This discussion is closed.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Flippi1)
Or of course the fishing college might make you sit the TSA !! If you are going to apply to an institution like Cambridge you have to expect them to use whatever they have in their preverbial arsenal to select you - it's a very selective place !! Plus even if they don't use the TSA they will have some form of test they use.... I applied to a college that does not use the TSA - the test I had to sit ; an hour essay exam was much harder than the TSA in my humble opinion.
They are unlikely to ask a candidate in the pool to sit a further test. Sometimes (rarely) they do call them for an additional interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
novatech
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
The fishing college would use the data already on file. I guess if they feel TSA is v important then they wouldn't fish candidates who don't have it.

(Yes he is.)
Thank you .
Mutleybm1996
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Hi guys and gals, third mark here! Next time it'll definitely be an offer holders thread :eek:

Best of luck with all your applications to Cambridge and elsewhere.

No polls on this thread :mmm: except maybe an offer, and no offer to see how many TSR peeps get them.

Enter your details on university connect!. It'll be an easier way to stalk others and make friends.

Stalking Page Google Document

Safer stalking page is here, and the results are here, with some automatically generated pie charts here.

And also there's the stalking thread page if you prefer that... Which is below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=50582413

And so it begins 

Decisions Thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=52629009

There'll be an offers holders thread eventually too... When the dreaded day comes.

Please add your details to an appropriate page above.
Hi can you check your messages please? I'm having a slight breakdown 😂🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Renee8100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know if there's any way I can get access to my actual interview reports, what they said about the essay I sent in, etc.? I asked for feedback but I just received a template style letter that was more like "this is why we rejected you" than feedback and I don't really feel it was sufficient...
Elcor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Renee8100)
Does anyone know if there's any way I can get access to my actual interview reports, what they said about the essay I sent in, etc.? I asked for feedback but I just received a template style letter that was more like "this is why we rejected you" than feedback and I don't really feel it was sufficient...
I think based on some act or whatever they are obliged to give you all the notes they made from your application (like your interviewer's reports) if you request them.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
I think based on some act or whatever they are obliged to give you all the notes they made from your application (like your interviewer's reports) if you request them.
Strictly speaking the Data Protection Act only applies to computerised data, not hand written notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
newblood
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Renee8100)
just reply back to them and thank them for the feedback, but say you were hoping specificically for info in blah blah blah (aka the stuff you said above). then they might either say we dont tell you stuff like that , in which case theres not much you can do, or they will tell you whatever you asked
Decay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

I've got an offer from Cambridge for Computer Science with Mathematics.
The offer is: A* A* A with A* in Mathematics, A* in Further Mathematics, A in Physics.
And I,I in STEP II and STEP III

I am worried that I will not be able to satisfy the STEP requirement.
I am aware that for those applying for Mathematics there is no forgiveness when it comes to failing STEPs, however I am wondering if it is different for CompSci with Mathematics.
Does anyone know how strict they are with their STEP requirements when it comes to Computer Science?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Decay)
Hey,

I've got an offer from Cambridge for Computer Science with Mathematics.
The offer is: A* A* A with A* in Mathematics, A* in Further Mathematics, A in Physics.
And I,I in STEP II and STEP III

I am worried that I will not be able to satisfy the STEP requirement.
I am aware that for those applying for Mathematics there is no forgiveness when it comes to failing STEPs, however I am wondering if it is different for CompSci with Mathematics.
Does anyone know how strict they are with their STEP requirements when it comes to Computer Science?
They are pretty strict but if you miss you MIGHT get swapped to CS with NatSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freestyle29
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Slightly panicking about the possibility of missing my offer, if that happens what are the chances of still getting in? Thanks
Rhetorical Hips
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Freestyle29)
Slightly panicking about the possibility of missing my offer, if that happens what are the chances of still getting in? Thanks
Same here
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Freestyle29)
(Original post by Rhetorical Hips)
Same here
Impossible to say, as it varies by subject and from year to year. There is a Summer Pool, which is much less of an enterprise than the Winter Pool, where people who have missed their offers by not very much are considered for places arising in other colleges because of people missing their offers by a lot.
anonymousp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dear Shelley

Thanks for your explanation hope you get the grades good luck with exams

Offered a place at Robinson to read history but have been working in Sweden and Germany since Jan and not following emails much hence delay in reply
Would love to know how you get to be an exalted member

Is it high numbers of emails or quality of them

best P

(Original post by ShellySpielberg)
I'll give a brief explanation based on what I understood from the admissions handbook I posted earlier.
I got pooled by Robinson. Didn't get fished out of the pool originally. The DoS of VetMed (I think they're from St.Catz and Girton) look at the pile of people who were in the unfished pile of pool applicants and choose a set number of people for open offers, this year it was 3 for vetmed. I got one of those 3 offers. They then allocated me to Queens, who are my underwritten college. As in, they take charge of my application temporarily to ensure I get all the same written communications as everyone else. In August if I meet my offer, I will get put in a college that has spaces in its quota due to people not meeting offers. If no college doesnt meet its quota because everyone meets their offer, I will be going to Queens (only if I meet my offer of course)
This only applies to vets and medics. I'm not sure about the process for medics, but the open offer is a definite conditional offer of a place, you just don't know where.
Sorry if there are any mistakes in my explanation and for the long response. Hope it helps and answers your question!
I'm assuming you've applied to Robinson too? Have you heard back yet and what course? I never heard back from them... just heard back from the DoS who chose the open offers...
Good luck and hope you get good news (if you're still waiting)!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ShellySpielberg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymousp)
Dear Shelley

Thanks for your explanation hope you get the grades good luck with exams

Offered a place at Robinson to read history but have been working in Sweden and Germany since Jan and not following emails much hence delay in reply
Would love to know how you get to be an exalted member

Is it high numbers of emails or quality of them

best P
Oh wow that sounds exciting! (Gap year?)
Congrats on your offer!!
As to the status on tsr sorry I have no idea... I don't really check my profile that often ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
arjro
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi guys, i am currently in year 11, and i was wondering what are the base GCSE grades that you are expected to get in order to study medicine at cambridge? I know what they officially say; minimum of C, and A's in Maths, English, and the sciences, but what do you believe to be the average?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arjro)
Hi guys, i am currently in year 11, and i was wondering what are the base GCSE grades that you are expected to get in order to study medicine at cambridge? I know what they officially say; minimum of C, and A's in Maths, English, and the sciences, but what do you believe to be the average?
You can see the spread of A*s at GCSE here (2012 data). Very few offers with less than 5 A*, most seem to be 8+ A*.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 19.38.53.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  235.6 KB
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arjro)
You can see the spread of A*s at GCSE here (2012 data). Very few offers with less than 5 A*, most seem to be 8+ A*.

Just want to add that the blue points represent a rejection, although they try to put it more nicely in the graph.
arjro
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

(Original post by Elcor)
Just want to add that the blue points represent a rejection, although they try to put it more nicely in the graph.
Thank you! This is perfect, by the way...what chance do you think i would have with 9/10 A*'s and 3/2 A's?
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arjro)
Thank you! This is perfect, by the way...what chance do you think i would have with 9/10 A*'s and 3/2 A's?
Definitely worth applying with that. No one can tell you what your chance is - so many factors come into it: work experience, school reference, personal statement, interview performance, admission test performance, A Level UMS, etc. If you get anywhere near 10A*s, apply!
AlfieD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arjro)
I got 2A*s at GCSE and got an offer, not for Medicine though so I'm not sure if it's different for different subjects
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise