Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Remain is going to be battered again tonight, Boris and Patel vs Salmomd and Kendall

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Der Spiegel are also reporting that Junker is expected to make an intervention next week, although it's likely a face saving exercise for him rather than a genuine attempt to win us over.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    TNS also show a 7 point lead for leave, remain only having one poll lead in the last week, brexit here we come!

ReputationRep:
    lol at Boris 'battering' anyone
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Interesting looking at this that most bills seem to be introduced by the House of Lords not commons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Interesting looking at this that most bills seem to be introduced by the House of Lords not commons.
    So much for the EU's 'democratic deficit'.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Der Spiegel are also reporting that Junker is expected to make an intervention next week, although it's likely a face saving exercise for him rather than a genuine attempt to win us over.
    In reality, the only people likely to have heard of him are diehard Eurofanatics or eurosceptics, so to the average person on the street, they probably have no idea who he is and he will probably make no difference to the campaign; thus like you say, it's a face-saving exercise. The only impact it might have is negative for those wishing to remain in, painting the picture of the EU trying to tell us what to do again and thus pushing more people towards Brexit.

TNS also show a 7 point lead for leave, remain only having one poll lead in the last week, brexit here we come!
    My only concern is complacency - we still have to push for every vote we can in these last few days. For me, the Brexit campaign just needs to keep up its positive view of Britain and using lines such as 'rejoining the world' - it's that positivity which is moving people towards the door.

Also, thought you might be interested - Nottingham have again delayed their NUS disaffiliation referendum result until tomorrow, apparently to consider 'complaints' which were raised on Thursday by the looks of it (https://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/news...ndum-13062016/).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    In reality, the only people likely to have heard of him are diehard Eurofanatics or eurosceptics, so to the average person on the street, they probably have no idea who he is and he will probably make no difference to the campaign; thus like you say, it's a face-saving exercise. The only impact it might have is negative for those wishing to remain in, painting the picture of the EU trying to tell us what to do again and thus pushing more people towards Brexit.
    He couldn't possibly let us leave with no comments at all, he might be criticised for not doing enough, but he cannot be criticised for not doing anything. And while the average person doesn't know who he is, depending on when he talks and what he says it could easily be used by the leave campaign "president of the European Commission..."

My only concern is complacency - we still have to push for every vote we can in these last few days. For me, the Brexit campaign just needs to keep up its positive view of Britain and using lines such as 'rejoining the world' - it's that positivity which is moving people towards the door.
    I don't think complacency is going to be as much of an issue as it could have been for remain given brexit supporters tend to me more die hard certain to vote, after all, many of us have been waiting for decades (or our entire adult life and adolescent) for the opportunity to leave, when polls only look at those certain to vote our lead grows even more.

Also, thought you might be interested - Nottingham have again delayed their NUS disaffiliation referendum result until tomorrow, apparently to consider 'complaints' which were raised on Thursday by the looks of it (https://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/news...ndum-13062016/).
    It's got to the point where there is no point in expecting results, probably staying anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    So much for the EU's 'democratic deficit'.
    Exactly, it's really suprising that easily 70% of all the bills presented to Parliment have come from the lords which really makes me wonder what our MP's are even doing!

Yougov poll suggesting that 40% think we'll stay in the eu and 44% think we will leave. I have a feeling that most people voted beset on how they will vote (hence why 84% of kippers said we'll leave). Which is very scary although 16% don't knows are more likely to swing to the status quo.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Exactly, it's really suprising that easily 70% of all the bills presented to Parliment have come from the lords which really makes me wonder what our MP's are even doing!

Yougov poll suggesting that 40% think we'll stay in the eu and 44% think we will leave. I have a feeling that most people voted beset on how they will vote (hence why 84% of kippers said we'll leave). Which is very scary although 16% don't knows are more likely to swing to the status quo.
    And what are the stats for those supporting remain, last I saw it was something stupid like 90% think we will stay. The bookies last I saw (earlier today) give it as 42% chance of leaving, but that is increasing rapidly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    And what are the stats for those supporting remain, last I saw it was something stupid like 90% think we will stay. The bookies last I saw (earlier today) give it as 42% chance of leaving, but that is increasing rapidly.
    As in 90% of remainers or 90% of the people? If the latter like I said according to the poll 40% think we will stay, if you mean remainers... I have no data.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    As in 90% of remainers or 90% of the people? If the latter like I said according to the poll 40% think we will stay, if you mean remainers... I have no data.
    of Remainers
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    of Remainers
    Like I said no data.
    Another interesting article, again showing that the referendum is too close to call.

ReputationRep:
    As Independance day grows nearer, there is only one thing we can think of
    'Free at last! Free at last! Thank goodness, we are free at last!'

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully if we leave, it will destroy the Tories at the next election. That will be the silver lining. Labour could pretty much win 2020 by campaigning on a platform to re-enter the EU, or, if it hasn't been finalised yet, to not leave. I suspect many of those who vote Tory due to their 'economic responsibility' will see how the Tory party trying to leave the EU, and Cameron offering a referendum, is the single most economically irresponsible thing done by any party in decades, and punish them for it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Hopefully if we leave, it will destroy the Tories at the next election. That will be the silver lining. Labour could pretty much win 2020 by campaigning on a platform to re-enter the EU, or, if it hasn't been finalised yet, to not leave. I suspect many of those who vote Tory due to their 'economic responsibility' will see how the Tory party trying to leave the EU, and Cameron offering a referendum, is the single most economically irresponsible thing done by any party in decades, and punish them for it.
    Unfortunately I don't see how we could rejoin, or at least we couldn't without agreeing to join the euro, agreeing to "ever closer union" (something which I actually want but would be political suicide) and all of the bonuses we currently have in the EU because we all think we are 'special' and have an island state mentality. And labour would only win if the recession does happen, which it should...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    That is a surefire way to ensure that Labour gets under 100 seats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that a platform of promising to overturn a referendum result is really going to sit well with the public.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    As Independance day grows nearer, there is only one thing we can think of
    'Free at last! Free at last! Thank goodness, we are free at last!'
    I'm actually starting to get increasingly anxious about it all.

That's wishful thinking and won't actually win Labour many seats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    That is a surefire way to ensure that Labour gets under 100 seats.
    Nah. Labour supporters overwhelmingly support remaining, and this will ensure the votes of centrists who care about the economy.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.