This discussion is closed.
LostInLaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rascacielos)
x
re #6: She didn't, that was the language of her people in the Gamma Forest.
olivea
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think River Song is a time lord because she was conceived in the tardis. I think that Lorna is going to be in the doctor's future.
HereBeDragons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let's kill Hitler = The Killer Still

:holmes:
HereBeDragons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, a lot of references to Greek in this (Gamma forests, Omega signs, etc), which is interesting - particularly with the whole Rory is a Roman thing going on...
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stargatecrazy)
That isn't a paradox though. And that was The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang. Not TIA.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of time rules Moffat has broken...

I'm still reserving a full opinion until Let's Kill Hitler (really? That's really the next episode's title?! )...when hopefully some stuff will be explained... :holmes:
Sorry, I was making another reference there (albeit a very unclear one) about how there was some sort of paradox/odd situation in TIA as well where River basically existed twice - in her older form and in her astronaut form.

Yeah, when I saw the next episode title, I went :facepalm:. Sure, that's the sort of thing the Doctor would say but I'm fairly sure Hitler must be a fixed point in time.... surely?!
fwed1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stargatecrazy)
That wasn't biological or genetic. James and Lily couldn't speak it. That's purely because Voldemort made Harry a horcrux I suppose you could argue that i t becomes Harry's genetics...but he wasn't born with it in his genetics.

River was born with time lord DNA in her genetics...doesn't mean she can read Gallifreyan!....I don't think Stupid timey wimey

Funny cos River was born being able to speak baby and I'm sure no one taught her that
nbrz_emma
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just had a few more thoughts/questions about A Good Man Goes To War:
1. There has to be some sort of paradox machine involved here somewhere, I swear. As someone else has said, River (are we still calling her River by the way, or Melody?) was around before Rory even existed, presuming River/Melody is his daughter. Also, River effectively met herself in the Impossible Astronaut, which is a paradox that the Doctor has previously pointed out can't exist, although 'Time Crash' would indicate otherwise. :dontknow: I'm thinking that, if there is paradox, the Silence have something to do with it, perhaps that was why they needed Amy in the second episode of this series (I forget its name!). Or, is it possible that there is actually a flesh Tardis which they have used, a bit like the Master, to create a paradox machine? I suspect another of Madame K's traps is lying in wait here.
2. Also, something else I've noticed: since when did the Doctor's enemies fight for him?! Last time I checked he was threatening to blow up a Sontaran battle ship etc and then view helped imprison him in the Pandorica.... And now they're helping him grow stronger? Doesn't seem right to me. Also, I don't imagine the Cybermen were too impressed that the Doctor exploded their fleet either. Another Mme K trap I think.
3. Also we still haven't cleared up the issue of River killing a good man. It seems too obvious to be the Doctor but then the River/Melody business also seemed too obvious... I guess we'll find out in the autumn. Anyone have a confirmation of the starting date btw? I imagine I'm going to have to organise Fresher's fortnight around it!
4. If Amy is going to locate baby Melody then surely she's going to have to leave to look after it? Maybe River will become the new companion...
5. Have we figured out the significance of the little girl regenerating in the street yet, or was that just a clue? Didn't the Doctor land in the same time period though (1888 I think, with the Silurian?)
6. How come Lorna Bucket can write Galifrean (sp?)? I'm presuming this is a mystery to be revealed next episode. So glad there's an important character with my name though (even if the Doctor doesn't remember her :cry2:).
7. Much praise to Moffat for coming up with this plot such a long time ago though. Takes some skill.

Blimey that took a long time to write on a touch phone. It was so worth it though!

