Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    I love it was only a week ago the whole country was all 'oooh, London 2012, venues finished in time, aren't we brilliant, won't it be wonderful' and now London and bits the rest of the country are being smashed up. Also disgusted that people were attacking the paramedics. Attacking police is deplorable but given the background of the unrest slightly understandable. Attacking paramedics? That's just not on.

Slight disclaimer in that I'm a small city girl and have rarely been to London so don't really know where places in it are or how big it is.
    Frighteningly big - one of the world's biggest, which people don't necessarily appreciate (definite West End/South Bank bubble when visiting). The challenges there are unique in that respect: that's a lot of city and a lot of idiots for the Met to cover.

Footage of idiots helping an injured guy to his feet then stealing stuff from his backpack (dude was dazed) was disgraceful. Didn't know paramedics were attacked - also disgraceful. This ain't Current Affairs, so I'll just say the police need to be a lot less passive than they have been and leave it at that.

(Original post by Elles)
    Wow... 2 neg reps from medic forum lurkers for that - intriguing!
    Guess people feel strongly about chicken or not paying for the things they take home.:eek:
    Almost certainly the former - strong love for chicken out there :yep: twas a grave day indeed when the local Nando's had no chicken (oven broke)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Almost certainly the former - strong love for chicken out there :yep: twas a grave day indeed when the local Nando's had no chicken (oven broke)...
    I didn't say I wanted to see them on fire - just that I am not a patron. That leaves more (potentially poisonous) chicken for the rest of you - no..?

ReputationRep:
    i have an osce tomorrow and 24hr news feeds have proved seriously distracting these last few days!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Nandos, I'm heading there right now :awesome:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Speaking of Nandos, I'm heading there right now :awesome:
    I got to use my NHS discount the other day :awesome:

Surprised they accepted it, given that it was in my home rather than uni town :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I got to use my NHS discount the other day :awesome:

Surprised they accepted it, given that it was in my home rather than uni town :p:
    Do they give it to medical students or just NHS workers (are you a HCA or something)?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Do they give it to medical students or just NHS workers (are you a HCA or something)?
    I have an ID badge (and door opener thing) for the hospital closest to our uni (the NNUH) and all medical students are given it in their first year, because we're so clinical so early on and to get into our clinical skills training area at the hospital you need the pass

But yeah, I just got it cause I'm a medical student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I have an ID badge (and door opener thing) for the hospital closest to our uni (the NNUH) and all medical students are given it in their first year, because we're so clinical so early on and to get into our clinical skills training area at the hospital you need the pass

But yeah, I just got it cause I'm a medical student
    Damn it, my student ID card does all that. Lame.

ReputationRep:
    Went to Costco, in South Wales, today to buy some new glasses. They had all the display cases locked up because of looting in the UK. They're also baring the entrances tonight with shopping trollies etc to make the shop safe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Attacking paramedics? That's just not on.
    Sadly it looks like quite a few people see ambulances as fair game. I'm doing my elective with the ambulance service at the moment - to say my twelve-hour shift yesterday was tense would be something of an understatement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phryx)
    Went to Costco, in South Wales, today to buy some new glasses. They had all the display cases locked up because of looting in the UK. They're also baring the entrances tonight with shopping trollies etc to make the shop safe!
    Really? I heard there was a bit of looting in Newport but it was really just a bunch of chavs gathered in the city center. I can't imagine people looting anywhere other than Cardiff, Swansea or Newport and the former two seemed all quiet.

Better safe than sorry I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if you guys have seen this, but I laughed when I probably shouldn't have...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Dunno if you guys have seen this, but I laughed when I probably shouldn't have...

Lmao, I was expecting him to cross and get hit by a car in a massive spectacle.

ReputationRep:
    Haha that was pretty funny actually

ReputationRep:
    Evening all I hope you've enjoyed the nice day. I have a question for all you TSR med lurkers old and young...

Do you think there is scope for a 'revision guide' in medicine for preclinical years?

The older years are well acquainted with the big texts, cheese and onion, medicine at a glance to name a few of the good ones, but I can't help get the feeling they're a bit too detailed for the first years, which is why I didn't know about them until my clinical years.

As part of my revision I took all of my notes and condensed them into a few brightly coloured sheets of A4 with cool looking diagrams and the salient facts, and had planned to give this out to the incoming year1/2... with added interesting bits now I've skimmed over some texts.

However, RSM are holding a competition at the moment for medical book writing and I thought instead I might snazz it up a little and submit it - what do you guys think?

I'd appreciate your sage views and any advice/ideas please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    Evening all I hope you've enjoyed the nice day. I have a question for all you TSR med lurkers old and young...

Do you think there is scope for a 'revision guide' in medicine for preclinical years?

The older years are well acquainted with the big texts, cheese and onion, medicine at a glance to name a few of the good ones, but I can't help get the feeling they're a bit too detailed for the first years, which is why I didn't know about them until my clinical years.

As part of my revision I took all of my notes and condensed them into a few brightly coloured sheets of A4 with cool looking diagrams and the salient facts, and had planned to give this out to the incoming year1/2... with added interesting bits now I've skimmed over some texts.

However, RSM are holding a competition at the moment for medical book writing and I thought instead I might snazz it up a little and submit it - what do you guys think?

Define pre-clinical though. There are very few medical schools left with a real divide anymore. Do you mean a basic sciences/physiology/anatomy revision guide?

ReputationRep:

Yeah I think it'd be a good idea if done right. I guess you mean for the more anatomy/physiology/pharmacology stuff? I haven't seen many books that are specifically revision books for this area, though the at a glance series has them for individual "modules".

What sort of stuff were you thinking of putting in there?

ReputationRep:

If it's done well, I think it's a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Define pre-clinical though.
    Preclinical = The years before you start doing full time clinical rotations, usually the majority in an inpatient setting attached to a firm, where you no longer study the theory and mechanisms of normal function and pathological states instead focussing on the practical skills surrounding medicine such as history taking, examination, diagnosis and day to day management of acute illness.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Preclinical = The years before you start doing full time clinical rotations, usually the majority in an inpatient setting attached to a firm, where you no longer study the theory and mechanisms of normal function and pathological states instead focussing on the practical skills surrounding medicine such as history taking, examination, diagnosis and day to day management of acute illness.
    What about those of us who began learning these ^ alongside the traditional preclinical theory?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.