6th December, so presumably I will get it by the end of November as the email says they will give a weeks notice. How did you find the TSA?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
        Must be this, UCL Law for IB is 39 points, not 38 (Your HL score is fine as it's 19).

https://www.laws.ucl.ac.uk/study/und...-requirements/
        Yes, I was aware that with my current grades I didn't meet the minimum grade requirements. What I didn't know is that they don't accept re-sits, so I've "wasted" one of my UCAS choices -perhaps their no re-sits policy should be mentioned in their entry requirements :P

I just wanted to hear people's experiences with re-sits and Oxford. Like I'd said earlier, I won't be getting my new grade till after Oxford send out their offers, so I don't expect it to be added to my application and impact it positively.

What I was worried about, was Oxford seeing my application in a bad light because I'd resat an exam. But from what I've gathered, they don't really care if you resit one exam. It simply won't affect my application. (So I've resat a maths exam just cuz it seems )

Thanks for the input

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cinderella97)
        I did the TSA for PPE, but I have no idea when they would give out interview offers. I know if I got an interview it would be on the 6th December, so presumably I will get it by the end of November as the email says they will give a weeks notice. How did you find the TSA?
        If it runs like previous years it will be around Wednesday 25/11/2015 for PPE

ReputationRep:
        Around when did history interview invitations begin to roll out last year?

(Original post by magic_is_might)
          i do history and politics (and classics) at A2 and I can definitely say that both are as hard as each other. some unis don't particularly like students doing politics because 1) they see it as a 'soft subject' (which it is NOT might I add) and 2) similarly for law, they don't like re-teaching you things due to the fact you may get confused. I would probably advise you, like some others have, to pick WHAT YOU WANT. each subject is difficult in their own right, and personally I would rather do a subject I enjoy and do well in rather than I don't like but other people would like me to do. Pick what you want, get good grades, do extra curriculars which link to your chosen degree and be passionate about your subjects!
          I have the same issue with art being a 'soft option' and it's so much harder than my two 'difficult options' -_-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.