Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Isn't it meant to be January I heard? Because they are giving Moffat a big send off.
    Well he'll be writing his own send off so we'll see how that goes... I think it would be really cool if he did a cameo in his last episode.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Toughtee)
    Well he'll be writing his own send off so we'll see how that goes... I think it would be really cool if he did a cameo in his last episode.
    Personally I think bringing the doctors daughter (moffat's actual daughter) back would be far better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Personally I think bringing the doctors daughter (moffat's actual daughter) back would be far better.
    That is a great idea, I hope he does an episode similar to Journey's End where he gets all his characters together for one last time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Oh yeah, 12 episodes means it'll finish late June -mid July.
    And it probably won't be great.. At least study kitchens get free tv licences and a freeview TV.
    Unfortunately only en-suite flats get TVs in the kitchen in Constantine. I'll just have to rely on the single remaining iPlayer loophole - if you run your device off battery power while watching TV, and don't plug it in, you can technically still use your parents' TV licence and don't have to pay. So I'll use that method for Doctor Who, Class (the spin-off), Sherlock and a couple of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Georgia Moffett isn't Steven Moffat's daughter. She's the daughter of Peter Davison (5th Doctor).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Georgia Moffett isn't Steven Moffat's daughter. She's the daughter of Peter Davison (5th Doctor).
    Ohhhh, I remembered that she was someone's daughter so I guess I assumed that she was his.

Unfortunately only en-suite flats get TVs in the kitchen in Constantine. I'll just have to rely on the single remaining iPlayer loophole - if you run your device off battery power while watching TV, and don't plug it in, you can technically still use your parents' TV licence and don't have to pay. So I'll use that method for Doctor Who, Class (the spin-off), Sherlock and a couple of others.
    Seriously?! I was under the impression that they all had a TV...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ohhhh, I remembered that she was someone's daughter so I guess I assumed that she was his.

Seriously?! I was under the impression that they all had a TV...
    Yep, the only TVs we can access are the ones in the common room, which will probably be crowded/noisy/have constant news or sport. It's frustrating, so I'm hoping the new iPlayer loophole doesn't change until I leave university - otherwise there won't be a way for me to watch any BBC content!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yep, the only TVs we can access are the ones in the common room, which will probably be crowded/noisy/have constant news or sport. It's frustrating, so I'm hoping the new iPlayer loophole doesn't change until I leave university - otherwise there won't be a way for me to watch any BBC content!
    are you not looking at leaving uni accommodation ever
    And yeah you are right I was hoping for early morning watching the news or late night Dave/BBC1 ahh well.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got round to ordering the Series 9 DVD! One of my favourite ever series so I look forward to watching it again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can give further thought as i go through the series..

Series 4 - Utterly Brilliant is pretty much all i can say. Pretty much every episode is top notch and Turn Left is the best episode ever. Bring back Tate and paradoxes and common thread through the series with a climatic end.

Series 5 - I warmed to Smith very quickly and there were some great episodes such as the Byzanteum two part. The Weeping Angels should be around more often.

Series 6 - The poorest series by far. There were some very good episodes like the doctors wife, The curse of the black spot and the river episodes in the middle. On the whole though i thought that Rory was a bit along for the ride and there were a number of poor episodes. I was quite a fan of Dorian.

The opening sequence to series 5 absolutely rules, that should be the Vortex!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Series 5 - I warmed to Smith very quickly and there were some great episodes such as the Byzanteum two part. The Weeping Angels should be around more often.
    I really don't like how they showed the angels moving in the second part...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really don't like how they showed the angels moving in the second part...
    Agreed. I prefer my Angels to be quantum locked.

ReputationRep:
    Their ability to apparently choose to be quantum locked completely screws up the ending of Blink! I've decided to imagine that scene as not canon, or perhaps what Amy is imagining is happening.

ReputationRep:
    I'm entirely 10000000000% obsessed with Doctor Who, I could rewatch the same episodes so many times and not get bored, just excited!

ReputationRep:
    Their ability to apparently choose to be quantum locked completely screws up the ending of Blink! I've decided to imagine that scene as not canon, or perhaps what Amy is imagining is happening.
    They are quantum locked though. In the scene, Amy has her eyes closed (hence she can't find the communicator) so the angels can move freely. They are only locked into a state of non-movement when they are being observed.

Also, the ending to Blink (while I love the episode) is a bit iffy, at best. If angels were able to quantum lock each other then they never would have developed as a species and they would never appear in groups. Heck, even before the Tardis disappears all of the angels can see each other (a single angel can only see 2 other angels as they couldn't see the angel exactly opposite them, but since they are stood in a square all of them would be being observed).

There are a lot of complaints about things from season 6 due to the "flawed logic" of things like the weeping angels episode, yet the logic was already flawed to begin with and nobody complained about the lack of logic in Blink. I think people just like to rag on season 6 because personally, I enjoyed it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    They are quantum locked though. In the scene, Amy has her eyes closed (hence she can't find the communicator) so the angels can move freely. They are only locked into a state of non-movement when they are being observed.

Also, the ending to Blink (while I love the episode) is a bit iffy, at best. If angels were able to quantum lock each other then they never would have developed as a species and they would never appear in groups. Heck, even before the Tardis disappears all of the angels can see each other (a single angel can only see 2 other angels as they couldn't see the angel exactly opposite them, but since they are stood in a square all of them would be being observed).

There are a lot of complaints about things from season 6 due to the "flawed logic" of things like the weeping angels episode, yet the logic was already flawed to begin with and nobody complained about the lack of logic in Blink. I think people just like to rag on season 6 because personally, I enjoyed it.
    The Angels were season 5, series 6 was pretty much all about River.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

The issue with the lock is that the doctor said that the angels 'instincts kick in' when Clara acts like she can see so they were all stationary when they shouldn't have been.

ReputationRep:

But one of the (many) great things about Blink is that even when no characters are looking at the angels, but they camera is, they're still quantum locked. I always thought that was kind of a cool 4th wall break type thing!

But I agree series 6 probably gets a little too much of a bad rap.

ReputationRep:
    The Angels were season 5, series 6 was pretty much all about River.
    My bad then . I could have been thinking about season 5 when I said I liked that season . It's been so long that they're all the same in my head at this point . Still though, the angel comments still apply .

(Original post by Aph)
    The issue with the lock is that the doctor said that the angels 'instincts kick in' when Clara acts like she can see so they were all stationary when they shouldn't have been.
    This isn't an issue with the season 5 episode though. Anything to do with Clara was after this episode so the issue is with that episode, not the episode with Amy.

But one of the (many) great things about Blink is that even when no characters are looking at the angels, but they camera is, they're still quantum locked. I always thought that was kind of a cool 4th wall break type thing!

But I agree series 6 probably gets a little too much of a bad rap.
    I do agree that the angels being stationary when only the camera looks at them is one of the cool things about Blink, it adds to their mystery if nobody can ever actually see them move. I think this was the right decision at the time, but during the season 5 episode they felt they needed to add something extra instead of just doing the same thing that they did in Blink and that's why they made them able to move. It definitely removed some of their mystery though, and also since they're supposed to be super fast, you'd think Amy would be rekt within 0.5s. There are a lot of plot holes with the weeping angels episodes, people just seem to ignore them in Blink because it is just such a good episode.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clara was season 7, episode 1 and then from Christmas onward.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.