Lorna Bucket can't write Galifrean...it was written in her own language, which is why it translated for Amy where the writing on the crib didnt. In the forest, they dont have a word for Pond so it translated to River for Amy.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
It wasn't Gallifreyan as Gallifreyan can't be translated by the tardis. It was the language of her people.
Fair point. :facepalm:
Yoghurt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
3. Also we still haven't cleared up the issue of River killing a good man. It seems too obvious to be the Doctor but then the River/Melody business also seemed too obvious... I guess we'll find out in the autumn. Anyone have a confirmation of the starting date btw? I imagine I'm going to have to organise Fresher's fortnight around it!
I'm convinced she's calling her Father the best man she's ever known. ie Rory

5. Have we figured out the significance of the little girl regenerating in the street yet, or was that just a clue? Didn't the Doctor land in the same time period though (1888 I think, with the Silurian?)
If i remember correctly the little girl was regenerating in 1970
nbrz_emma
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Yoghurt)
Interesting....Another time in which the Doctor/Rory are mistaken for each other perhaps?
HereBeDragons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I thought that after seeing her expression when Rory turned up at her cell and asked if she knew who he was
bufferz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the 1st episode, when he is killed, is "the doctor" actually flesh, hence he was asked to be burnt so as not to prove he wasnt "real"? as in his current timeline, he now knows whats going to happen.....
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Speculation about who was in the spacesuit:

Headless monk...literally headless, hence why when visor was opened Doctor would have seen the lack of head...

Kovarian herself

If it is River I feel this series will have gone downhill with it's predictability
Tasneemo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know if this is real?
https://groups.google.com/group/rec....45f05e9b213df9

Look at the top comment, the name of the person who posted it and the date it was posted...
it looks it, because check this rant out - https://groups.google.com/group/rec....860ccc178ed0fe
HereBeDragons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bufferz)
In the 1st episode, when he is killed, is "the doctor" actually flesh, hence he was asked to be burnt so as not to prove he wasnt "real"? as in his current timeline, he now knows whats going to happen.....
But when FleshBaby was shot with just a normal weapon, it turned into a puddle, so surely the doctor who was killed would have done too?
Keckers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to say that the good man that River kills is Rory.

It's just too obvious for it to be the Doctor.
Tasneemo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Speculation about who was in the spacesuit:

Headless monk...literally headless, hence why when visor was opened Doctor would have seen the lack of head...

Kovarian herself

If it is River I feel this series will have gone downhill with it's predictability
Spoiler:
Show
I've paused the bit where the spaceperson takes their visor off before they kill the doctor, and theres definitely a jaw and a little hair...
Yoghurt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bufferz)
I mentioned this earlier this evening, but i think this clip at the end of the episode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsHlceIyM74

... is under water, and the skelton hand is the REAL dead doctor and that he will be somehow resurrected.
Kalliope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
I think I leapt upon you too harshly. :sorry:

My main argument was against your point that you could not learn a language through biology or genetics, that you had to learn it through being taught or picking it up.

Not necessarily true, definitely not in fiction. Though like you said in your second paragraph, it could be that having Time Lord DNA enabled her to then learn/be taught Gallifreyan as she grew up.
It's okay, I just think you are confusing me with someone else. Maybe someone with a similar avatar/username? It's just that I haven't said *anything* in the thread about learning a language, my sole post here is below (spoilered as I have no idea how to link single posts :holmes: about guy - how do I do it?), and I hadn't posted since. For what it's worth, I agree with you!

Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by BookWormShanti)
Spectacular. Loved it. Truly, truly, truly brilliant!

I mean - sure, saw that coming a mile off! Not just the River Song/Melody Pond thing, which was ridiculously obvious from the get go, but the Doctor as a Monk, the death of blue guy, the whole leaf/translation, the only water left in the forest is the river I all predicted before they happened (but in the course of the episode). But I don't mind, because it was BRILLIANT and I was HAPPY and I just completely, completely, completely lovedfangirlyloved it.

Awesome how there's still LOTS left to be excited by. I think the forest is going to turn up again and all of that, and so the name on the cradle - how does that work? Alex Kingston said it was the Doctor's name, but that confused me slightly. As did the bit in confidential where she was talking about different children in the cradle and spoilering :holmes: Oh but OH!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tasneemo)
x
If what you've quoted me is actually a spoiler I won't read it...I don't read spoilers...if it's speculation, let me know and I'll go read it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (189)
39.54%
No - but I will (28)
5.86%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.9%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.7%

Watched Threads